Ole Kvaal

Default tea and sandwiches?

Hi.
Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
after - my meal.
Thanks in advance

--

regards,
ole k,

Michael Plant

Ole /2/04

> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance

A green tea or a white tea would undoubtedly be overwhelmed by your
sandwich. The fruit and flower of most oolongs (and most likely Darjeelings
too) would clash and compete. A black tea would do nicely. Since most
"common" teabag teas are some combination of Assam and/or Ceylon tea, why
not try a Keemun, a Yunnan, or another Chinese black tea? That's my
suggestion....

.....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....

I left my rucksack, tent, and sleeping bag tied to the back of the motor
scooter (friend's motor scooter) parked on the street, and when we returned
to it three days later the stuff was safe and sound and untouched, as
expected. Try to do that in the middle of New York City, and see what
happens.

Michael

Ole Kvaal

Michael Plant wrote:
> ....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--

mvh,
ole k,

Ole Kvaal

Ole Kvaal wrote:
> Michael Plant wrote:
>> ....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was too surprised to remember to say thanks for your reply :-)
I didn't even imagine someone abroad (I suppose) would know the name
Trondhjem for Trondheim. . . . . .

--

regards,
ole k,

Michael Plant

Ole /2/04

> Ole Kvaal wrote:
>> Michael Plant wrote:
>>> ....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....
>>>

> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Sorry, I was too surprised to remember to say thanks for your reply :-)
> I didn't even imagine someone abroad (I suppose) would know the name
> Trondhjem for Trondheim. . . . . .

Wow. Thanks for your second response. I actually thought you were mad with
me. I wonder if my story could be told today. (It was from the 1960's.) BTW,
I'm drinking Bamboo Fragrance Green Pu-erh. (Some might say, "uncooked
pu-erh.") Very very nice. From Silk Road Tea. There, that's for relevance.

Michael

Ole Kvaal

Michael Plant wrote:

> Wow. Thanks for your second response. I actually thought you were mad
> with me. I wonder if my story could be told today. (It was from the
> 1960's.)

I very much doubt so. The railway station area is probably one of the least
thinkable places to leave your stuff. I mean, now you even have to watch
your pockets (now THAT'S a bit more like New York City, I suppose). Glad to
hear you've got those happy memories, though.

BTW, I'm drinking Bamboo Fragrance Green Pu-erh. (Some might
> say, "uncooked pu-erh.") Very very nice. From Silk Road Tea. There,
> that's for relevance.

Did Pu-erh just once, and it was - eh - very special. Don't expect much
from the local teastore anyway. Later this month I'll start online shopping,
so perhaps I'll find something out there.

--

regards,
ole k,

Leif Thorvaldson

"Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message
> Ole Kvaal wrote:
> > Michael Plant wrote:
> >> ....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Sorry, I was too surprised to remember to say thanks for your reply :-)
> I didn't even imagine someone abroad (I suppose) would know the name
> Trondhjem for Trondheim. . . . . .
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

From Michael's story about the "unstolen" gear on the motorbike and his use
of "Trondhjem," it was apparent to me that Michael's experience was quite
some time in the past. Crime has come to Norway with a vengeance principally
from all the immigrants that have been allowed in the country. The
Norwegians are never satisfied with their language and have had about five
shifts in "approved" spellings and grammar. Ny Norsk (New Norwegian) is an
attempt to resurrect the earlier Norwegian language prior to the Danish and
Swedish influences. School children are expected to be accomplished in
both. Sort of like learning Spanglish or Ebonics along with a test in
English.Reminds me a bit about the French and their efforts to retain
linguistic purity!

mhv,

Leif Thorvaldson
Eatonville, Washington, USA

Dieter Folz

"Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message >...
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance

Hi,

With sandwiches you should drink a tea, which taste and flavour isn't
to fragile. So, every high qualitiy tea would be too good for it. In
the contrast, all every day quality but tasty tea (black or green) you
like will go well with sandwiches, although the tea has some edges,
which will be a nice thing, going with a meal. You have to find out
for yourself. If your sandwiches are a bit stronger (maybe a hearty
bred with a dark crust and / or with a good cheese or a nice (Italian)
salami) try to make the tea a dash stronger too ;-). BTW, after lunch
I would prefer an Earl Grey. In the early afternoon you can enjoy a
cup of a high quality tea of your choice, just to relax and to explore
the taste, but with a meal, a standard quality with some edges is IMHO
the best.

