Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary (recipe)

This is very easy to put together.

`````````````````````````

Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

Ingredients:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 large navel oranges, zested
3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 (generous) tsp, finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/8 tsp salt
Butter or non stick cooking spray to grease the pan

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 4 loaf pan with butter
or cooking spray.

Measure sugar into a bowl. Zest the oranges and add the zest directly
to the sugar in the bowl. Try to touch the zest as little as possible
and mix it into the sugar with a whisk or a fork. The idea is to keep
the orange oils for the sugar and not all over your hands. The sugar
will turn an orangey color, <http://oi56.tinypic.com/2mqkwv5.jpg>
which will be the color of the finished cake.

Juice the oranges, for about 3/4 cups of juice. Set aside.

Sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the
chopped rosemary and set aside.

Add the oil to the sugar and mix until blended. Beat in each egg, one
by one, until thick foamy and almost doubled. Add about 1/3 cup flour
and mix it in well, alternate with about 1/4 cup of juice. Repeat
until the flour and the juice are used up. Scrape batter off the
sides of the bowl and gently pour it into the prepared loaf pan. Bake
in preheated oven, for 50 minutes to 1 hour (mine took an hour), or
until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
<http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message

> This is very easy to put together.
>
> Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 eggs
> 3 large navel oranges, zested
> 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1 (generous) tsp, finely chopped fresh rosemary
> 1/8 tsp salt
> Butter or non stick cooking spray to grease the pan
>
> Method:
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 4 loaf pan with butter
> or cooking spray.
>
> Measure sugar into a bowl. Zest the oranges and add the zest
> directly
> to the sugar in the bowl. Try to touch the zest as little as
> possible
> and mix it into the sugar with a whisk or a fork. The idea is to
> keep
> the orange oils for the sugar and not all over your hands. The sugar
> will turn an orangey color, <http://oi56.tinypic.com/2mqkwv5.jpg>
> which will be the color of the finished cake.
>
> Juice the oranges, for about 3/4 cups of juice. Set aside.
>
> Sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in
> the
> chopped rosemary and set aside.
>
> Add the oil to the sugar and mix until blended. Beat in each egg,
> one
> by one, until thick foamy and almost doubled. Add about 1/3 cup
> flour
> and mix it in well, alternate with about 1/4 cup of juice. Repeat
> until the flour and the juice are used up. Scrape batter off the
> sides of the bowl and gently pour it into the prepared loaf pan.
> Bake
> in preheated oven, for 50 minutes to 1 hour (mine took an hour), or
> until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
> <http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

Hoo boy, does THAT look good! Note to self: Add navel oranges and
rosemary to tomorrow's shopping list.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:47:56 -0400, "Felice" >
wrote:

> > <http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

> Hoo boy, does THAT look good! Note to self: Add navel oranges and
> rosemary to tomorrow's shopping list.

Thanks, Felice! I don't think it's too important to have navels. If
you pick a smaller orange, get one or two more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:47:56 -0400, "Felice" >
> wrote:
>
>> > <http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

>> Hoo boy, does THAT look good! Note to self: Add navel oranges and
>> rosemary to tomorrow's shopping list.

> Thanks, Felice! I don't think it's too important to have navels.
> If
> you pick a smaller orange, get one or two more.

A navel may not be important to the orange, but it's important to me.
Well, it was.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 eggs
> 3 large navel oranges, zested
> 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1 (generous) tsp, finely chopped fresh rosemary
> 1/8 tsp salt
> Butter or non stick cooking spray to grease the pan
>
> Method:
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 4 loaf pan with butter
> or cooking spray.
>
> Measure sugar into a bowl. Zest the oranges and add the zest directly
> to the sugar in the bowl. Try to touch the zest as little as possible
> and mix it into the sugar with a whisk or a fork. The idea is to keep
> the orange oils for the sugar and not all over your hands. The sugar
> will turn an orangey color, <http://oi56.tinypic.com/2mqkwv5.jpg>
> which will be the color of the finished cake.
>
> Juice the oranges, for about 3/4 cups of juice. Set aside.
>
> Sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the
> chopped rosemary and set aside.
>
> Add the oil to the sugar and mix until blended. Beat in each egg, one
> by one, until thick foamy and almost doubled. Add about 1/3 cup flour
> and mix it in well, alternate with about 1/4 cup of juice. Repeat
> until the flour and the juice are used up. Scrape batter off the
> sides of the bowl and gently pour it into the prepared loaf pan. Bake
> in preheated oven, for 50 minutes to 1 hour (mine took an hour), or
> until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
> <http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

I think I'd use honey in place of some of the sugar. For Easter I made a
chestnut cheesecake with rosemary-infused honey and oranges which was very
good.

