Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default egg cooker question

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 23:17:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/7/2019 10:34 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:09:20 -0500, wrote:

My APC battery back up
has a Voltage meter on at all times, Voltage will normally be 120
Volts but there are 5 Volt swings often, swings between 115 Volts and
125 Volts.

You have shitty electric service and a shitty UPS meter. I have a
transformer in my yard (everybody here has half a transformer in
their yard). I consistently get 117/234, rain, wind, show, and
gloom of night. Which is what your lines should read.

A dozen years back I was losing light bulbs in the bathroom in the
morning. I put a meter on it and got 160 volts. Seems like a substation
two miles from me was cranking up in the morning in anticipation of a
few factories starting up and they caused the over voltage. Never
happened again once I notified them.

That's what the neighborhood transformers (on the poles or in the
yards) are for - stepping down the supplied high voltages to useful
household voltages. They should always output fairly consistent
voltages and amps regardless of the intake voltages/amps - except in
the case of large sudden power spikes.

I guess in that first second or so they could still fail to adjust
quick enough to blow out some bulbs. But transformers are usually
better than that these days. But factories need more amps rather
than higher voltages shrug

-sw
Old 08-01-2019, 07:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:10:55 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 21:52:10 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:06:03 -0500, Boron Elgar wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:36:56 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

Sqwerzts, one uses a cooker so as not to spend time watching the
clock or setting a timer, etc.

You still have to set something on the cooker telling it how you
want your eggs cooked. So you still set a timer of some sort. if
it only does hard boiled, then its even more useless.

The included water measuring tube, which also has a pin to piece the
eggshell, has lines on it indicating how much water to add for
soft/hard eggs. Hasn't failed yet.

Ahh, yes, the "convenience" plot thickens.

Indoor plumbing can fit that category, too. You're being foolish.

Huh?

I gave up gadgets long ago. Actually, I never really started them.
I learned from my mother. I'd rather know how to cook using
universal equipment than being tied to some gadget that won't be
available in many situations.

Having a gadget does not mean one does not have skills to prepare
foods without it.. How many situations could I possibly be in where I
would want soft./hard boiled eggs, where my gadget won't be available?
Yikes, it is broken and Amazon will have me another one tomorrow? One
could say the same about a toaster.

If you know how to make eggs on the stove then why are you buying
ANOTHER cooker in the first place? And paying extra for next day
shipping?

Perhaps I should buy all my household goods to match your preferences
and spend my money the way you want me to.

Yes, just like I already said in a tongue-in-cheek response to Janet
which you apparently just read, otherwise.....

Oh, I beg your pardon. I didn't realize you were the ****ing king of
the universe. Sorry, you anal-retentive jerk, but I don't have any
interest in living my life to please you.

Now you're catching on. At least when I'm a pompous ass I usually
do it tongue-in-cheek. But when you do it you're dead serious, Mrs.
"I know every shopping trend and how you shop and what you want"
Elgar.

-sw

Old 08-01-2019, 10:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 21:00:44 +1100, Bruce
wrote:

Sqwertz and Boron: a match made in heaven. On a deserted island.

You giving up your island?

Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwerts, there is NO timer on the cooker. At least on the Oster and Sunbeam cookers,
the degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water that is put in the bottom.
When the water is gone (turned to steam), the cooker turns off. Do a little research
before you criticize.

N.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 16:31:52 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

On 23:06 7 Jan 2019, Boron Elgar wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Good points. Squirt is nitpicking but not doing a very good job of it.

I think not... I've hard cooked darn close to a million eggs in a pot
of water (four gross at a time), no problems... natcherly they could
take all they want, eat all they take, and peel em themselves... funny
how the rebels filled their pockets for snacking later. Don't know
where they got hot sauce as I had none in the food locker, their
mommies must have mailed it. Them southerners just loved hot sauce,
they'd eat everything with hot sauce, well not pussy, that would burn,
probably with bbq sauce.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 23:06 7 Jan 2019, Boron Elgar wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Oh, stop being so butthurt. Nitpicking is insisting that chocolate
covered cherries are Christmas candy.

Really - trying to recruit fellow Sqwertz-haters to bond with you by
sucking up is so... 90's usenet.

(piggybacking due to killfile)

-sw
Old 09-01-2019, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All this talk of eggs. - Was: egg cooker question

On 1/9/2019 7:52 AM, l not -l wrote:
This thread put me in the mood for hard boiled/cooked eggs; there were just
4 eggs left in the carton and that would be enough to satisfy. I am a
steamer, but not evangelistic about it; I simply prefer multi-purpose vs
single-purpose tools and a steamer works for me.

I steamed the 4 eggs to hard cooked and cooled them in an ice bath of a full
tray of rectangular cubes. Any one who uses anything but old-fashioned
rectangular cubes is an idiot and should be flogged, Just kidding.

Two of the eggs were used to make a satisfying, though long overlooked,
breakfast of creamed eggs on toast. I had almost forgotten how good that
could be on a chilly morning, with a cup of steaming coffee. Ah!!

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
versatile eats

If someone wants or needs to use an egg cooker it's fine with me. I
just boil them in a saucepan then run cold water over them. But... I
try NOT to make hard boiled eggs. I'm not a fan of devilled eggs and
things like that.

The other night I cooked three eggs, no more than medium boiled (one was
still slighly runny) for dinner. Spooned the eggs from the shells into
a coffee mug, with butter and S&P added. Mom called it egg-a-cup. It's
something she made for my breakfast when I was a very little girl. I
still enjoy it. I toasted a slice of bakery sourdough bread, lightly
buttered. It hit the spot.

Jill

Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2019 11:12 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 09 Jan 2019 05:52:12a, l not -l told us...

[...]

I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs. I make either egg salad or
devilled eggs. I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
like them on their own. FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
salad totally ruins it for me.

We all have our preferences. I don't like egg salad or devilled eggs so
I never purposefully set out to hard boil them.

Jill
Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

The two remaining eggs will either become egg salad or will be sliced and
added to a salad.

Whatever method employed to make them, hard boiled eggs can be tasty,
versatile eats

yes, i happened to be eating egg salad (eggs, mustard,
miracle whip, sliced up homemade dill pickles and pickle
juice) when i read this for brunch.

i don't usually make egg salad the same way every-
time, but it does tend to stay in the themes of diced
onions, green olives, sweet or sour pickles or both
and then mustard, mayo or mw, sometimes i make toast
but more often than not i just eat it without the
bread and butter.

songbird
Old 09-01-2019, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-09 11:12 a.m., Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I have only two uses for hard boiled eggs. I make either egg salad or
devilled eggs. I don't like them added to anything else and I don't
like them on their own. FOr example, adding hard boiled eggs to potato
salad totally ruins it for me.

I used to love them and used to take them to work with my lunch. After a
couple years of having them almost every day I got tired of them and
haven't had one on years. I have made deviled eggs a few times. I don't
think I have every made an egg salad sandwich for myself. I don't know why.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 05:53:09 -0800 (PST), Nancy2 wrote:

Sqwerts, there is NO timer on the cooker. At least on the Oster and Sunbeam cookers,
the degree of doneness is determined by the amount of water that is put in the bottom.
When the water is gone (turned to steam), the cooker turns off. Do a little research
before you criticize.

Then the timer, in this case, involves carefully measuring water
into a graduated a tube - even more complicated than just turning a
dial.

I think both of missed the point. It's still a timer.

-sw
Old 09-01-2019, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Egg salad on toast...any kind of bread, but I love it on rye...is really tasty, if
one likes egg salad. ;-))

N.