Old 18-05-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Course Grind meat for chili...

The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Old 18-05-2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Around here, chili grind is meat that's been run through the grinder
just once, using the plate with the largest openings, maybe 1/4 inch.
Thing is, the meat cooks down and looks like regular hamburger grind
by the time the chili is done.

I make my chili the old-fashioned way, by dicing the meat in cubes of
1/2 inch, or so.

David

Old 18-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

david the elder wrote:
On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before
I get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind
it, I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Around here, chili grind is meat that's been run through the grinder
just once, using the plate with the largest openings, maybe 1/4 inch.
Thing is, the meat cooks down and looks like regular hamburger grind
by the time the chili is done.

I make my chili the old-fashioned way, by dicing the meat in cubes of
1/2 inch, or so.

David

I recommend diced beef or pork, too, unless I'm just throwing together a
quick and dirty pot of chili and ground beef is all I have on hand. Then I
don't care what the grind is.

Jill

Old 18-05-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. *Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. *Can someone describe it?

That would be "coarse" grind, as for typical fresh Italian sausage...
usually through a grinding plate with at minimum 1/2" holes. You will
probably need to grind the meat yourself as most butcher shops are not
going to custom grind except for very large quantities, and coarse
grind chuck is really not very typical, usually when butcher shops
that do coarse grind it will be pork.

Here is some information about the various grinding plates:
http://tinyurl.com/2fwfl7
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/i...d6195c26b1bc8c

Sheldon

Old 18-05-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking