Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:46:20 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >I'd never baked with it before. Don't even
> > know why I had it on hand, but I did. I
> > *really* like that cake! Flourless
> > brownies are next on the agenda.
> > Maybe I should use raw sugar for that
> > too.

> I've never made flourless brownies before, but I'll be curious to see
> how they turn out, if you do make them?

I certainly will report, but I expect the recipe I plan on using to
mimic flourless cake.

> Have you ever made flourless
> peanut butter cookies? They are REALLY good...my hubby loves them over
> any others.

Oh, yes! Once I found out about that recipe, I actually started
looking forward to buying peanut butter I don't like in a sandwich
because they're the perfect way to use that stuff up.

> I must say the cake you made sounds very "different" and one I would
> never have been interested in making, just seeing the recipe. First off
> rosemary in a dessert of any kind, sounds very strange to me. I like
> rosemary, when it's crushed up and added to a meat dish of some kind, or
> perhaps bread, or rolls to be eaten with a meal, but not cake, cookies,
> pie, etc. I call that seasoning "pine needles" (LOL) seems like a
> strange flavor to put in a cake?!

Not really, I think it's pretty common in Italy. You'd never know you
were eating pine needles if you chop up fresh rosemary for the cake
and you'll never know how good it is until you try it. You won't even
know it's rosemary. My son was guessing what the flavor was he tasted
and rosemary and wasn't part of the equation. He was pleasantly
surprised when he found out and said he wouldn't have guessed. That's
why I'll stay with 1T after all.

AFAIC rosemary goes very well with EVOO and lemon/orange... just like
the three go together so well with meat. If you opened the link I
provided, you'd see that the original cake doesn't call for any
rosemary - but I've made a couple of rosemary and lemon pound cakes in
the past and liked them, so I added it to this one. I wasn't sorry I
did it either.

> I also have never heard of using olive oil in a cake.

That's Italian too. I'm not Italian, but I like the flavor profile.
In fact, I made biscuits with EVOO instead of butter/shortening last
week and they turned out very well considering I'm not a biscuit
maker.

Oil Biscuits
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/C...n--n--Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil (I used EVOO)

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add
milk and oil. Stir until the dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured
surface, knead 8-10 times or until smooth.

2. Roll or pat dough into a 6-in. square about 1 in. thick. Cut into
six rectangles. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450°
for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

> I buy it to fry with, and sometimes for a salad
> dressing. Nor have I ever heard of aluminum-free baking powder??? I'm 71
> years old and have been baking since the age of 9, but this recipe
> contains a lot of "firsts" for me...unusual recipe indeed, and I must
> say it's hard for me to imagine that it would be that good, though I do
> love anything citrus.

Aluminum free is aka "single acting" baking powder. In any case, I
only had double acting so I used that. Here's what David Lebowitz has
to say about it (plus a recipe for baking powder which I think I'll
start using since I have all the ingredients and two containers of
cream of tartar to use up)
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/10...aluminum-free/

> I've also never used raw sugar..ever, but my grandfather swore by it,
> and called refined sugar "rat food",

I'd never baked with raw sugar before that cake and I like it. IMO,
the larger granules make the finished product not as sweet as it would
be using granulated sugar.

> as he did bleached flour, but I've never used the unbleached four for anything.

Flour bleaches naturally over time and I use unbleached flour as much
as possible because there are more nutrients left in it.

> Yesterday I made some Lemon Cake Squares and they are divine! Is an old
> recipe, and hadn't made them in ages, but hubby and I about ate the
> whole pan while they were still warm! >)

No recipe? I'm disappointed.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/