Dieter
Ripon

"Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message news:<uwvTb.1171$rj4.16915> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.

Thanks in advance

Hello Ole:

It's all depending on, what is inside your sandwiches. I think black
tea is always best. My suggestions a-

Chicken or turkey sandwiches- Lapsang Souchong or any sweet, smokey
keemun, Russian Caravan blend
Egg Sandwiches- Darjeeling, Keemun Mao Feng, Golden monkey or red
peony
Beef or Pork sandwiches-Yunnan, any afternoon blend( Assam, Kenya,
Ceylon or Bangladeshi blend)
Vegetable Sandwiches-Gunpowder green or Darjeeling silver tips
Sea food sandwiches- any good Oolong or peppery Keemun
Custard sandwiches- a strong malty assam or Bangladeshi orthodox tea
or Keemun Hao Ya A or B not delicate Keemun Mao Feng

Without milk and sugar. That's my way to enjoy my sandwiches with tea.

Ripon
(Dhaka, Bangladesh)
cc

Hi Ole,

> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break?

Depends on your tastes and habits...

A personnal choice :
Ti Kuan Ying Oolong teas (average quality, light brew, hot or cold) goes
well with about all sort of food. Except maybe smelly cheese, but I don't
think any tea would.
For the rest, that depends what you put in your sandwiches, and of course
your tastes. In general, if it's rich (fat), Jasmine tea and Puer tea,
during or after, they favor digestion, but I don't think that's so pleasant
with a cold meal. If it's lighter, and contains few dairy or meat, simple
green teas are a good match.
Black teas, fruit flavored teas, etc, especially if you add something
(sugar, milk, lemon, spices...) go better with sweet stuff, or after the
meal as a dessert.

Don't forget to drink at least as much water as tea, or you can feel tired
when you're
deshydrated (bread is dry + cafeinated drinks accelerate deshydratation). To
avoid that, I often pack water or cafeineless cold cereal decoctions
(barley, buckwheat or corn) to drink during the meal, for hydratation and as
nutty taste goes well with sandwiches. Later, back at work, I have a cup of
hot green or fragrant oolong.

Kuri

Michael Plant

Default Eventually, It's All Pu-Erh (was: tea and sandwiches?)

Ole /2/04

>> BTW, I'm drinking Bamboo Fragrance Green Pu-erh. (Some might
>> say, "uncooked pu-erh.") Very very nice. From Silk Road Tea. There,
>> that's for relevance.
>>

> Did Pu-erh just once, and it was - eh - very special. Don't expect much
> from the local teastore anyway. Later this month I'll start online shopping,
> so perhaps I'll find something out there.

Yes, I think in the case of Pu-erh you especially want to get quality. I
recommend -- not that you asked me -- starting with a vendor you can talk
with -- by e-mail at least -- and discuss the specific qualities of the
teas. This afternoon I drank a thirty year old "cooked" pu-erh, which was a
wonderful tea. One of its special qualities was that in the first few
"steeps" it was earthy and bold. Around the fourth steep it started to
become sweeter and sweeter without losing the earthiness; more balance and
style came in later, in other words. BTW, this is a tea from a local
merchant who doesn't sell beyond her little shop and tea drinking place.
Pu-erhs of this quality are available from many places. Mike Petro, Livio,
and others can guide you to European vendors. Hope you find a good one for
yourself.

I'm drinking Wu Dong Bai Yie Dan Cong this morning and I feel as though I've
been forged and reborn. I'm listening to Zaire popular music from 30 years
ago. This is, as many know and all should, the best music the world has yet
produced. It goes perfectly with Phoenix Oolongs of any stripe.

