Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Is everyone on vacation?

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too much
milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy altogether. So a
taste preference really.

Angela loved it too but then she developed the coconut intolerance. Seems
many of her favorite foods and drinks had coconut in them. She loved the
coconut water too. Blech.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:33:38 +1000
"Ozgirl" wrote:

I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too
much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy
altogether. So a taste preference really.

Looking at your whole list, your diet isn't bad by my standards.
I don't see much sugar: only a little bit added to a sweet potato.
I am sometimes able to tolerate more sugar when I add
cinnamon. Strawberries have less fructose than most fruits; I still
eat a few myself (without sugar). The only dairy was a bit of cottage
cheese. The summer fruit is only there for a short time, and
this problem only occurs with regular ingestion after several
weeks.

I don't see any ice cream, soft drinks, or candy.

My FBG would probably stay under 110 with this, but I am trying to
keep it under 90.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:33:43 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it
Too much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy
altogether. So a taste preference really.

Angela loved it too but then she developed the coconut intolerance.
Seems many of her favorite foods and drinks had coconut in them. She
loved the coconut water too. Blech.

The way it seems to work with me is that I acquire an allergy to
anything that I eat regularly that contains fructose. According
to charts of fructose content, I could develop an allergy to
coconut. The coconuts here are older and not as sweet as the
ones in the charts, and they are so expensive here that I
rarely eat fresh. What I use in coffee and tea is
coconut cream, which is *cooked* coconut milk.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would probably have 1/2 a teaspoon or less of the cinnamon sugar. So
the sugar amount would be even less mixed with cinnamon. I gut a
thick'ish slice of sweet potato cross-ways so like a medallion. Not a
lot of surface to spice up If I was trying to manage bg's I would be
90 or less on this diet.

Old 13-09-2013, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:05:13 +0200
Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went
to a small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack
was baked Brie with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico
vinegar on the plate. Yum - and I took a chance that the honey
glazing was not enough to matter.

[0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...

So what is your a1c? How much insulin do you take?

Sorry - found this failed post in the spool. I wondered if I had
killfiled myself ...

Last a1c was 5.7 if I recall correctly - and I'm type 2, no insulin,
3 mg glimepiride daily. Fbg slightly above the diagnostic limit, 7.5
this morning, recent exercise brought it down from 8.7 or so. I'd
like to keep it lower, but the dawn phenomenon seems to hit me :-)

Anyway - no complications so far. Retinas OK, feet fine, no kidney
damage showing up in the blood work. Life is good. Wish I wasn't
looking over my shoulder for a certain Murphy to show up ...

7.5 is 135 the way we measure it here. That's too high,
even for an after meal spike.

I could be up there
after a meal of young cheese and glazed walnuts. I was
83 yesterday and 95 this morning. I ate a loaf
of commercial bread in the last two days. According to
the fructose intolerance forum the problem with bread is
actually the fructose. Yeast preferentially metabolizes
glucose and leaves the fructose behind. Some sourdough
breads are OK, because they have different microbes doing
the rising. This particular "Seattle style" sourdough
doesn't seem to be any worse than potatoes. Have to try
this a few more times to be sure.

I have not tested *cooked* cheese, and it could be that a
cooked young cheese would be OK. I found a list of fast food
meals with fructose content, and one major pizza chain seemed
to be tolerably low. Over the last two weeks I have had three
of them, and they don't seem to do anything bad. There isn't
a lot of cheese in there though.

So I have been able to expand my diet quite a bit by switching
from low carb to low fructose/galactose. There is Murphy lurking
there somewhere no doubt, and there there are Flale's corollaries
in the innate animosity of inanimate objects to consider. Watch out
for those.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 13-09-2013, 07:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:19:27 -0700, Trawley Trash
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:58:12 -0500
DonOpple0paad wrote:

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

That is what my doctor told me. When my a1c dropped from
11.1 to 5.4 he made a career decision. He now works in
emergency treating trauma. The doctor who replaced him
won't even talk about diabetes.

This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
casaba melons that I was asking about a year ago
in a local market. Had a nice big slice just before
bed. It was delicious. If it had been honeydew or
cantaloupe, my FBG would be in the diabetic range right
now.

Your nose is in the way, Pinocchio.
Old 14-09-2013, 01:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:05:22 -0700
Todd wrote:

Remember that 7.5 is based on 120 days, plus or
minus 25 days for a T0. S-L-O-P-P-Y.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full
"The 23 subjects with type 2 diabetes had a mean
erythrocyte survival of 112 ± 25 days"

So you have to do your own FBG average over the same
time frame and figure out what your actual A1c
correlates to for you. A1c is a really, really
sloppy measurement. But, helpful is you can say
my personal A1c corresponds to my my own FBG
of such and such.

You can't just use FBG to estimate what the a1c should
be. It is an average of BG for the last few months
(maybe 120 days). Really it is a weighted average
where the most recent BG readings have more effect
then those that are a month or two old. You need
calculus to describe it exactly. The paper points
out some of the factors that cause the averaging
function to vary.

My FBG was 105 this morning, and I began to worry
that all that extra bread was doing me in.
But I decided to continue this game one more day
before I cut back the calories. So I had
a large breakfast of two baked potatoes, 180 grams
of grass fed hamburger, an avocado, and a mound of
home made sauerkraut. When I was ready to go to
the gym an hour later, my BG had dropped to 70
(3.4 in your units).

Frustrated at my inability to show the slightest
sign of diabetes, I decided to go off my diet.
I went to a restaurant and
had eggs with more potatoes. The eggs had young
raw cheese on them with ham and bell peppers
(all bad), and of course I acquired an egg
allergy from a long-ago vaccination. Four hours
later my BG was still up at 150. Gratifying.

So then I went back on my diet. I made a huge
salad with iceberg lettuce,
lentil sprouts, and celery with olive oil and
fresh lime juice dressing. To go with it I
had four more slices of the magic BG-reducing bread.
An hour later BG had dropped to 109. Which
brings me up to the moment.

Clearly my BG readings are not following the approved
script. It does seem that my diet works very
well for me though. And although it may only
work for a minority, I don't believe it is
a minority of one.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Is everyone on vacation? TheRealDeal Diabetic 0 02-09-2013 09:12 PM
Vacation Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 7 09-09-2011 05:25 AM
I'm on Vacation!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 25 15-10-2007 02:27 PM
vacation sd danw4 Sourdough 4 18-09-2005 01:48 PM
Vacation THEMOM1 Baking 3 26-01-2004 04:24 PM