Old 18-05-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Course Grind meat for chili...

The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Old 18-05-2007, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Around here, chili grind is meat that's been run through the grinder
just once, using the plate with the largest openings, maybe 1/4 inch.
Thing is, the meat cooks down and looks like regular hamburger grind
by the time the chili is done.

I make my chili the old-fashioned way, by dicing the meat in cubes of
1/2 inch, or so.

David

Old 18-05-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

david the elder wrote:
On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before
I get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind
it, I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Around here, chili grind is meat that's been run through the grinder
just once, using the plate with the largest openings, maybe 1/4 inch.
Thing is, the meat cooks down and looks like regular hamburger grind
by the time the chili is done.

I make my chili the old-fashioned way, by dicing the meat in cubes of
1/2 inch, or so.

David

I recommend diced beef or pork, too, unless I'm just throwing together a
quick and dirty pot of chili and ground beef is all I have on hand. Then I
don't care what the grind is.

Jill

Old 18-05-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. *Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. *Can someone describe it?

That would be "coarse" grind, as for typical fresh Italian sausage...
usually through a grinding plate with at minimum 1/2" holes. You will
probably need to grind the meat yourself as most butcher shops are not
going to custom grind except for very large quantities, and coarse
grind chuck is really not very typical, usually when butcher shops
that do coarse grind it will be pork.

Here is some information about the various grinding plates:
http://tinyurl.com/2fwfl7
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/i...d6195c26b1bc8c

Sheldon

Old 18-05-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

It makes the folks on alt.punk look like English professors, and
several of them are from non-English speaking countries.

--Bryan

Old 18-05-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2007 09:24:07 -0700, Food Snob wrote:

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

It makes the folks on alt.punk look like English professors, and
several of them are from non-English speaking countries.

I find it mildly amusing that you know about alt.punk? Interesting.
LOL

--
Zilbandy
Old 18-05-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote:
Dannyl wrote:

The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. *Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. *Can someone describe it?

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

Only one word is spelled incorrectly ("receipe") which is quite common
amongst even the very literate, and with very little stretch could be
construed as the very common "ei after c" typo... the others ("course/
stair") are spelled correctly but are the incorrect form, which is
indicative that English is not the poster's primary language,
especially since the sentences are better constructed and much more
intelligible than what the majority offer up. I think you're
unnecessarily knit picking.

Old 18-05-2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 May 2007 10:13:58 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

I think you're unnecessarily knit picking.

Actually, I believe the term you meant to use is "nitpicking", but who
am I to be such a nitpicker. ::ducking::

--
Zilbandy
Old 18-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 12:49 pm, Zilbandy wrote:
On 18 May 2007 10:13:58 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

I think you're unnecessarily knit picking.

Actually, I believe the term you meant to use is "nitpicking", but who
am I to be such a nitpicker. ::ducking::

--
Zilbandy

I "think" he did that on porpoise. ;-)

David

Old 18-05-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

david the elder wrote:
Zilbandy wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

I think you're unnecessarily knit picking.

Actually, I believe the term you meant to use is "nitpicking", but who
am I to be such a nitpicker. ::ducking:: *

I "think" he did that on porpoise. ;-)

I type like a squid out of water, all testicles.

Sheldon

Old 18-05-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
Food Snob wrote:

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

Splinter skill notwithstanding, I wonder if spelling skills might be
better overall if public school teachers spent more time on core
academics and less time trying to inflict their personal religious
beliefs on students.

Chili grind in my region is about a 1/4-3/8" diameter grind.
Old 18-05-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Emma Thackery" wrote in message
In article .com,
Food Snob wrote:

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

Splinter skill notwithstanding, I wonder if spelling skills might be
better overall if public school teachers spent more time on core
academics and less time trying to inflict their personal religious
beliefs on students.

Religious beliefs don't enter it here, it's teaching to test. Screw skills
and core academics, they are teaching kids to take the stupid state tests
which doesn't necessarily tell you anything about a student's skills.

Cindi

Chili grind in my region is about a 1/4-3/8" diameter grind.

Old 18-05-2007, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Food Snob wrote in news:1179505445.387371.107830
@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

On May 18, 8:57 am, Dannyl wrote:
The reciepe I have for chili calls for a course grind chuck. Before I
get a blank stair from my butcher when I ask him to course grind it,
I'd like to know what it looks like. Can someone describe it?

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

It makes the folks on alt.punk look like English professors, and
several of them are from non-English speaking countries.

--Bryan

Here's an excerpt from:

http://www.use-net.ch/netiquette_engl.html#spelling

Every few months a plague descends on Usenet called the spelling flame.
It starts out when someone posts an article correcting the spelling or
grammar in some article. The immediate result seems to be for everyone on
the net to turn into a 6th grade English teacher and pick apart each
other's postings for a few weeks. This is not productive and tends to
cause people who used to be friends to get angry with each other.
It is important to remember that we all make mistakes, and that there are
many users on the net who use English as a second language. There are
also a number of people who suffer from dyslexia and who have difficulty
noticing their spelling mistakes. If you feel that you must make a
comment on the quality of a posting, please do so by mail, not on the
network.

Alternatively, if you want to discuss spelling, try he
alt.language.english.spelling.reform

Old 18-05-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 2:53 pm, Morvin Stayner wrote:

Every few months a plague descends on Usenet called the spelling flame.
It starts out when someone posts an article correcting the spelling or
grammar in some article.

Point well taken, and I, for one, promise to take it to heart.

David

Old 18-05-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 11:33 am, Zilbandy wrote:
On 18 May 2007 09:24:07 -0700, Food Snob wrote:

Why is it that so many people who post here can't spell?

It makes the folks on alt.punk look like English professors, and
several of them are from non-English speaking countries.

I find it mildly amusing that you know about alt.punk? Interesting.
LOL

Know? I am the #1 all time poster on alt.punk.
The Bonobos are punker than punk.
http://www.myspace.com/TheBonobos

--
Zilbandy