Michael

Michael Plant

Leif 2/2/04

> "Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message
>> Ole Kvaal wrote:
>>>>

> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>> Sorry, I was too surprised to remember to say thanks for your reply :-)
>> I didn't even imagine someone abroad (I suppose) would know the name
>> Trondhjem for Trondheim. . . . . .
>>
>> --
>>
>> regards,
>> ole k,
>> trondheim

> From Michael's story about the "unstolen" gear on the motorbike and his use
> of "Trondhjem," it was apparent to me that Michael's experience was quite
> some time in the past. Crime has come to Norway with a vengeance principally
> from all the immigrants that have been allowed in the country. The
> Norwegians are never satisfied with their language and have had about five
> shifts in "approved" spellings and grammar. Ny Norsk (New Norwegian) is an
> attempt to resurrect the earlier Norwegian language prior to the Danish and
> Swedish influences. School children are expected to be accomplished in
> both. Sort of like learning Spanglish or Ebonics along with a test in
> English.Reminds me a bit about the French and their efforts to retain
> linguistic purity!
>
> mhv,
>
> Leif Thorvaldson
> Eatonville, Washington, USA

Yeah, Norway is one of the more amusing exponents of language purity, but
certainly not the only one that offers entertainment. In a way, it's a bit
of a shame to move your language into a realm where only you can understand
it. After all, Old Norwegean (Gamel Norsk?) is/was pretty assessible to
Danes and Swedes. But, hey, whatever you speak, if you're drinking tea, all
is well. (I'm not sure this applies to Liptons; I'll leave that to ya'll.)

I have pretty strong opinions aboiut "Ebonics". Perhaps this isn't the
place....

Michael

Mike Petro

OK Michael, quit teasing ;-)

Tell us more about this 30 year old black, and the cool local shop. I
am culture challenged in that my little town offers nothing beyond
teabag peddlers. Hence my affinity for online sources... The nearest
Chinatown is about 800 miles and the nearest Asian community is about
60 miles away but they offer little more that just an Asian market and
teabag style puerh. Whenever I travel I always go out of my way to
visit tea shops when I can. When I lived in Somerset MA I would go
into Boston's Chinatown but never had a lot of luck finding the really
good stuff.

I would appreciate any local shop recommendations, particularly those
that know about puerh, that RFDT readers could offer. Maybe I can work
one of them in to my next vacation...

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:10:30 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>Ole /2/04
>
>>> BTW, I'm drinking Bamboo Fragrance Green Pu-erh. (Some might
>>> say, "uncooked pu-erh.") Very very nice. From Silk Road Tea. There,
>>> that's for relevance.
>>>

>> Did Pu-erh just once, and it was - eh - very special. Don't expect much
>> from the local teastore anyway. Later this month I'll start online shopping,
>> so perhaps I'll find something out there.

>Yes, I think in the case of Pu-erh you especially want to get quality. I
>recommend -- not that you asked me -- starting with a vendor you can talk
>with -- by e-mail at least -- and discuss the specific qualities of the
>teas. This afternoon I drank a thirty year old "cooked" pu-erh, which was a
>wonderful tea. One of its special qualities was that in the first few
>"steeps" it was earthy and bold. Around the fourth steep it started to
>become sweeter and sweeter without losing the earthiness; more balance and
>style came in later, in other words. BTW, this is a tea from a local
>merchant who doesn't sell beyond her little shop and tea drinking place.
>Pu-erhs of this quality are available from many places. Mike Petro, Livio,
>and others can guide you to European vendors. Hope you find a good one for
>yourself.
>
>I'm drinking Wu Dong Bai Yie Dan Cong this morning and I feel as though I've
>been forged and reborn. I'm listening to Zaire popular music from 30 years
>ago. This is, as many know and all should, the best music the world has yet
>produced. It goes perfectly with Phoenix Oolongs of any stripe.
>
>Michael

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Michael Plant

Default Eventually, It's All Pu-Erh

Mike 2/3/04

> OK Michael, quit teasing ;-)
>
> Tell us more about this 30 year old black, and the cool local shop. I
> am culture challenged in that my little town offers nothing beyond
> teabag peddlers. Hence my affinity for online sources... The nearest
> Chinatown is about 800 miles and the nearest Asian community is about
> 60 miles away but they offer little more that just an Asian market and
> teabag style puerh. Whenever I travel I always go out of my way to
> visit tea shops when I can. When I lived in Somerset MA I would go
> into Boston's Chinatown but never had a lot of luck finding the really
> good stuff.
>
> I would appreciate any local shop recommendations, particularly those
> that know about puerh, that RFDT readers could offer. Maybe I can work
> one of them in to my next vacation...

