Michael Plant

Default Como se dice "tea and sandwiches" auf Norsk?

Jarmo 2/6/04 05:32jarmo.louet#mbnet.fi

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:59:28 GMT, Michael Plant wrote:
>> Swedish, Norwegian, Danish; hey, what's the difference?
>> Sorry guys, that was a joke.

> Well, they are very closely related. Finnish belongs to a totally
> different family of languages, though. It's not even an Indo-European
> language, so you'd really have to go way back to find a common
> ancestor.\

Yes, I've heard about Finnish. Related to Hungarian, is it?

>> Are you getting your tea from foreign suppliers?

> No, I don't have an international credit card and I don't want to mess
> with tolls and customs. Maybe some day, though.

As long as you can get what you want from within the borders.

> Anyway, I rather like finding new Finnish sources, even if it takes a
> bit of effort. I can get organic Lapsang Souchong from one store,
> green Makaibari from a second store, good sencha and other Japanese
> teas from a third store, some Chinese teas from a fourth store etc.

Gives you an opportunity to talk to more people, since you have to visit
more stores. Nothing wrong with that.

>> Relevant: I'm drinking a Wulong from Shan Shui Teas in Washington, DC, USA,
>> this morning. Very soft and round and gentle with a hint of astringency and
>> sweetness. I'm a believer.

> Sounds good. I'm drinking Kenya Marinyn GFOP 1 at the moment. It's
> much darker and "drier" (not bitter, but totally un-sweet) than I
> expected, but good nonetheless.

Nice as the above mentioned Wulong is, it is not quite as nice as the one
available from our trusty local merchant, Big Apple Tea House (BATH).

>> Not relevant: I'm a mouse guy, having owned a number of pet mice, and I
>> know for a fact that Finland is well respected in the pet mouse world. I
>> also know that Finland has been a front runner in internet use and
>> development. So, given time and tea, Finland could become as big and
>> important as the United States some day.

> Thank you for the compliment, but Finland is so much smaller country
> that I don't think so.

You are welcome. I'll contact you off line perhaps, if that's OK.

> I'm studying to become a librarian, however, so
> I know a little about this modern "information society" stuff, and we
> are doing fairly well in that regard. We have one of the most used
> public library systems in the world (providing, among other things,
> free Internet access to everyone who wants to use it).

Undoubtedly this is due to the fact that you live in a literate country
where people read books. Tell me, do Finns drink alcoholic beverages?
Sometimes it's nice to sit down with a book and a scotch.

>Wireless mobile
> communications are a big business here as well, thanks to Nokia. It
> seems that just about everybody above the age of 5 has a cell phone,
> these days.
>
> I didn't (and don't) know about the mice, I'm more of a dog-person.

Mice are far cooler than dogs. Some of my best friends over the years have
been mice.

Michael

Forgot to mention: I'm drinking Bai Hao today paired to El Hadj Djeli Sory
Kouyate playing Mandinka Balafon. Can't go wrong, especially since it's a
rainy day.