Old 03-01-2019, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

==

I think she is just interested in allowing a machine to do it for her, so
that hopefully, it has consistent results.

She might get more consistent results but if she wants to have clean, yellow, yolks, she's going to have to take them out of the cooker and ice the eggs down manually. It's a fairly critical step!

Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-03 3:01 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/3/2019 12:15 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily.* I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots.* Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center.* I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge.* For your choice, 13 minutes.* I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you.* Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

I found the easiest way is to not bother with hard and soft boiled eggs.
I like the soft boiled eggs to cooked enough that there are no snotty
bits in the white. I like hard boiled to be just a little soft in the
middle. I never mastered getting them right, so I stick to the ways that
I can see how they are and not have to guess if they are right.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.

Yes!

Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk.

Yes!

It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US

Old 03-01-2019, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 12:13:05 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.

Yes!

Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk.

Yes!

It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US

You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters. It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters.

I've seen cooking shows where they will spotlight Chinese cooks/restaurants
and yes, the egg is almost unrecognizable after it comes out of that volcanic
oil.

It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.

As well as here in the USA. A badly prepared egg is what was the cause of
my mother's problems that resulted in her death months later.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 1:29:37 PM UTC-10, wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 4:57:32 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

You should see the way they cook eggs in China, they like to cook the living hell out of those poor critters.

I've seen cooking shows where they will spotlight Chinese cooks/restaurants
and yes, the egg is almost unrecognizable after it comes out of that volcanic
oil.

It's frightful! OTOH, maybe a uncooked egg can kill you in China.

As well as here in the USA. A badly prepared egg is what was the cause of
my mother's problems that resulted in her death months later.

Sorry to hear abut your mother. I did not know that eggs could kill.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 14:13:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.

Yes!

Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk.

Yes!

It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US

We are the Eggstocracy!!!!
Old 04-01-2019, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

Here we go again....

The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
another gadget.

I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
it gets shocked.

-sw

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.

Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
temperature and start them in cold water, perfectly cooked every time
in 12 minutes from once the water starts to boil. I boil eggs in a
fry basket, so I can plunge them all at once into ice water, every one
peels easily. I typically boil a carton of eighteen at once. We
don't like soft boiled but we do like runny fried. We have no
cholesterol issues so we don't count how many eggs we eat.
I think those egg cooker gizmos are for those who worry about how many
eggs they eat.... I wouldn't bother cooking eggs for less than a half
dozen each... we can each eat a half dozen sunny side ups. However we
don't eat eggs every day, maybe 1-2 times a month. Neither of us are
breakfast people, we never eat the typical bacon/sausage n' eggs for
breakfast... I never eat breakfast and my wife eats two pieces of
toast with raspbery jam but only because she must eat something before
taking her meds. For us eggs is usually for dinner, a potato
frittata, or a sliced egg sandwich for lunch.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 6:05:26 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

Sorry to hear abut your mother. I did not know that eggs could kill.

Thank you, she's been gone a loooong time but a spoiled egg and a weakened
immune system can do a person in.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 3:58:28 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white.

Yes!

Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white.

Yes!

Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk.

Yes!

It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US

We are the Eggstocracy!!!!

I did a poached egg in the microwave per instructions for a 1200 watt machine.
But I had to cook my egg about 15 seconds longer to firm up those snotty whites.
It might have had something to do with the jumbo eggs I was using vs. large/ex-
large eggs.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
it gets shocked.

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.

Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
temperature and start them in cold water

Which is exactly the way not to do it. I don't believe you get 100%
peelable eggs doing that because I get less than 10% that way.

Just another contradictory tall tale of yours.

-sw
Old 04-01-2019, 04:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.

I don't get it then. I don't know why anybody who has a pan, water,
and stove needs an egg cooker shrug.

-sw
Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the clock or setting a timer, etc. A
cooker will turn itself off when the eggs are done, and the click noise it makes when it turns
off is a reliable signal that the eggs are done. I don't get the confusion over why use a cooker.
I love mine. I have used one since 1962. I know the people who have used them and told me
(voluntarily) that they loved theirs are not just saying that. As I often say, to each his/her own.

N.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

YUM! Nicely semi-cooked egg plus everything else in that bowl.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Jan 2019, Sqwertz wrote
(in article ):

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 19:33:35 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ggs-recipe.htm

Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
it gets shocked.

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.

Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
temperature and start them in cold water

Which is exactly the way not to do it. I don't believe you get 100%
peelable eggs doing that because I get less than 10% that way.

I was always told that it is the membrane under the shell that makes an egg
easy (or not) to peel.

It is the way you break the shell which matters more than the cooking
process. I think it needs cracking first at the pointy end, but it is so long
since I had hard boiled eggs I cant quite remember.

I like mine scrambled - just; not hard and rubbery but the consistency of a
good risotto.