The teashop in question is called "Big Apple." It is in Manhattan, New York
City, on Howard Street one little block north of Canal Street, and between
Broadway and Lafayette Streets. It serves most tea rather professionally,
but friendily in gungfu style. Gaiwan service is also available. They carry
only two pu-erhs, one of which I'm referring to. When you come to NYC, we'll
take you on the grand teahouse tour. We have several of different styles,
well worth visiting. Big Apple Tea House is a Lew Perin find.

I have nothing but the owner's word that the pu-erh in question is actually
30 years old. But, the tea's behavior suggests that this is true.

Michael

Dog Ma 1

"cc" > wrote in message

> Ti Kuan Ying Oolong teas (average quality, light brew, hot or cold) goes
> well with about all sort of food. Except maybe smelly cheese, but I don't
> think any tea would.

While not a big fan of Limburger-type stinkers, I am addicted to Stilton.
Have found it difficult to get the stuff here in the US - what's for sale
generally started as low-quality production, or (almost universally) has
been mis-handled and tastes awful.

I had the good fortunate recently to have a friend bring over a whole 18-lb
Cropwell Bishop Stilton. It's one of the top makers, and was absolutely
fabulous. I served it at several parties, gave away a bit, and ate most of
it myself (burrrp).

Although the texture falls apart, hard cheeses generally freeze OK. So I put
by a pound or so for emergencies. My first pu-erhs seemed to qualify, so I
pulled out a block and thawed it.

I can now report: really smelly $1.79 tuo-cha pu-erh and Stilton does NOT
work. The powers do not cancel, merge, blend gracefully or transform
magically into something else. It was awful!

But at least I tried.

-DM

Lars Mehlum

Hei Ole,

Hyggelig aa se en annen te-interessert nordmann her!
Jeg er forresten også fra Trondhjem, men bor i Bergen.

(English: Nice to see another tea-interested Norwegian here! I'm from
Trondhjem too, but live in Bergen)

Lars
"Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice

> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

Michael Plant

Lars /3/04

> Hei Ole,
>
> Hyggelig aa se en annen te-interessert nordmann her!
> Jeg er forresten også fra Trondhjem, men bor i Bergen.
>
> (English: Nice to see another tea-interested Norwegian here! I'm from
> Trondhjem too, but live in Bergen)
>
> Lars
> "Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message
>> Hi.
>> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
>> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice

>> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
>> after - my meal.
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> --
>>
>> regards,
>> ole k,
>> trondheim

Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

Michael

Jeremy

Ole Kvaal wrote:

> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

A lot of good suggestions already, but definitely black. I have fond
memories of en arm av sognefjord med bygdene Aurland, sitting in a snow
bank with a beautiful Norwegian girl and drinking hot black tea with our
salmon roe and cheese sandwiches. Last I heard she was working on a
sheep research station somewhere near where you are.

Leif Thorvaldson

Hei, Lars! Hyggelig å ha to nordmenner og en norskamerikaner på gruppen.
Ser også at du staver Trondheim, Trondhjem -- godt å lese! Familien er fra
Sørlandet og for den meste part bor der enda. Jeg var født i New York men
bor i Staten av Washington.

Translation: Hi, Lars! Nice to have two Norwegians and a
Norwegian-American on the group. I see that you spell Trondheim
"Trondhjem" -- good to see. My family is from Southern Norway and most
still live there. I was born in New York but live in the State of
Washington.

Leif

"Lars Mehlum" > wrote in message
> Hei Ole,
>
> Hyggelig aa se en annen te-interessert nordmann her!
> Jeg er forresten også fra Trondhjem, men bor i Bergen.
>
> (English: Nice to see another tea-interested Norwegian here! I'm from
> Trondhjem too, but live in Bergen)
>
> Lars
> "Ole Kvaal" > wrote in message
> > Hi.
> > Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> > sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice

> > my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> > after - my meal.
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> >
> > regards,
> > ole k,
> > trondheim

Jarmo Louet

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:20:35 GMT, Michael Plant >
>Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
>Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

Quite a few, apparently, and here's one more Scandinavian from
Finland. I've been to Norway once (traveled from Mo i Rana to the
Lofoten islands), but unfortunately I don't speak the language. I do
speak a bit of Swedish, though.

