FoodBanter.com

-   -   Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/398942-okay-all-you-meat.html)

jmcquown[_2_] 23-07-2010 08:11 PM

Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

I still have to move things around in my storage area off the kitchen to
make room for it. I think I can relegate the fondue pot and the Interbake3
pizelle/sandwich/waffle iron to the closet in the spare room. LOL

Now I'm wondering what I should start off with. Ground beef using chuck
roast and/or brisket? Sausage?

The recipe for Chaurice sausage from The Gumbopages looks simple enough. I
love Chaurice sausage. It can be ground as patties or piped into casings.
(I'm sure I'd just start off with the patties.) The recipe looks pretty
simple:

Chaurice

* 4 pounds lean fresh pork, butt or shoulder
* 2 pounds fresh pork fat
* 2 cups onion, finely minced
* 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
* 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 8 teaspoons salt
* 2 teaspoons freshly ground red pepper
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
* 5 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
* 3 bay leaves, finely crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 3 yards small sausage casing (optional)

Cut the pork at fatback into small pieces. Mix together and run once through
the coarse disc of a meat grinder, into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and
mix thoroughly until the stuffing is very smooth and well-blended.

Make into patties, and use within three days or freeze. Also, you can stuff
the chaurice into casings; make each sausage about six inches in length.

YIELD: Approximately 18 servings.

I'd love to make Andouille but I don't have a smoker. Even if I did, I
don't think I could find hickory or pecan wood easily around here.

What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Jill

Melba's Jammin' 23-07-2010 08:33 PM

Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of

George Shirley[_2_] 23-07-2010 08:42 PM

Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

On 7/23/2010 2:33 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In ,
wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

brooklyn1 23-07-2010 09:02 PM

"jmcquown" wrote:

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP 2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

Where did you buy that grinder?

A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
So I looked it up...
If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1

Compare to Cabela's largest grinder: http://tinyurl.com/3a75epz
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Ophelia[_7_] 23-07-2010 09:10 PM

wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

lol you are so badddddddddddd but I luvya:)))))

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

jmcquown[_2_] 23-07-2010 09:19 PM

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:

I think the guys at the grocery store finally got fed up with my selecting
meat and asking them to grind it for me. So I broke down and bought an
electric meat grinder. It's mfg by Sky Enterprises USA and is a 2.6HP
2000W
grinder (with all the attachments, including those for stuffing sausage
casings).

Where did you buy that grinder?

A 2.6 horsepower grinder is more then what's at most butcher shops.
So I looked it up...
If the specs are true it's a remarkabel bargain:
http://tinyurl.com/2ehduas
http://www.amazon.com/2000W-Electric...9914053&sr=8-1

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.) It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 23-07-2010 09:20 PM

Oh, And.... Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:

[...]

Here's the email I got from the seller after I won the auction:

"We have shipped your eBay Auction US Item # 150465190112.
NEW 2.6 HP 2000W ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER INDUSRTRIAL"

Jill

Lynn from Fargo 23-07-2010 10:21 PM

* *wrote:
What say you? *Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. *JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

What a wonderful lyric! How come I never heard (of) that song?
Lynn in Fargo
Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"

jmcquown[_2_] 23-07-2010 10:29 PM

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about what
cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck roast,
preferably purchased on sale :) Some folks mention brisket, but I've never
seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the freezer space, sure,
but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef suet to supplement the fat
content.

Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just have
the steak ;)

Jill

zxcvbob 23-07-2010 10:44 PM

Okay All You Meat Grinding Folks... what to grind first?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Yep. Get the biggest, meanest, toughest brisket you can find. Cut it
into big strips or hunks that will just fit in the hopper. Give the
machine a workout and see how it does. (grind the meat twice; course
plate, mix, and then fine plate)

Bob

zxcvbob 23-07-2010 10:46 PM

"jmcquown" wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Thanks, Barb, I thought as much. There's lots of chatter here about
what cut of beef to use. I think starting off with a (fatty) chuck
roast, preferably purchased on sale :) Some folks mention brisket, but
I've never seen a plain brisket that wasn't *huge*. I'd have the
freezer space, sure, but I'm not sure how easily I can find find beef
suet to supplement the fat content.

Oh, and I know I'm not going to grind ribeye steaks. I'd rather just
have the steak ;)

Jill

A "packer cut" brisket has plenty of fat, you don't need to add any
suet. I sometimes trim a little of the fat off to make lean ground beef.

Bob

Steve Pope 23-07-2010 10:49 PM

jmcquown wrote:

There's lots of chatter here about what
cut of beef to use.

Look for some grass fed beef.

Steve

George Shirley[_2_] 23-07-2010 11:25 PM

wrote:
What say you? Ground beef, sausage... what to start with?

Ground beef for the practice. JMO.

Naw, here's the place to go:

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songb...ngs5/S5_73.htm

What a wonderful lyric! How come I never heard (of) that song?
Lynn in Fargo
Knows most of the verses to "Abdul a Bul Bul a Meer"

I remember it from when I was a Boy Scout, that was our favorite
campfire song. Just fit in with a bunch of eleven year old boys.

jmcquown[_2_] 23-07-2010 11:58 PM

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

-sw

jmcquown[_2_] 24-07-2010 12:04 AM

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:19:13 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

I won it on an eBay auction (brand new) for $84 plus free shipping. I
won
the auction on the 11th and it arrived last Saturday.
It may not be 2.6HP - the first one I bid on did say that but I lost that
auction and looked for another one. (The pictures were very similar.)
It's
a Sky 800 electric grinder. The thing is, I didn't unpack it until
yesterday because I was still trying to find a place to store it.

No-name brand out of Guangdong, China.

-sw

I'd much prefer to buy something made in the US. Show me some "comps".
Examples in the $80 - $120 range that you can prove were made in the US. If
so, I'll happily return this grinder and buy one of those.

Jill