Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

what size eggs do those electric egg cookers need for soft and hard
boiled eggs? large? Extra large?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can easily put XL or even Jumbo eggs in my Oster cooker. I put them in each "hole" as instructed,
and then one in the middle, pricked hole-end up, and then put the lid on. If it seems the lid is not fitting
tightly, just scrootch (my word) the lid around a little, and the eggs will settle into a position where the
lid will fit tightly.

If you are u sure about the size, try extra-large first. They should fit o.k.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
>because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>
>N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 10:15:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
>>because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>>
>>N.

> N.
> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> spots. Those spots make me gag.
> Janet US

Here we go again....

The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
another gadget.

I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
it gets shocked.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:12:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 10:15:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
>>>because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>>>
>>>N.

>> N.
>> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
>> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
>> spots. Those spots make me gag.
>> Janet US

>Here we go again....
>
>The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
>boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
>another gadget.
>
>I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:
>
>https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html
>
>Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
>previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
>solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
>it gets shocked.
>
>-sw

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
>> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>>
>> N.

> N.
> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> spots. Those spots make me gag.
> Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:15:42 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
> >Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
> >because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
> >
> >N.

> N.
> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> spots. Those spots make me gag.
> Janet US

I like eggs with no green yolks. I used to make an egg salad that was just beautiful in color. This is accomplished by cooling the eggs down in ice water right after you finish cooking. This suppresses the funky color on the yolk. The purity of the color of a yolk made this way might surprise you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:01:57 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
> >> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
> >>
> >> N.

> > N.
> > I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> > smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> > spots. Those spots make me gag.
> > Janet US
> >

> I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
> 11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> though.

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
>> know about soft-cooked
>> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>>
>> N.

> N.
> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> spots. Those spots make me gag.
> Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

==

I think she is just interested in allowing a machine to do it for her, so
that hopefully, it has consistent results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:01:57 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
> >> know about soft-cooked
> >> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
> >>
> >> N.

> > N.
> > I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> > smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> > spots. Those spots make me gag.
> > Janet US
> >

> I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
> 11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> though.

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

==

Have they been 'hard boiled'?

They do look lovely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:27:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:01:57 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

> > > N.
> > > I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> > > smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> > > spots. Those spots make me gag.
> > > Janet US
> > >

> > I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> > eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
> > 11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> > though.

> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ
>
> ==
>
> Have they been 'hard boiled'?
>
> They do look lovely!

They were boiled in water. I don't know what they're called - it's just what I see being served in ramen shops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:27:04 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:01:57 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

> > > N.
> > > I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> > > smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> > > spots. Those spots make me gag.
> > > Janet US
> > >

> > I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> > eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
> > 11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> > though.

> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ
>
> ==
>
> Have they been 'hard boiled'?
>
> They do look lovely!

They were boiled in water. I don't know what they're called - it's just what
I see being served in ramen shops.

==

OK, what I meant was, have they been boiled in their shells or poached. My
poached look a lot like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, good for you vis a vis an egg cooker. There is no substitute, IMO...no matter how carefully one
follows any person's "expert" directions. You could take the egg directly from a hen's nest, put it in a
cooker, let the cooker do the work based on how much water you put in the cooker, take it out when the
cooker turns itself off, run a little cold water over the egg until cool enough to peel, and peel it perfectly.

Janet, to get the exact degree of hard-boiled you want, without any degree of grayish or greenish ring between
yolk and white, you will probably have to experiment a little. If you use medium size eggs, for example,
a perfect hard-boiled egg might take a little less water than a large or XL egg would take. That is, unless
your directions say what size egg was used to determine their directions. I suggest adjusting the amount of
water a T. at a time. OTOH, the water level designated in the base of the cooker may be perfect for the
size of egg you use. I use Jumbo eggs, and have never had to adjust the water level. But I use the cooker
only for poached (mine does 4 at a time) or for deviled eggs, where a slight ring doesn't show.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 15:01:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
>>> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
>>>
>>> N.

>> N.
>> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
>> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
>> spots. Those spots make me gag.
>> Janet US
>>

>I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
>eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
>11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
>though.

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white. If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white. Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white. Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk. It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
>
> On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
> >> know about soft-cooked
> >> because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P
> >>
> >> N.

> > N.
> > I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
> > smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
> > spots. Those spots make me gag.
> > Janet US
> >

> I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
> 11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> though.
>
> ==
>
> I think she is just interested in allowing a machine to do it for her, so
> that hopefully, it has consistent results.

She might get more consistent results but if she wants to have clean, yellow, yolks, she's going to have to take them out of the cooker and ice the eggs down manually. It's a fairly critical step!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-03 3:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily.Â* I want firm,
>> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
>> spots.Â* Those spots make me gag.
>> Janet US
>>

> I love the soft center.Â* I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
> eggs right from the fridge.Â* For your choice, 13 minutes.Â* I like 10 to
> 11 though but too soft for you.Â* Not sure how far to get the ugly green
> though.

