General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question


I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:08:49 -0800, Christine Dabney
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:57:51 -0800, sf wrote:

I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?


I don't have my booklet handy, but I do seem to remember them saying
to wait til the steam was coming out..and to make sure it was a gentle
stream. I have a Fagor too.

I couldn't find where they talk about that, so if you ever run across
it please email the page number for me so I can find it and highlight
it.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 17:07:35 -0800, Christine Dabney
wrote:


My understanding is that you wait for steam to come out, before you
start timing.


Okay. Thanks.

It is supposed to be a lazy stream of steam. Not a
blast of steam... If it is coming out fast and furious, the heat is
too high...and it needs to be turned down til the steam is coming out
slower and more gently.


Aha, thanks for the information! That was going to be a follow up
question because I didn't know how hard the steam should be coming out
either.

I find once the steam starts coming out, I can turn down the heat til
it is coming out in a lazy stream. Usually I can pressure cook stuff
on a fairly low heat.


All right. That's what I did. Thanks.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,727
Default pressure cooker question

sf wrote:
I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?



With my ordinary pressure cooker, timing is supposed to start when the
relief valve pops up AND the pressure regulator jiggles. Does the Fagor
regulator jiggle?

gloria p
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 169
Default pressure cooker question


"sf" wrote in message
...

I have a Fagor and I don't think their booklet is detailed enough for
pressure cooker beginners. They don't talk enough about the basics.
I know when the yellow button pops up, there's pressure in the pot...
but when do I start timing? Do I wait for steam to come out too?


Would this be possibly what you are looking for:
Begin heating with burner set on high heat. Electric stove users please see
note below. When the steam comes out of the automatic valve for first time,
lower the heat to maintain a gentle, steady stream of steam. At this moment,
the COOKING TIME STARTS. It is recommended that a kitchen timer be used to
monitor the exact cooking time.

That is copied and pasted from the fagor express pressure cooker manual. It
is on page 8 of the manual I found. If you have a differnt model or manual,
where different things might be on different pages, the heading that it is
under is "Cooking Time Control".

According to another passsage in the manual that I found: "Indicator:
Indicates whether there is pressure inside the cooker. As the pressure
cooker heats and pressure builds, the pressure indicator (the yellow tipped
rod, located on top of the lid handle) will raise automatically and there
will be a slight amount of steam coming out of the lid handle." So, at
least, on this model, the steam starting to come out and the yellow button
popping up should happen at the same time (ie, it is the steam that makes
the button pop up).

I don't know if what I found it is exactly the same model or manual that you
have, but if you are interested in a searchable PDF copy of the manual, it
is located he
http://www.fagoramerica.com/content/...s%20manual.pdf

Brian Christiansen





Brian Christiansen




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 18:35:04 -0700, "gloria.p"
wrote:

Does the Fagor regulator jiggle?


Unfortunately, no. I used to have pressure cookers like yours... not
that I was an expert or anything like that, but at least it was fairly
obvious when to start timing.


--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 20:50:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

The instructional video that came with mine shows you exactly how to do
it and when to start timing.


You got a video with it? Lucky you!

The instruction manual tells when to
start timing, too, in uppercase letters, even. The recipe boolet that
came with mine also tells when to start timing, but not in uppercase
letters. "-)


What page is it on? I've looked and looked but didn't see those
instructions. I need to highlight that part so I won't miss it again.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:12:41 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
wrote:

Would this be possibly what you are looking for:
Begin heating with burner set on high heat. Electric stove users please see
note below. When the steam comes out of the automatic valve for first time,
lower the heat to maintain a gentle, steady stream of steam. At this moment,
the COOKING TIME STARTS. It is recommended that a kitchen timer be used to
monitor the exact cooking time.

That is copied and pasted from the fagor express pressure cooker manual. It
is on page 8 of the manual I found. If you have a differnt model or manual,
where different things might be on different pages, the heading that it is
under is "Cooking Time Control".

According to another passsage in the manual that I found: "Indicator:
Indicates whether there is pressure inside the cooker. As the pressure
cooker heats and pressure builds, the pressure indicator (the yellow tipped
rod, located on top of the lid handle) will raise automatically and there
will be a slight amount of steam coming out of the lid handle." So, at
least, on this model, the steam starting to come out and the yellow button
popping up should happen at the same time (ie, it is the steam that makes
the button pop up).

I don't know if what I found it is exactly the same model or manual that you
have, but if you are interested in a searchable PDF copy of the manual, it
is located he
http://www.fagoramerica.com/content/...s%20manual.pdf


Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 169
Default pressure cooker question


"sf" wrote in message
...
Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.

You're welcome - I just thought maybe a different pair of eyes looking at
the same (or similar) manual might find it. Though, actually, my "eyes" did
not find, I used the search function in the PDF reader.

Brian Christiansen


  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 14,372
Default pressure cooker question

On 2010-12-06, Omelet wrote:

Wait for the weight to start rocking. That indicates it is up to
pressure... that is presuming it's the same as a Presto. :-) I don't
own a Fagor.


A lot of the newer pressure cookers do not use the rocking weight
design. My PC only allows steam to escape when the maximum pressure
(15lbs) has been exceeded. It's the first of two safety mechanisms
and any escaping steam indicates the pressure TOO high and the heat
needs to be reduced.

I remember my mom's old Presto with the rocking weight. I don't
recall her ever blowing it up, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I do recall, quite vividly, her blowing up our old Okeefe and Merritt
manually lit gas oven more than once, a situation that again concerns
me as our propane stove no longer auto-lights when turned on. I jes
ordered a new igniter part from the manufacturer.

nb


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 61,808
Default pressure cooker question

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 00:48:28 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
...
Found and highlighted it. Thank you - thank you - thank you! I must
have stopped reading at "electric stove users" because I have gas.

You're welcome - I just thought maybe a different pair of eyes looking at
the same (or similar) manual might find it. Though, actually, my "eyes" did
not find, I used the search function in the PDF reader.

I'm still stuck in the past and use physical manuals, so it didn't
even occur to me to use that method. Thanks again!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pressure cooker question Pat Evans General Cooking 16 09-07-2007 09:28 PM
pressure cooker question Gregory Morrow[_32_] Preserving 2 03-07-2007 05:52 PM
Got my new pressure cooker. Now I have a new question. Anne Duhon General Cooking 36 11-08-2004 04:31 AM
Question - WMF pressure cooker TOM KAN PA Cooking Equipment 8 30-06-2004 10:40 PM
Mirro matic pressure cooker question Anne Duhon General Cooking 4 29-06-2004 03:46 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017