Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

Old 24-07-2010, 01:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

jmcquown wrote:
"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping.
I won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost
that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very
similar.) It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

-sw

I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some
"comps". Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made
in the US. If so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

Jill

Good luck returning that one.
Old 24-07-2010, 02:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:11*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. *So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. *It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen to
make room for it. *I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the Interbake3
pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare room. *LOL

Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. *Ground beef using chuck
roast and/or brisket? *Sausage?

The recipe for Chaurice sausage from The Gumbopages looks simple enough. *I
love Chaurice sausage. *It can be ground as patties or piped into casings.
(I'm sure I'd just start off with the patties.) *The recipe looks pretty
simple:

Chaurice

* * * *4 pounds lean fresh pork, butt or shoulder
* * * 2 pounds fresh pork fat
* * * 2 cups onion, finely minced
* * * 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
* * * 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
* * * 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* * * 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* * * 8 teaspoons salt
* * * 2 teaspoons freshly ground red pepper
* * * 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
* * * 5 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* * * 3 bay leaves, finely crushed
* * * 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* * * 3 yards small sausage casing (optional)

Cut the pork at fatback into small pieces. Mix together and run once through
the coarse disc of a meat grinder, into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and
mix thoroughly until the stuffing is very smooth and well-blended.

Make into patties, and use within three days or freeze. Also, you can stuff
the chaurice into casings; make each sausage about six inches in length.

YIELD: Approximately 18 servings.

I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. *Even if I did, I
don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.

What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 2:11*pm, "jmcquown"

What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Wow sounds like you bought a godzilla of a grinder I don't own one
but have used a food processor to grind beef for burgers - well worth
doing, you can grill a burger rare without fear of salmonilla, control
the texture ( i like very coarse), and incorporate additional
ingrediants, eg cubes of frozen Maytag blue cheese and smoked bacon
fried crispy and crumbled. Enjoy, let us know what you come up
with!

Old 24-07-2010, 03:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down
and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA
and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
those for stuffing sausage casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen
to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the
Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
room. LOL
Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
ingredient.
Old 24-07-2010, 04:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 3:20 PM, jmcquown wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a
2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

Where did you buy that grinder?

A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
So I looked it up...
If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
won the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost
that auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very
similar.) It's a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't
unpack it until yesterday because I was still trying to find a place
to store it.

Jill

Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:

"We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"

Jill

I have a #12 grinder that looks almost identical to that one. The "2.6
HP" and "2000W" and "industrial" part are all BS, but the grinder works
great :-) The only concern I have about the one you bought is the
little tabs on the ends of the plates. I've never seen that before, and
I'm pretty sure it means the plates are a nonstandard size.

The plates pretty much last forever if they are any good, so it still
might not be a problem.

Bob
Old 24-07-2010, 10:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 23, 5:25*pm, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/23/2010 4:21 PM, Lynn from Fargo wrote:

On Jul 23, 2:42 pm, George *wrote:
On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote: *In ,
* * *wrote:
What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. *JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

What a wonderful lyric! *How come I never heard (of) that song?
Lynn in Fargo
Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"

I remember it from when I was a Boy Scout, that was our favorite
campfire song. Just fit in with a bunch of eleven year old boys.

Plenty of bawdy songs he
http://www.csufresno.edu/folklore/dr...ss-your-pa.htm

--Bryan
Old 24-07-2010, 11:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:

"We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"

Jill

My first grind with my new toy was a mix of turkey breast and pork
sausage. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Old 24-07-2010, 11:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. Even if I did, I
don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.

What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Jill

Pick up the sausage making tome by Rytek Kutas...
--
Peace! Om

Old 24-07-2010, 11:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
roast, preferably purchased on sale Some folks mention brisket, but
I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
suet to supplement the fat content.

Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
have the steak

Jill

A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground beef.

Bob

http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/SmokedSausage09202009#

Now all she needs is a smoker. :-)
Mine is a horizontal offset.
--
Peace! Om

Old 24-07-2010, 11:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

jmcquown wrote:
I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my
selecting meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down
and bought an electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA
and is a 2.6HP 2000W grinder (with all the attachments, including
those for stuffing sausage casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen
to make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the
Interbake3 pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare
room. LOL
Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using
chuck roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

Making meat loaf is the best learning experience... it's most
forgiving... burgers is the most difficult because it's only one
ingredient.

lol Nice one Shel'!
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 24-07-2010, 03:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

That's why I searched it out... just so happens that grinder is sold
at Amazon and the specs are listed the same, but it's gotta be a
misprint by a factor of ten; probably 200 w and .26 hp.

The only concern I have about the one you bought is the
little tabs on the ends of the plates. I've never seen that before, and
I'm pretty sure it means the plates are a nonstandard size.

The plates pretty much last forever if they are any good, so it still
might not be a problem.

Bob

Different grinder manufacturers employ different plate key
configurations; some use two tabs, some one tab, some a half hole that
keys on a dowel pin... there are literally thousands of different
grinder plates... when ordering new plates it's a good idea to supply
the old plate, they vary by outside diameter, thickness, shaft hole
diameter, hole pattern/size, and key configuration... also vary by
material, some are carbon steel, some are stainless steel.
Old 24-07-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:04:50 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

Even an American company with manufacturing in China is
preferable. This company's only presence is on alibaba.com, which
is notorious for shady materials.

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

-sw

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Bob
Old 24-07-2010, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

LOL You know, I've never understood the way some houses (and most
apartments I've lived in) are designed the way they are. The only place I
could put a smoker is on the back patio, which is hell and gone from the
kitchen. I *hate* carrying food from the through the living room to get to
the patio. (Oh, and the carpet is white, so no accidental food spills,
please!) It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can wheel my trusty Weber kettle from the garage onto the driveway and
back in again. But a smoker is a different animal and I'm not talking about
a huge barrel smoker, either. I think I can live without a smoker I can
"smoke" ribs on the Weber kettle. They aren't truly smoked, of course, but
they do get nice smoky taste from added (soaked) hickory chips.

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 04:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:37:48 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

On 7/23/2010 11:39 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Sky International may be the manufacturer of Waring for all we
know, but it won't be the same design. And i can't find any
mention of this grinder except on ebay. Hucksters buy these
things and mark them up 3-4x. You have no recourse if it doesn't
work.

She already has it; might as well see how it works.

Well, duh. She'll only use it three times anyway - so it may work
for her purposes.

I kinda wonder what else she's buying haphazardly off of ebay.
Money must be easy to come by.

-sw

FYI, this is the first item I've purchased on eBay (other than filters for
my cat's Drinkwell Fountain) in about 4 years.

Jill

Old 24-07-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure it will work as well as any similarly priced grinder.

I think one would be hard pressed to find any small appliances that
are made in the US anymore, not for many years now. My 6 year old
Waring Pro grinder is made in China. My 20 year old Moulinex grinder
is made in France. My nearly 50 year old Osterizer blender is made in
Milwaukee, WI USA. Americans don't make stuff anymore.