Posted to rec.food.cooking
I'm back on the laptop I'm back on the laptop is offline

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 23:46:48 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf > wrote in news:nkaeh7l5iefbue0fsgpu9tthi02ntte3hr@
>> 4ax.com:
>>

>> > I baked a cake yesterday and let the flavors develop overnight.
>> > The recipe called for boiling a whole orange and a whole lemon, but
>> > I roasted them in foil because I wanted a deeper citrus flavor. I
>> > also added a tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary to the batter....
>> > because I like rosemary with lemon and orange olive oil cakes.
>> >
>> > Oh, man - this is my type of cake: dense and intense. All it needs
>> > is a dollop of whipped cream on the side... and a cup of coffee or
>> > tea. It's going into the freezer and coming out for the playoff
>> > game this weekend.

>> Even though I probably can't eat it, that sounds *great*!!
>>
>> Might have to make it for the SO and others to enjoy on Australia Day
>> (26th)..... and serve with plenty of whipped cream :-)
>>

> Happy Australia Day and enjoy!

Thanks, will do. I'm holding a BBQ for about 20 people, and we're going
to have a cricket match as well ..... along with plenty of cold
refreshing beverages :-)

> I'm using 2T of chopped rosemary next
> time, IMO one wasn't enough.

OK, will give it a try, might mix in 1 to start with and see what the
smell is like.

> Also, I browned the nuts in 5 minute
> increments. 5 minutes and stir. 10 minutes was enough.

????? I thought you used almond meal? Or was that just this time?

As for browning them in the oven, I'd probably brown them off in a
frypan. I roast all my nuts (ie, pine, almond, hazelnuts etc) on the
stove in a frypan..... a lot easier to see the stage they are at and be
able to whip them off when they are done just right.

> `````````````````````````````````
>> >
>> > Orange Lemon Cake
>> > http://www.notonlypizza.com/2010/06/...e-lemon-cake//
>> >
>> > Ingredients:
>> >
>> > 1 medium organic orange
>> > 1 organic lemon
>> > 6 oz. raw peeled almonds (sf used almond meal from Trader Joe's)
>> > 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
>> > 1 Tbs. aluminum free baking powder (sf used what was on hand)
>> > 4 extra large eggs
>> > ½ tsp. sea salt
>> > 1 ½ cups raw cane sugar, granulated white sugar is also fine
>> > 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
>> >
>> > powdered sugar for decoration
>> >

>> (I'll finish it off for you..............)
>>
>> Preparation:
>>
>> Wash the lemon and orange well, put them in a pan and cover with
>> water. Don’t worry if the fruit will float it’s perfectly normal.
>> Cook them over medium-high heat until the water starts boiling, then
>> reduce the heat and let the citrus simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and
>> let them cool.
>>
>> In the meantime preheat the oven to 325°F. Spread the almonds on a
>> baking sheet, and bake until they look golden brown and smell toasty,
>> about 10 to 15 minutes (15? in my oven). They really have to be
>> toasted otherwise the cake won’t taste right. Set them aside to cool.
>> When the almonds are completely cool, grind them in a food processor
>> using the pulse function until they reach a sandy consistency. Set
>> aside.
>>
>> Heat up the oven to 350°F, and grease with the olive oil a 9-inch
>> round springform pan.
>>
>> When the citrus is cool, cut the orange in half and discard the seeds
>> then cut the lemon in 2 parts, scoop out and discard its pulp and
>> seeds. Cut the orange (peel and pulp) and the lemon rind in big
>> chunks, put them in the food processor and grind them until you
>> almost reach a coarse paste consistency.
>>
>> Beat the eggs with salt until foamy and light in color then gradually
>> add the sugar. Whisk in the flour mixture.
>>
>> Add the citrus paste, almonds, and olive oil, and beat at low speed
>> until well combined but don’t overwork the batter.
>> Pour the cake batter into the springform pan, and bake for 50? to 1
>> hour depending on the oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the
>> center comes out clean.
>>
>> Cool the cake in its pan and then remove the rind. Sprinkle the cake
>> with powdered sugar before serving.
>>
>> Notes:
>> Let sit the cake for few hours before serving. It tastes even better
>> the next day. To keep it soft wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it
>> at room temperature.

Peter
Tasmania
Australia