Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default Orange-Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Rosemary

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:40:21 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> I'd never baked with it before. Don't even know why I had it on hand,
>>> but I did. I *really* like that cake! Flourless brownies are next on
>>> the agenda. Maybe I should use raw sugar for that too.
>>>

>> I dunno. The flavor is lost in an intense brownie.

> Okay, I'll take that under advisement. I'm new at baking with
> raw/turbinado sugar.
>> Um, did you say flourless???? I am listening....

> The thread about "bean" brownies is what got me looking. I came
> across "flourless brownies" which reminded me of Chocolate Decadence
> (aka: flourless chocolate cake) and there are lots of recipes out
> there, so if this one doesn't appeal - you can find more.
>
> Flourless Chocolate Cake
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...ate-Cake-14478
> Gourmet | November 1997
>
> Makes one 8-inch cake
>
> Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
>
> ingredients
>
> 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
> 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3 large eggs
> 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
>

> Preheat oven to 375°F and butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line
> bottom with a round of wax paper and butter paper.
>
> Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set
> over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter,
> stirring, until smooth. Remove top of double boiler or bowl from heat
> and whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. Sift
> 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just
> combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes,
> or until top has formed a thin crust. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5
> minutes and invert onto a serving plate.
>
> Dust cake with additional cocoa powder and serve with sorbet if
> desired. (Cake keeps, after being cooled completely, in an airtight
> container, 1 week.)

Thanks!

Now you're getting into familiar territory, although the cake I
started making in the very early 70s contained 2-3 Tbsps of flour.
Gee, I coulda made that yesterday. I should make one. For one
thing, it freezes really well, and can be sliced in the frozen state.

--
Jean B.