I found the easiest way is to not bother with hard and soft boiled eggs.
I like the soft boiled eggs to cooked enough that there are no snotty
bits in the white. I like hard boiled to be just a little soft in the
middle. I never mastered getting them right, so I stick to the ways that
I can see how they are and not have to guess if they are right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
> I want all liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

> If I am eating poached I want
> all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.

Yes!

> Fried eggs must be over easy
> with liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

> Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
> softness to the yolk.

Yes!

> It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
> this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 12:13:05 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >
> > There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
> > I want all liquid yolk and firm white.
> >

> Yes!
> >
> > If I am eating poached I want
> > all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.
> >

> Yes!
> >
> > Fried eggs must be over easy
> > with liquid yolk and firm white.
> >

> Yes!
> >
> > Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
> > softness to the yolk.
> >

> Yes!
> >
> > It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
> > this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
> > Janet US

You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters. It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters.

I've seen cooking shows where they will spotlight Chinese cooks/restaurants
and yes, the egg is almost unrecognizable after it comes out of that volcanic
oil.

> It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.

As well as here in the USA. A badly prepared egg is what was the cause of
my mother's problems that resulted in her death months later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 1:29:37 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters.
> >

> I've seen cooking shows where they will spotlight Chinese cooks/restaurants
> and yes, the egg is almost unrecognizable after it comes out of that volcanic
> oil.
> >
> > It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.
> >

> As well as here in the USA. A badly prepared egg is what was the cause of
> my mother's problems that resulted in her death months later.

Sorry to hear abut your mother. I did not know that eggs could kill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 14:13:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
>> I want all liquid yolk and firm white.
>>

>Yes!
>>
>> If I am eating poached I want
>> all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.
>>

>Yes!
>>
>> Fried eggs must be over easy
>> with liquid yolk and firm white.
>>

>Yes!
>>
>> Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
>> softness to the yolk.
>>

>Yes!
>>
>> It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
>> this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
>> Janet US

We are the Eggstocracy!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:12:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 10:15:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

>>> N.
>>> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
>>> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
>>> spots. Those spots make me gag.
>>> Janet US

>>Here we go again....
>>
>>The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
>>boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
>>another gadget.
>>
>>I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:
>>
>>https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html
>>
>>Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
>>previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
>>solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
>>it gets shocked.
>>
>>-sw

>yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
>cooker this time.

Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
temperature and start them in cold water, perfectly cooked every time
in 12 minutes from once the water starts to boil. I boil eggs in a
fry basket, so I can plunge them all at once into ice water, every one
peels easily. I typically boil a carton of eighteen at once. We
don't like soft boiled but we do like runny fried. We have no
cholesterol issues so we don't count how many eggs we eat.
I think those egg cooker gizmos are for those who worry about how many
eggs they eat.... I wouldn't bother cooking eggs for less than a half
dozen each... we can each eat a half dozen sunny side ups. However we
don't eat eggs every day, maybe 1-2 times a month. Neither of us are
breakfast people, we never eat the typical bacon/sausage n' eggs for
breakfast... I never eat breakfast and my wife eats two pieces of
toast with raspbery jam but only because she must eat something before
taking her meds. For us eggs is usually for dinner, a potato
frittata, or a sliced egg sandwich for lunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:05:26 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> Sorry to hear abut your mother. I did not know that eggs could kill.

Thank you, she's been gone a loooong time but a spoiled egg and a weakened
immune system can do a person in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:15:09 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 14:13:02 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >>
> >> There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
> >> I want all liquid yolk and firm white.
> >>

> >Yes!
> >>
> >> If I am eating poached I want
> >> all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.
> >>

> >Yes!
> >>
> >> Fried eggs must be over easy
> >> with liquid yolk and firm white.
> >>

> >Yes!
> >>
> >> Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
> >> softness to the yolk.
> >>

> >Yes!
> >>
> >> It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
> >> this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
> >> Janet US

> We are the Eggstocracy!!!!

I did a poached egg in the microwave per instructions for a 1200 watt machine.
But I had to cook my egg about 15 seconds longer to firm up those snotty whites.
It might have had something to do with the jumbo eggs I was using vs. large/ex-
large eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 19:33:35 -0500, wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:12:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>>I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

>>>Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
>>>previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
>>>solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
>>>it gets shocked.

>>yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
>>cooker this time.

> Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
> temperature and start them in cold water

Which is exactly the way not to do it. I don't believe you get 100%
peelable eggs doing that because I get less than 10% that way.

Just another contradictory tall tale of yours.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
> cooker this time.