To keep this even a little bit tea-related, I'd like to add that most
of the time you folks talk about teas I've never even heard of.
Finland is, sadly, a coffee-nation. Although the tea-situation here
has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 years or so, the shops
still tend to sell only the usual as-cheap-as-possible Twinings and
Lipton varieties and some flavored Assam-Ceylon blends. Fortunately,
loose tea is almost as readily available as the bags.

Very nice newsgroup, by the way, I've been following it for a few
months now.

Jarmo Louet
Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.

Michael Plant

Default Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/5/04 01:54jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:20:35 GMT, Michael Plant >
>> Hvor mange Normanner har vi her?
>> Selv er jeg ikke Norman og jeg bor i byen NY i Guds eyet landt.

> Quite a few, apparently, and here's one more Scandinavian from
> Finland. I've been to Norway once (traveled from Mo i Rana to the
> Lofoten islands), but unfortunately I don't speak the language. I do
> speak a bit of Swedish, though.

Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
Sorry guys, that was a joke.

> To keep this even a little bit tea-related, I'd like to add that most
> of the time you folks talk about teas I've never even heard of.
> Finland is, sadly, a coffee-nation. Although the tea-situation here
> has improved tremendously in the last 10-15 years or so, the shops
> still tend to sell only the usual as-cheap-as-possible Twinings and
> Lipton varieties and some flavored Assam-Ceylon blends. Fortunately,
> loose tea is almost as readily available as the bags.

Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
sweetness. I'm a believer.

Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
important as the United States some day.

More of the same: I'm listening to a collection of Italian musical street
chants, which are as rough as this tea is soft.

> Very nice newsgroup, by the way, I've been following it for a few
> months now.

And welcome to it, Jarmo.

Michael

Jarmo Louet

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:59:28 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
>Sorry guys, that was a joke.

Well, they are very closely related. Finnish belongs to a totally
different family of languages, though. It's not even an Indo-European
language, so you'd really have to go way back to find a common
ancestor.

>Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

No, I don't have an international credit card and I don't want to mess
with tolls and customs. Maybe some day, though.

Anyway, I rather like finding new Finnish sources, even if it takes a
bit of effort. I can get organic Lapsang Souchong from one store,
green Makaibari from a second store, good sencha and other Japanese
teas from a third store, some Chinese teas from a fourth store etc.

>Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
>this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
>sweetness. I'm a believer.

Sounds good. I'm drinking Kenya Marinyn GFOP 1 at the moment. It's
much darker and "drier" (not bitter, but totally un-sweet) than I
expected, but good nonetheless.

>Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
>know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
>also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
>development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
>important as the United States some day.

Thank you for the compliment, but Finland is so much smaller country
that I don't think so. I'm studying to become a librarian, however, so
I know a little about this modern "information society" stuff, and we
are doing fairly well in that regard. We have one of the most used
public library systems in the world (providing, among other things,
free Internet access to everyone who wants to use it). Wireless mobile
communications are a big business here as well, thanks to Nokia. It
seems that just about everybody above the age of 5 has a cell phone,
these days.

I didn't (and don't) know about the mice, I'm more of a dog-person.

Jarmo Louet

Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.
Michael Plant

Jarmo 2/6/04 05:32jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:59:28 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>> Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
>> Sorry guys, that was a joke.

> Well, they are very closely related. Finnish belongs to a totally
> different family of languages, though. It's not even an Indo-European
> language, so you'd really have to go way back to find a common
> ancestor.\

Yes, I've heard about Finnish. Related to Hungarian, is it?

>> Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

> No, I don't have an international credit card and I don't want to mess
> with tolls and customs. Maybe some day, though.

As long as you can get what you want from within the borders.

