Old 24-01-2012, 03:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

sf wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

Suprise, suprise, I was cleaning out and organising the pantry (as one does
when it is ****ing down with rain and one is bored!!) and found a 175g bag
of "Raw Cane Sugar" that a friend bought up in the touristy area of Nth Qld
and decided to give to us.

Looks exactly like any other raw sugar you'd buy in a supermarket, just
done up in a little 'touristy' pillow bag and probably cost a small
fortune!!

So I'll use that in the OLOO Cake.

--
Peter
Tasmania

Old 24-01-2012, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

--
Jean B.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back on the laptop wrote:
[...]

Here, it has become fairly common, so the price isn't astronomical.

--
Jean B.
Old 24-01-2012, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote in
:

I'm back on the laptop wrote:
[...]

Yeah, samesame here, cheap as chips in the supermarket.... but my friend
was silly enough to get sucked into the tourist trap and buy it at
tourist prices :-)

--
Peter
Tasmania
Old 24-01-2012, 07:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:40:21 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

sf wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:49:09 -0500, "Jean B." wrote:

BTW, I have pretty much switched to that raw sugar for baking. I
like the subtle flavor that it imparts.

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.

I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

Okay, I'll take that under advisement. I'm new at baking with
raw/turbinado sugar.

Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

The thread about "bean" brownies is what got me looking. I came
across "flourless brownies" which reminded me of Chocolate Decadence
(aka: flourless chocolate cake) and there are lots of recipes out
there, so if this one doesn't appeal - you can find more.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ate-Cake-14478
Gourmet | November 1997

Makes one 8-inch cake

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

ingredients

4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line
bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.

Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set
over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter,
stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat
and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift
1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just
combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes,
or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5
minutes and invert onto a serving plate.

Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet if
desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight
container, 1 week.)

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Old 24-01-2012, 07:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:30:18 -0800, sf wrote:

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Oops, sorry - wrong recipe

Flourless Chocolate Brownies
http://www.meals.com/Recipes/Flourle...ecipeid=143650

Makes: 16 brownies

Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 35 mins
Cooling Time: 4 hrs 30 mins refrigerating

Ingredients

2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels,
divided
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, finely ground (optional)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

PREHEAT oven to 300º F. Line 9-inch-square baking pan with foil.
Grease bottom and sides.

HEAT 1 1/2 cups morsels, butter and water in medium, heavy-duty
saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until morsels and butter
are melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Remove
from heat.

BEAT eggs and sugar in medium mixer bowl until thick, about 4 minutes.
Stir in vanilla extract. Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into chocolate
mixture. Fold in remaining egg mixture, one half at a time, until
thoroughly incorporated. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until risen in center and edges start to
get firm and shiny (center may still move and appear underbaked). Cool
completely in pan on wire rack (center may sink slightly). Cover;
refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

PLACE cream in small, uncovered, microwave-safe dish. Microwave on
HIGH (100%) power for 25 to 30 seconds. Add remaining 1/2 cup morsels.
Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes; stir until chocolate is melted.

SPREAD ganache over chilled brownie. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using
two opposite sides of foil, carefully lift the entire brownie out of
the pan and place on cutting board. Carefully peel away foil from
brownie. Cut into bars. Store in tightly covered container in
refrigerator.

Old 24-01-2012, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even
know why I had it on hand, but I did. I
*really* like that cake! Flourless
brownies are next on the agenda.
Maybe I should use raw sugar for that
too.

I've never made flourless brownies before, but I'll be curious to see
how they turn out, if you do make them? Have you ever made flourless
peanut butter cookies? They are REALLY good...my hubby loves them over
any others.

I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
strange flavor to put in a cake?! I also have never heard of using
olive oil in a cake. I buy it to fry with, and sometimes for a salad
dressing. Nor have I ever heard of aluminum-free baking powder??? I'm 71
years old and have been baking since the age of 9, but this recipe
contains a lot of "firsts" for me...unusual recipe indeed, and I must
say it's hard for me to imagine that it would be that good, though I do
love anything citrus.

I've also never used raw sugar..ever, but my grandfather swore by it,
and called refined sugar "rat food", as he did bleached flour, but I've
never used the unbleached four for anything.

Yesterday I made some Lemon Cake Squares and they are divine! Is an old
recipe, and hadn't made them in ages, but hubby and I about ate the
whole pan while they were still warm! )

Judy

Old 24-01-2012, 11:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

Now you're getting into familiar territory, although the cake I
started making in the very early 70s contained 2-3 Tbsps of flour.
Gee, I coulda made that yesterday. I should make one. For one
thing, it freezes really well, and can be sliced in the frozen state.

--
Jean B.
Old 24-01-2012, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
[...]

I was wondering whether that was in intentional segue. :-)

Oh dear, this looks like something I will need to try. Maybe with
hazelnut flour.

Thanks!

--
Jean B.
Old 25-01-2012, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:46:20 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

sf wrote:

I'd never baked with it before. Don't even
know why I had it on hand, but I did. I
*really* like that cake! Flourless
brownies are next on the agenda.
Maybe I should use raw sugar for that
too.

I've never made flourless brownies before, but I'll be curious to see
how they turn out, if you do make them?