As you wrote elsewhere in the thread, it's probably not that important to
use navel oranges. Given the choice, I'd probably use Valencia oranges,
though it might be necessary to use four of them to make an equivalent
amount of zest and juice as the three navel oranges called for in the
recipe.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:03:37 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> I think I'd use honey in place of some of the sugar. For Easter I made a
> chestnut cheesecake with rosemary-infused honey and oranges which was very
> good.

Hmm. Well, you're changing my mind... I was going to substitute half
the oil for applesauce next time, just to see if/how the flavor
changes but I like it the way it is. You can taste a hint of olive
oil flavor if you know what to look for. I told my husband that
there's no butter in it after he told me how good it was and that made
him very happy. He said "I can eat as much as I want, maybe I'll eat
the whole thing".

But before I play around with the sugar or oil, I'll switch out the
oranges for lemons because olive oil, rosemary and lemon are a match
made in heaven.

> As you wrote elsewhere in the thread, it's probably not that important to
> use navel oranges. Given the choice, I'd probably use Valencia oranges,
> though it might be necessary to use four of them to make an equivalent
> amount of zest and juice as the three navel oranges called for in the
> recipe.

Exactly! I was thinking of Valencias when I wrote that. If they
produce a little more juice, I'd use it and let the cake stay in the
oven longer. I liked the crust on this cake, so maybe the oven
temperature should be lowered so it wouldn't end up any thicker. I'm
not a big baker, so I'll learn by trial and error.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> This is very easy to put together.
>
> `````````````````````````
>
> Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 3 eggs
> 3 large navel oranges, zested
> 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
> 2 cups all purpose flour
> 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1 (generous) tsp, finely chopped fresh rosemary
> 1/8 tsp salt
> Butter or non stick cooking spray to grease the pan
>
> Method:
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 X 4 loaf pan with butter
> or cooking spray.
>
> Measure sugar into a bowl. Zest the oranges and add the zest directly
> to the sugar in the bowl. Try to touch the zest as little as possible
> and mix it into the sugar with a whisk or a fork. The idea is to keep
> the orange oils for the sugar and not all over your hands. The sugar
> will turn an orangey color, <http://oi56.tinypic.com/2mqkwv5.jpg>
> which will be the color of the finished cake.
>
> Juice the oranges, for about 3/4 cups of juice. Set aside.
>
> Sift the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in the
> chopped rosemary and set aside.
>
> Add the oil to the sugar and mix until blended. Beat in each egg, one
> by one, until thick foamy and almost doubled. Add about 1/3 cup flour
> and mix it in well, alternate with about 1/4 cup of juice. Repeat
> until the flour and the juice are used up. Scrape batter off the
> sides of the bowl and gently pour it into the prepared loaf pan. Bake
> in preheated oven, for 50 minutes to 1 hour (mine took an hour), or
> until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
> <http://oi51.tinypic.com/27xgtxk.jpg>

Do you scoop and level or spoon in and level when you measure the cups of
flour?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:24:30 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

> Do you scoop and level or spoon in and level when you measure the cups of
> flour?

I sifted it first, then scooped and leveled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:24:30 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>
>> Do you scoop and level or spoon in and level when you measure the cups of
>> flour?

> I sifted it first, then scooped and leveled.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

Whose recipe is it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:33:31 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

> Whose recipe is it?

Mine. I had inspiration from several sources online, but this is my
own version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> > Orange and Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

>> Whose recipe is it?
>>

> Mine. I had inspiration from several sources online, but this is my
> own version.

Great, I'll try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:27:29 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" >
> > wrote:

> >> Whose recipe is it?
> >>

> > Mine. I had inspiration from several sources online, but this is my
> > own version.

> Great, I'll try it.

Thank! take that rosemary measure "with a little salt" because I
dumped before I measured. It was two 4-5 inch sprigs. I'll make it 3
sprigs next time because I thought it could use a stronger rosemary
flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 1:36*am, sf > wrote:
> This is very easy to put together. *
>
> `````````````````````````
>
> Orangeand Olive OilCakewithRosemary

OK, decided to make this for my lunch party on Saturday. So
Italiany! I am thinking a liquory glaze infused with rosemary and
orange peel. Whatcha think?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:20:07 -0700 (PDT), Giusi
> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 1:36*am, sf > wrote:
> > This is very easy to put together. *
> >
> > `````````````````````````
> >
> > Orangeand Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

> OK, decided to make this for my lunch party on Saturday. So
> Italiany! I am thinking a liquory glaze infused with rosemary and
> orange peel. Whatcha think?