I don't get it then. I don't know why anybody who has a pan, water,
and stove needs an egg cooker <shrug>.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the clock or setting a timer, etc. A
cooker will turn itself off when the eggs are done, and the click noise it makes when it turns
off is a reliable signal that the eggs are done. I don't get the confusion over why use a cooker.
I love mine. I have used one since 1962. I know the people who have used them and told me
(voluntarily) that they loved theirs are not just saying that. As I often say, to each his/her own.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2019, Sqwertz wrote
(in article >):

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ggs-recipe.htm

> > > yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
> > > cooker this time.

> > Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
> > temperature and start them in cold water

> Which is exactly the way not to do it. I don't believe you get 100%
> peelable eggs doing that because I get less than 10% that way.

I was always told that it is the membrane under the shell that makes an egg
easy (or not) to peel.

It is the way you break the shell which matters more than the cooking
process. I think it needs cracking first at the pointy end, but it is so long
since I had hard boiled eggs I cant quite remember.

I like mine scrambled - just; not hard and rubbery but the consistency of a
good risotto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:

> I like mine scrambled - just; not hard and rubbery but the consistency of a
> good risotto.

Same as I like scrambled eggs. Have to take it off the stove a
bit early since it keeps cooking for a bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 10:50:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

>YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.

You'd not think so when you find out that meat is boneless skinless
ferret.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 11:27:02 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Fruitiest of Fruitcakes wrote:
>>
>> I like mine scrambled - just; not hard and rubbery but the consistency of a
>> good risotto.

>Same as I like scrambled eggs. Have to take it off the stove a
>bit early since it keeps cooking for a bit.

We like hard cooked sliced egg sandwiches, my wife often brings that
for school lunch, or I prepare potato fritattas for dinner. Very
occasionally we'll have over easys for dinner atop of hash, but very
rarely scrambled... we don't much care for scrambled, that's
flavorless hospital food. We also like hard cooked quartered eggs in
tossed salads. We tend to eat a lot of hard cooked eggs which is why
I'll typically cook the entire 18 egg carton. I don't have an
electric egg cooker becaue when I looked at them years ago at most
they'd cook six at a time... but I just looked at Amazon and now they
have electic egg cookers that can do 14 at a time, so I may rethink
this... but with an electric egg cooker you still need to peel them,
and so far I haven't read where anyone mentioned the peelability of
electric cooker eggs. The eggs I boil in a pot of water the way I do
them they practically peel themselves... I pierce the shell... really
just uses a lot of ice, I use two trays worth, 24 large cubes, not
those baby minis from ice makers.

As an aside I'd never want a fridge that makes ice; they all make mini
cubes and all ice maker ice SCHTINKS, literally, from whatever
schmelly food is in the fridge, ice absorbs odors rapidly, and no one
cleans their ice maker or its container for years, if ever, I do not
appreciate my Crystal Palace schtinkin' from garlicy pasta sauce
etc... in case yoose don't know bacteria, mold, and assorted germs
live and reproduce very nicely in temperatures well below freezing...
ice from ALL ice makers will make you sick, gauranteed! Especially
ice from restaurants, most expecially ice from fast food joints, and
hotel/motel ice machine bins are rife with feces from hordes of ass
wiping hands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon, my post specifically mentioned how easy the cooker eggs are to peel because
The fat end is pierced before steaming in the cooker.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 09:39:48 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Sheldon, my post specifically mentioned how easy the cooker eggs are to peel because
>The fat end is pierced before steaming in the cooker.
>
>N.

Thanks, I pierce the fat end of the ones I boil in a pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
> clock or setting a timer, etc.

You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
available in many situations.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
>> clock or setting a timer, etc.

>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.
>
>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>available in many situations.
>
>-sw

If you go back and look at my original post I only asked what size
eggs they used. I was curious about that because I had no idea how
they worked.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:25:04 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
>>> clock or setting a timer, etc.

>>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.
>>
>>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>>available in many situations.
>>
>>-sw

>If you go back and look at my original post I only asked what size
>eggs they used. I was curious about that because I had no idea how
>they worked.
>Janet US

That's idiocy... in a carton of a dozen large eggs all will be a
slightly different size/weight, no two will be exactly alike.
Each egg cooker will cook at slightly different times, even the same
brand and model... with a new appliance it's a no-brainer to
experiment... learning an egg cooker is no different from learning a
microwave oven. Times given in the users manual are at best
estimates. And your Voltage varies at different times during the day.
In some areas Voltage varies substantially. especially when everyone
is home preparing breakfast and again when people arrive home from
work and are turning on electric appliances. My APC battery back up
has a Voltage meter on at all times, Voltage will normally be 120
Volts but there are 5 Volt swings often, swings between 115 Volts and
125 Volts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
>> clock or setting a timer, etc.

>You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
>want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
>it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

>I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
>I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
>universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
>available in many situations.

Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
could say the same about a toaster.