Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default egg cooker question

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 11:16:06 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:12:02 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 10:15:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), Nancy2

>>> N.
>>> I am interested in hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I want firm,
>>> smooth yellow all the way through. (no green) No orangey, softish
>>> spots. Those spots make me gag.
>>> Janet US

>>Here we go again....
>>
>>The "secret" is to start them cold and put them in already or almost
>>boiling water right from the fridge. No need to spend $20-$40 on
>>another gadget.
>>
>>I had 100% given up on HBE for years until I read this:
>>
>>https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...gs-recipe.html
>>
>>Now I get 100% peelable eggs every time (80 of the last 80 eggs,
>>previously 5 out of 50). 12 minutes for a large egg gives you the
>>solid yolk. You'll want to prick the egg so it doesn't crack when
>>it gets shocked.
>>
>>-sw

>yes, I read your post on previous string. I am asking about an egg
>cooker this time.

Before boiling I leave eggs out of the fridge to come to room
temperature and start them in cold water, perfectly cooked every time
in 12 minutes from once the water starts to boil. I boil eggs in a
fry basket, so I can plunge them all at once into ice water, every one
peels easily. I typically boil a carton of eighteen at once. We
don't like soft boiled but we do like runny fried. We have no
cholesterol issues so we don't count how many eggs we eat.
I think those egg cooker gizmos are for those who worry about how many
eggs they eat.... I wouldn't bother cooking eggs for less than a half
dozen each... we can each eat a half dozen sunny side ups. However we
don't eat eggs every day, maybe 1-2 times a month. Neither of us are
breakfast people, we never eat the typical bacon/sausage n' eggs for
breakfast... I never eat breakfast and my wife eats two pieces of
toast with raspbery jam but only because she must eat something before
taking her meds. For us eggs is usually for dinner, a potato
frittata, or a sliced egg sandwich for lunch.