Old 18-01-2012, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.

Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
weekend.

Orange Lemon Cake
http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon
6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
4 extra large eggs
tsp. sea salt
1 cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

powdered sugar for decoration

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Old 18-01-2012, 10:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

Orange Lemon Cake
http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:
1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon
6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
4 extra large eggs
tsp. sea salt
1 cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

powdered sugar for decoration

WTF is the point in stipulating organic for the citrus but not for all
the other ingredients??? And I bet sf doesn't douche with organic sea
salt. LOL-LOL
Old 18-01-2012, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf wrote:
Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
....PickyQuestions
Old 18-01-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.

Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
weekend.

Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!

Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
(26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)

Orange Lemon Cake
http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon
6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
4 extra large eggs
tsp. sea salt
1 cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

powdered sugar for decoration

(I'll finish it off for you..............)

Preparation:

Wash the lemon and orange well, put them in a pan and cover with water.
Dont worry if the fruit will float its perfectly normal.
Cook them over medium-high heat until the water starts boiling, then
reduce the heat and let the citrus simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and let
them cool.

In the meantime preheat the oven to 325F. Spread the almonds on a
baking sheet, and bake until they look golden brown and smell toasty,
about 10 to 15 minutes (15? in my oven). They really have to be toasted
otherwise the cake wont taste right. Set them aside to cool.
When the almonds are completely cool, grind them in a food processor
using the pulse function until they reach a sandy consistency. Set
aside.

Heat up the oven to 350F, and grease with the olive oil a 9-inch round
springform pan.

When the citrus is cool, cut the orange in half and discard the seeds
then cut the lemon in 2 parts, scoop out and discard its pulp and seeds.
Cut the orange (peel and pulp) and the lemon rind in big chunks, put
them in the food processor and grind them until you almost reach a
coarse paste consistency.

Beat the eggs with salt until foamy and light in color then gradually
add the sugar. Whisk in the flour mixture.

Add the citrus paste, almonds, and olive oil, and beat at low speed
until well combined but dont overwork the batter.
Pour the cake batter into the springform pan, and bake for 50? to 1 hour
depending on the oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes
out clean.

Cool the cake in its pan and then remove the rind. Sprinkle the cake
with powdered sugar before serving.

Notes:
Let sit the cake for few hours before serving. It tastes even better the
next day. To keep it soft wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it at room
temperature.

Peter
Tasmania
Australia
Old 18-01-2012, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
...PickyQuestions

Yes....your lemons and oranges qualify as organic.
You're still going to die someday though.

Gary

Old 19-01-2012, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:42:23 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf wrote:
Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
...PickyQuestions

As far as I know, yes.

Old 19-01-2012, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:46:48 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
wrote:

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight. The
recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but I
roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I also
added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter.... because
I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.

Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs is
a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or tea.
It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff game this
weekend.

Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!

Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
(26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)

Happy Australia Day and enjoy! I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
time, IMO one wasn't enough. Also, I browned the nuts in 5 minute
increments. 5 minutes and stir. 10 minutes was enough.

`````````````````````````````````

Old 19-01-2012, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in
:

wrote:

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight.
The recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but
I roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I
also added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter....
because I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.

Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs
is a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or
tea. It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff
game this weekend.

Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!

Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
(26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)

Happy Australia Day and enjoy!

Thanks, will do. I'm holding a BBQ for about 20 people, and we're going
to have a cricket match as well ..... along with plenty of cold
refreshing beverages :-)

I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
time, IMO one wasn't enough.

OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
smell is like.

Also, I browned the nuts in 5 minute
increments. 5 minutes and stir. 10 minutes was enough.

????? I thought you used almond meal? Or was that just this time?

As for browning them in the oven, I'd probably brown them off in a
frypan. I roast all my nuts (ie, pine, almond, hazelnuts etc) on the
stove in a frypan..... a lot easier to see the stage they are at and be
able to whip them off when they are done just right.

`````````````````````````````````

Old 19-01-2012, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 5:42*pm, JeanineAlyse wrote:
On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf wrote: Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. *So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
...PickyQuestions

'organic' with a lower case 'o'!

;-)

John Kuthe...
Old 19-01-2012, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 2:08*pm, sf wrote:
Orange Lemon Cakehttp://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/14/orange-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:

1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon

I have a lemon and an orange tree, I have no need to, and do not use
pesticides anywhere. So, are my lemons and oranges organic?
...PickyQuestions

Uh - NO! You haven't registered with the government as an organinc
grower and you don't have the proper paperwork documenting the "organic"
methods and procedures used to grow your lemons and oranges.

She's not selling them, she's just eating them.

Old 19-01-2012, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:55:53 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
wrote:

I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
time, IMO one wasn't enough.

OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
smell is like.

Had it for dessert tonight and my son (who cooks as well as eats) says
1T is fine in his opinion. So I guess the word would be to use 1T as
a starting point and adjust it the next time if you want more rosemary
flavor. I think he liked that amount because he couldn't pick it out
as a defined flavor and was naming spices as what he thought he
tasted.

Old 19-01-2012, 05:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz frothed at the mouth:

Orange Lemon Cake
http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//

Ingredients:
1 medium organic orange
1 organic lemon

WTF is the point in stipulating organic for the citrus but not for all
the other ingredients???

Because all the other ingredients are not commonly sprayed with pesticide.
*You* should feel free to make the cake using Carbaryl-coated fruit; it
could improve your Usenet posts dramatically.

Bob

Old 19-01-2012, 05:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
time, IMO one wasn't enough.

OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
smell is like.

Had it for dessert tonight and my son (who cooks as well as eats) says
1T is fine in his opinion. So I guess the word would be to use 1T as
a starting point and adjust it the next time if you want more rosemary
flavor. I think he liked that amount because he couldn't pick it out
as a defined flavor and was naming spices as what he thought he
tasted.

Yeah, I think I'd rather go for the subtle approach first :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Old 24-01-2012, 02:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
[...]

Mmmm. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lemon today. (I usually have
more than one here.) Otherwise... Maybe tomorrow, IF there are
organic ones. You never know.

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

--
Jean B.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.