Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

what size eggs do those electric egg cookers need for soft and hard
boiled eggs? large? Extra large?
Janet US

Old 03-01-2019, 02:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I can easily put XL or even Jumbo eggs in my Oster cooker. I put them in each "hole" as instructed,
and then one in the middle, pricked hole-end up, and then put the lid on. If it seems the lid is not fitting
tightly, just scrootch (my word) the lid around a little, and the eggs will settle into a position where the
lid will fit tightly.

If you are u sure about the size, try extra-large first. They should fit o.k.

N.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US
Old 03-01-2019, 06:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

Here we go again....

The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
another gadget.

I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html

Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
it gets shocked.

-sw

Old 03-01-2019, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
cooker this time.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I like eggs with no green yolks. I used to make an egg salad that was just beautiful in color. This is accomplished by cooling the eggs down in ice water right after you finish cooking. This suppresses the funky color on the yolk. The purity of the color of a yolk made this way might surprise you.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ
Old 03-01-2019, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

==

I think she is just interested in allowing a machine to do it for her, so
that hopefully, it has consistent results.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't
know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

I like my eggs at around 7 to 8 minutes. It's a little messy though.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-z5MZiVe40ypeZ

==

Have they been 'hard boiled'?

They do look lovely!

Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

They were boiled in water. I don't know what they're called - it's just what I see being served in ramen shops.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

OK, what I meant was, have they been boiled in their shells or poached. My
poached look a lot like that.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet, good for you vis a vis an egg cooker. There is no substitute, IMO...no matter how carefully one
follows any person's "expert" directions. You could take the egg directly from a hen's nest, put it in a
cooker, let the cooker do the work based on how much water you put in the cooker, take it out when the
cooker turns itself off, run a little cold water over the egg until cool enough to peel, and peel it perfectly.

Janet, to get the exact degree of hard-boiled you want, without any degree of grayish or greenish ring between
yolk and white, you will probably have to experiment a little. If you use medium size eggs, for example,
a perfect hard-boiled egg might take a little less water than a large or XL egg would take. That is, unless
your directions say what size egg was used to determine their directions. I suggest adjusting the amount of
water a T. at a time. OTOH, the water level designated in the base of the cooker may be perfect for the
size of egg you use. I use Jumbo eggs, and have never had to adjust the water level. But I use the cooker
only for poached (mine does 4 at a time) or for deviled eggs, where a slight ring doesn't show.

N.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Janet, it seems I didn't read the question thoroughly; my bad. I don't know about soft-cooked
because I cannot eat any part of a runny egg....makes me gag. ;-P

N.

N.
I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
spots. Those spots make me gag.
Janet US

I love the soft center. I bring a small pot to boil and add four XL
eggs right from the fridge. For your choice, 13 minutes. I like 10 to
11 though but too soft for you. Not sure how far to get the ugly green
though.

There are eggs and eggs.. If I want a soft boiled egg in an egg cup,
I want all liquid yolk and firm white. If I am eating poached I want
all liquid yolk and soft/firm white. Fried eggs must be over easy
with liquid yolk and firm white. Hard boiled eggs -- no gooey or
softness to the yolk. It's the yolk in transition that makes me gag.
this is all hold over from breakfast as a child.
Janet US