Old 30-06-2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pressure cooker question

I have not been able to replace either the gasket or safety fuse for my
1965 mirro matic. The substitute parts now made do not fit properly.

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic. New Prestos start around $50. The price
climbs as I get into Fagor and others. I like fresh summer vegetables
cooked in the pc. I no longer use it for any other type of food.
therefore, I never use anything other than 15lbs of pressure Presto
starts about $50, Would Presto be satisfactory or should I invest in a
more expensive pc. Thanks Pat

Old 30-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Fagor" eheheheheee

Old 30-06-2007, 03:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

Pat Evans wrote:

I have not been able to replace either the gasket or safety fuse for my
1965 mirro matic. The substitute parts now made do not fit properly.

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic. New Prestos start around $50. The price
climbs as I get into Fagor and others. I like fresh summer vegetables
cooked in the pc. I no longer use it for any other type of food.
therefore, I never use anything other than 15lbs of pressure Presto
starts about $50, Would Presto be satisfactory or should I invest in a
more expensive pc. Thanks Pat

I've cross - posted this to rec.food.preserving, maybe someone there can
help you...

--
Best
Greg

Old 30-06-2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-30, Pat Evans wrote:

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic.

A totally absurd statement.

nb

Old 30-06-2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Magefesa Rapid II Super Pressure Cooker
Stainless, ~$100, least moisture loss in Cooks Illustrated testing, easy
pressure release. Made in Spain (I believe), but can be found on the web.

Tom

Old 30-06-2007, 08:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

This doesn't look like a preserving question.

It's too bad you can't find parts for your Mirro - I think one of my
pressure cookers is a Mirro and if so, I know I'll be just as upset as you
are if I can't find a new gasket when I need one. sigh

Presto has been around awhile. They make the most common pressure canner on
the market (at least in my area).

I've been seeing a pressure cooker that doesn't have the weight and looks
pretty slick. I encouraged my Dad to buy it so I could get a good look at
it, but he decided to just keep his old one. ;

I saw a cool pressure cooker advertised on one of those 'gimme all your
money *right now* TV channels. It was electric, had a timer, no weight,
inserts for multi-layer cooking, all for just over $100. Good thing I'd
hidden my credit card and couldn't find it before the time ran out. ;

Anyway, back to your question - I wouldn't have a worry about finding Presto
parts and $50 over the life of the pot will be very little per year.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old 30-06-2007, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,

On 2007-06-30, Pat Evans wrote:

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic.

A totally absurd statement.

nb

Nb, everyone is entitled to an opinion. :-)
An old and beloved tool has sentimental value.

Kinda like my Griswold frying pans. I'd not touch a Lodge on a bet!

But again, it's a personal preference!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 30-06-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Pat Evans" wrote in message
I have not been able to replace either the gasket or safety fuse for my
1965 mirro matic. The substitute parts now made do not fit properly.

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic. New Prestos start around $50. The price
climbs as I get into Fagor and others. I like fresh summer vegetables
cooked in the pc. I no longer use it for any other type of food.
therefore, I never use anything other than 15lbs of pressure Presto
starts about $50, Would Presto be satisfactory or should I invest in a
more expensive pc. Thanks Pat

You might try here for Mirro parts. I've had good luck obtaining the correct
gaskets, etc for an ancient Presto that I own from them

http://www.cookingandcanning.net/seeallmimonu.html

KW

Old 30-06-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pat Evans wrote:

Presto starts about $50, Would Presto
be satisfactory or should I invest in a
more expensive pc. Thanks Pat

A few years ago, I was checking out the
pressure cookers at a large hardware store,
and they carried a brand which had no gasket.
It was stainless steel, and had a bevelled
edge between the top and the pot. I guess
it held the pressure in just by close fit.

It was expensive, and I didn't need a new
pressure cooker. But at the time I thought
if I were to buy a new pressure cooker and
money was no object, that would be the one
to get.

I haven't seen that type again. I can't
remember the brand. Does anyone know anything
more about that type? I'm wondering how
well it holds the pressure in, and how well
it works otherwise.
Old 30-06-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Pat Evans wrote:

None of the pressure cookers on the market can compare in quality with
my now useless mirromatic.

In Germany, such pressure cooker brands as Fissler, Silit, or WMF are
without doubt of at least as good quality as anything that has ever
appeared on the market anywhere. They are indestructible and as safe as
any pressure cookers anywhere. If you can find them in the USA,
consider them.

Victor
Old 30-06-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

A few years ago, I was checking out the
pressure cookers at a large hardware store,
and they carried a brand which had no gasket.
It was stainless steel, and had a bevelled
edge between the top and the pot. I guess
it held the pressure in just by close fit.

See http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/americancooker.htm.

Victor

Old 03-07-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.preserving

I have not been able to replace either the gasket or safety fuse for my
1965 mirro matic. The substitute parts now made do not fit properly.

Don't give up until you contact the company about it. Go to the
"Contact Us" part of:
http://www.wearever.com/
And look here as well for parts:
http://www.mirroparts.com/