Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Michael Plant

Default tea and sandwiches?

Leif 2/2/04

"Ole Kvaal" wrote in message
Ole Kvaal wrote:
Michael Plant wrote:
....which reminds me of my Trondhjem story....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was too surprised to remember to say thanks for your reply :-)
I didn't even imagine someone abroad (I suppose) would know the name
Trondhjem for Trondheim. . . . . .

--

regards,
ole k,

From Michael's story about the "unstolen" gear on the motorbike and his use
of "Trondhjem," it was apparent to me that Michael's experience was quite
some time in the past. Crime has come to Norway with a vengeance principally
from all the immigrants that have been allowed in the country. The
Norwegians are never satisfied with their language and have had about five
shifts in "approved" spellings and grammar. Ny Norsk (New Norwegian) is an
attempt to resurrect the earlier Norwegian language prior to the Danish and
Swedish influences. School children are expected to be accomplished in
both. Sort of like learning Spanglish or Ebonics along with a test in
English.Reminds me a bit about the French and their efforts to retain
linguistic purity!

mhv,

Leif Thorvaldson
Eatonville, Washington, USA

Yeah, Norway is one of the more amusing exponents of language purity, but
certainly not the only one that offers entertainment. In a way, it's a bit
of a shame to move your language into a realm where only you can understand
it. After all, Old Norwegean (Gamel Norsk?) is/was pretty assessible to
Danes and Swedes. But, hey, whatever you speak, if you're drinking tea, all
is well. (I'm not sure this applies to Liptons; I'll leave that to ya'll.)

I have pretty strong opinions aboiut "Ebonics". Perhaps this isn't the
place....

Michael