> Anyway, I rather like finding new Finnish sources, even if it takes a
> bit of effort. I can get organic Lapsang Souchong from one store,
> green Makaibari from a second store, good sencha and other Japanese
> teas from a third store, some Chinese teas from a fourth store etc.

Gives you an opportunity to talk to more people, since you have to visit
more stores. Nothing wrong with that.

>> Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
>> this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
>> sweetness. I'm a believer.

> Sounds good. I'm drinking Kenya Marinyn GFOP 1 at the moment. It's
> much darker and "drier" (not bitter, but totally un-sweet) than I
> expected, but good nonetheless.

Nice as the above mentioned Wulong is, it is not quite as nice as the one
available from our trusty local merchant, Big Apple Tea House (BATH).

>> Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
>> know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
>> also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
>> development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
>> important as the United States some day.

> Thank you for the compliment, but Finland is so much smaller country
> that I don't think so.

You are welcome. I'll contact you off line perhaps, if that's OK.

> I'm studying to become a librarian, however, so
> I know a little about this modern "information society" stuff, and we
> are doing fairly well in that regard. We have one of the most used
> public library systems in the world (providing, among other things,
> free Internet access to everyone who wants to use it).

Undoubtedly this is due to the fact that you live in a literate country
where people read books. Tell me, do Finns drink alcoholic beverages?
Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book and a scotch.

>Wireless mobile
> communications are a big business here as well, thanks to Nokia. It
> seems that just about everybody above the age of 5 has a cell phone,
> these days.
>
> I didn't (and don't) know about the mice, I'm more of a dog-person.

Mice are far cooler than dogs. Some of my best friends over the years have
been mice.

Michael

Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
rainy day.

Tee King

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:17:47 GMT, Michael Plant >
tripped the light fantastic, then quipped:

>Mice are far cooler than dogs. Some of my best friends over the years have
>been mice.
>
>Michael

I don't know if mice are cooler, but they're at least as cool. Easier
to train than many dogs, too. I've only had one mouse, but I've had
several rats, and they make absolutely wonderful pets. I wish I
hadn't become allergic to them; I miss their company. Just call me
"Willard".

Tee
http://www.geocities.com/tee_king
Remove -no-spam- to email me.
Jarmo Louet

wrote:

>Yes, I've heard about Finnish. Related to Hungarian, is it?

Yes, but I'm afraid it would take a linguist to notice.

>You are welcome. I'll contact you off line perhaps, if that's OK.

Yes, of course.

>Undoubtedly this is due to the fact that you live in a literate country
>where people read books. Tell me, do Finns drink alcoholic beverages?

Sure. About the same as in most Western countries, I suppose. Most do,
some don't, and some drink more than their fair share.

>Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book and a scotch.

Indeed. I don't drink often, but when I do, a bit of rum or whisky is
what I take (straight or with a bit of water).

>Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
>Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
>rainy day.

Never had of either of those. But a bit of tea-trivia in case anyone's
interested: it's "tee" in Finnish. The pronunciation is (in this case)
very similar to German.

Jarmo Louet

Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.

Jarmo Louet

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:08:45 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>The Balafon is a bit esoteric, but the tea is a "must drink". It's a
>full-honey version of an oolong, originally developed to compete with the
>newly successful Darjeeling teas of India at the time. Can I send you some?

Now that took me by surprise... Umm, I'll send you email about it, if
you don't mind (I assume the address above is real).

By they way, I misread what you wrote earlier: I thought El Hadj Djeli
Sory Koyate was another one of those teas I've never heard of and you
were playing the Balafon. Oops.

Jarmo

Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.
Lewis Perin

Michael Plant > writes:

> [...]
> New Brooklyn Tea -- El Hadj Djeli Sory Koyate -- available in tiny
> lots from old trees found in Prospect Park. (Hey, I never said they
> were tea trees.)

Move along, kid. We don't do tisanes on this newsgroup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Jarmo Louet

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:37:43 GMT, Michael Plant >
wrote:

>Nope. But, it's a very cool idea. New Brooklyn Tea -- El Hadj Djeli Sory
>Koyate -- available in tiny lots from old trees found in Prospect Park.
>(Hey, I never said they were tea trees.)