I certainly will report, but I expect the recipe I plan on using to
mimic flourless cake.

Have you ever made flourless
peanut butter cookies? They are REALLY good...my hubby loves them over
any others.

Oh, yes! Once I found out about that recipe, I actually started
looking forward to buying peanut butter I don't like in a sandwich
because they're the perfect way to use that stuff up.

I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
strange flavor to put in a cake?!

Not really, I think it's pretty common in Italy. You'd never know you
were eating pine needles if you chop up fresh rosemary for the cake
and you'll never know how good it is until you try it. You won't even
know it's rosemary. My son was guessing what the flavor was he tasted
and rosemary and wasn't part of the equation. He was pleasantly
surprised when he found out and said he wouldn't have guessed. That's
why I'll stay with 1T after all.

AFAIC rosemary goes very well with EVOO and lemon/orange... just like
the three go together so well with meat. If you opened the link I
provided, you'd see that the original cake doesn't call for any
rosemary - but I've made a couple of rosemary and lemon pound cakes in
the past and liked them, so I added it to this one. I wasn't sorry I
did it either.

I also have never heard of using olive oil in a cake.

That's Italian too. I'm not Italian, but I like the flavor profile.
In fact, I made biscuits with EVOO instead of butter/shortening last
week and they turned out very well considering I'm not a biscuit
maker.

Oil Biscuits
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...n--n--Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil (I used EVOO)

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add
milk and oil. Stir until the dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured
surface, knead 8-10 times or until smooth.

2. Roll or pat dough into a 6-in. square about 1 in. thick. Cut into
six rectangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450°
for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

I buy it to fry with, and sometimes for a salad
dressing. Nor have I ever heard of aluminum-free baking powder??? I'm 71
years old and have been baking since the age of 9, but this recipe
contains a lot of "firsts" for me...unusual recipe indeed, and I must
say it's hard for me to imagine that it would be that good, though I do
love anything citrus.

Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder. In any case, I
only had double acting so I used that. Here's what David Lebowitz has
to say about it (plus a recipe for baking powder which I think I'll
start using since I have all the ingredients and two containers of
cream of tartar to use up)
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/10...aluminum-free/

I've also never used raw sugar..ever, but my grandfather swore by it,
and called refined sugar "rat food",

I'd never baked with raw sugar before that cake and I like it. IMO,
the larger granules make the finished product not as sweet as it would
be using granulated sugar.

as he did bleached flour, but I've never used the unbleached four for anything.

Flour bleaches naturally over time and I use unbleached flour as much
as possible because there are more nutrients left in it.

Yesterday I made some Lemon Cake Squares and they are divine! Is an old
recipe, and hadn't made them in ages, but hubby and I about ate the
whole pan while they were still warm! )

No recipe? I'm disappointed.

Old 25-01-2012, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2012 7:48 PM, sf wrote:

Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder.

There are now double-acting aluminium-free baking powders.

I've been using it for a while, and find that it performs just as well
as the other sort. The one I use is made by Argo, the cornstarch people.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

Not really, I think it's pretty common in
Italy. You'd never know you were eating
pine needles if you chop up fresh
rosemary for the cake and you'll never
know how good it is until you try it. You
won't even know it's rosemary. My son
was guessing what the flavor was he
tasted and rosemary and wasn't part of
the equation. He was pleasantly
surprised when he found out and said
he wouldn't have guessed. That's why
I'll stay with 1T after all.

I guess I'm not that familiar with Italian recipes, especially desserts,
so hadn't heard of using rosemary in desserts, but you might have come
up with a "winner" there, using it in cake.

AFAIC rosemary goes very well with
EVOO and lemon/orange... just like the
three go together so well with meat. If
you opened the link I provided, you'd
see that the original cake doesn't call for
any rosemary - but I've made a couple
of rosemary and lemon pound cakes in
the past and liked them, so I added it to
this one. I wasn't sorry I did it either.

Also have never used EVOO. We always buy canola oil, peanut oil and
olive oil. Today I'm trying a new chicken breast recipe that calls for
them to be fried in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and it also has white wine,
juice and peel of 1 lemon, garlic, capers and parsley in it, so hope
it's good!

Thanks for the recipe for Oil Biscuits, as they sound good. I'll look up
the Lemon Cake Squares recipe and post it next.

Judy

Old 25-01-2012, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon-Cake Sqs. (Was Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary)

Lemon-Cake Squares

6 tbsp. butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 egg
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
grated rind of 1 lemon
1/2 cup milk

Beat eggs in large bowl for electric mixer, beat in butter and sugar.
Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly. Add milk and lemon
rind; beat until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter into greased 13 x 9"
baking pan. Bake at 350º for 22 to 25 minutes (my oven bakes a little
hot, so I bake it for the lesser time). In the meantime, stir together
in small bowl, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and juice of 1 lemon. Remove
cake from oven and carefully spoon mixture over top of cake; return to
oven and continue baking for 5 minutes. Cut into small squares while
still warm.

Judy

Old 25-01-2012, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 24, 7:25*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:

AFAIC rosemary goes very well with
EVOO and lemon/orange.

Also have never used EVOO. We always buy canola oil, peanut oil and
olive oil.

Judy

EVOO means Extra Virgin Olive Oil.