I say go for it! Mine was nekkid, but your glaze would be icing on
the cake (so to speak). Do you plan to use Grand Marnier, Cointreau
or triple sec? When you decide, please post the technique for how you
infuse it. I'd be uncreative and just throw in some chop rosemary.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> OK, decided to make this for my lunch party on Saturday. So
>> Italiany! I am thinking a liquory glaze infused with rosemary and
>> orange peel. Whatcha think?

> I say go for it! Mine was nekkid, but your glaze would be icing on
> the cake (so to speak). Do you plan to use Grand Marnier, Cointreau
> or triple sec? When you decide, please post the technique for how you
> infuse it. I'd be uncreative and just throw in some chop rosemary.

I'll use something local. I'd make a syrup with the rosemary, ass butter
and liquor at the end. Drizzle into the cake. I just wanted a more done up
look for a party. I'm sure it's very good the way it is, but you know...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:10:16 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> OK, decided to make this for my lunch party on Saturday. So
> >> Italiany! I am thinking a liquory glaze infused with rosemary and
> >> orange peel. Whatcha think?

> > I say go for it! Mine was nekkid, but your glaze would be icing on
> > the cake (so to speak). Do you plan to use Grand Marnier, Cointreau
> > or triple sec? When you decide, please post the technique for how you
> > infuse it. I'd be uncreative and just throw in some chopped rosemary.

> I'll use something local. I'd make a syrup with the rosemary, ass butter
> and liquor at the end. Drizzle into the cake. I just wanted a more done up
> look for a party. I'm sure it's very good the way it is, but you know...

It's good the way it is. The reason I didn't glaze it is because my
last glaze was so transparent - it was just lemon juice and powdered
sugar. How do you get a citrusy flavor (or rosemary, in your case)
*and* a glaze that isn't semi-transparent? I understand how to make a
flavored sugar syrup, but don't know how to make a flavored, opaque
glaze. Is butter the key ingredient?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio
"Giusi" >
> wrote:

>> I'll use something local. I'd make a syrup with the rosemary, ass butter
>> and liquor at the end. Drizzle into the cake. I just wanted a more done
>> up
>> look for a party. I'm sure it's very good the way it is, but you know...
>>

> It's good the way it is. The reason I didn't glaze it is because my
> last glaze was so transparent - it was just lemon juice and powdered
> sugar. How do you get a citrusy flavor (or rosemary, in your case)
> *and* a glaze that isn't semi-transparent? I understand how to make a
> flavored sugar syrup, but don't know how to make a flavored, opaque
> glaze. Is butter the key ingredient?

I'm not looking for something opaque, but if I were I would look to my
mother's way. Confectioner's sugar, orange peel and prange juice. What I
want is something shiny and thinnish that I can prick the top of the cake
and let seep in, although not too much. I need to make it a day ahead
anyway, so I'll take advantage of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>
>> I'd make a syrup with the rosemary, ass butter
>> and liquor at the end.

> Has nobody else teased you for this typo?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

Nope, but happens all the time. The Italian keyboard is small and jammed up
because of the extra keys like @ # à ° ç é è ù ì

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:20:54 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

> "Ranée at Arabian Knits" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > "Giusi" > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd make a syrup with the rosemary, ass butter
> >> and liquor at the end.

> > Has nobody else teased you for this typo?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ranee @ Arabian Knits

> Nope, but happens all the time. The Italian keyboard is small and jammed up
> because of the extra keys like @ # à ° ç é è ù ì

Giusi, would you do better with an American keyboard? Wayne
introduced me to AllChars http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ years ago and
it's sooo easy to use, very intuitive. He used it a lot because he
often wrote in another language. They even have a version for Win7
now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Giusi, would you do better with an American keyboard? Wayne
> introduced me to AllChars http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ years ago and
> it's sooo easy to use, very intuitive. He used it a lot because he
> often wrote in another language. They even have a version for Win7
> now.

I tried one and it won't do because I write in Italian too often.

spaghettini with Olive Oil and Rosemary sf[_9_] General Cooking 44 05-07-2014 01:01 PM
Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary sf[_9_] General Cooking 56 30-01-2012 03:45 PM
Recipe: Gluten free orange/pistachio cake PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 10 02-09-2007 09:59 PM
ROSEMARY OLIVE OIL BREAD Tim Recipes 0 22-06-2005 05:43 PM
Blood Orange & Almond Cake - Recipe Viviane Buzzi Baking 0 20-09-2004 10:54 AM