Sounds like some arabic language to me, and I understand they do drink
tea in Arabic countries as well, so it could have been. Ok, so they
don't exactly have the optimal climate for tea trees, but...

Jarmo
Replace # in my email address by @ to reply.
Vaihda osoitteen risuaidan tilalle @-merkki.

Dog Ma 1

Default Tea and weird foods (was ... sandwiches)

"Dog Ma 1" (reply w/o spam)> wrote in message

> I can now report: really smelly $1.79 tuo-cha pu-erh and Stilton does NOT
> work. The powers do not cancel, merge, blend gracefully or transform
> magically into something else. It was awful!

Several people have provided me with much better Pu-erhs, and I also bought
a couple of beenchas in NY. They still don't work with Stilton. Hey, ya
gotta try - who would have guessed that chocolate and peanut butter works so
well?

Anyway, I brought gong-fu kit, nice cups and some Dan Cong to a friend's
house to watch a string theory video (OK, what do you do for fun of a
Sunday?) One of the guys had just returned from Singapore with a pile of
freeze-dried durian. The tea was terrific, the durian pretty good
considering most of the aroma had been left behind. But the combination was
much nastier than one might expect.

Just thought I'd pass on this valuable information that may be applicable to
so many people's daily dietary choices.

-DM

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004 at 1:10:58 AM UTC+8, Ole Kvaal wrote:
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

Buckwheat tea, i think this is good choice for you. This tartary buckwheat has been roasted in the Chinese traditional way; full of roasted, pleasing nuttiness and sweetness. After brew the tartary buckwheat, you can still eat the buckwheat as well. https://www.jkteashop.com/buckwheat-tea-p-302.html
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Monday, February 2, 2004 at 10:40:58 PM UTC+5:30, Ole Kvaal wrote:
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

Hello Ole,
You can easily have white tea or oolong tea along with your lunch. They are not only light and refreshing but will also keep you active all day long. And they are low on caffeine.
In case you are wondering where to get it from, I would recommend Halmari tea. You can get a lot of varieties of tea online at a very reasonable rate. All of them are sourced from the premium tea estates of Assam, India. Here's the link to their website -https://www.halmaritea.co.uk/teas/

Have a great day (and lunch)!
Regards,
Mary
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Monday, February 2, 2004 at 10:40:58 PM UTC+5:30, Ole Kvaal wrote:
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

Hi Ole,
You can have white tea or oolong tea at lunch along with your meal. It will keep you freshened and active. Also, they are low in caffeine.
You can get superior quality tea at a very affordable rate at Halmari tea. Their garden fresh teas are sourced from the tea estates of Assam, India.

Regards,
Mary

Member

Location: India

Ham, Brie and Apple Tea Sandwich. ...
Cucumber-Butter Tea Sandwich. ...
Olive-Focaccia Tea Sandwich. ...
Crab Salad Tea Sandwich. ...
Curried Egg Salad Tea Sandwich. ...
Liverwurst-Onion Tea Sandwich. ...
Mortadella-Watercress Tea Sandwich. ...
Ham-Cornbread Tea Sandwich.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004 at 2:10:58 AM UTC+9, Ole Kvaal wrote:
> Hi.
> Any suggestions what sort of tea I could drink along with a couple of
> sandwiches in my lunch break? Until now, I've been drinking orange juice to
> my lunch, but I'd much rather find a tea that would go nicely with - and
> after - my meal.
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> regards,
> ole k,
> trondheim

I suggest you drink Japanese green tea. There are lots of benefits you can get from it. It can even reduce the aging process and remain young. Read more hehttps://lowsugardrinks.com/blog/bene...ing-green-tea/

Good luck!

50 Sandwiches to Eat before you Die BigBadBubba General Cooking 179 05-11-2010 05:59 PM
Sandwiches Dimitri General Cooking 86 19-03-2010 12:34 AM
Recipe: Beef Sandwiches - Knock-off of Damsel's Chicago Beef Sandwiches Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 1 08-07-2007 06:52 PM
Ham Pan Sandwiches Sharon[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-02-2007 12:52 PM
Ice Cream Sandwiches Duckie ® Recipes 0 19-07-2005 11:21 PM