Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Is everyone on vacation?

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 22:29:01 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> > so sure that it only relates to me?

> Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention
> such a thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited
> amounts of sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

The problem here is that you need to understand a little chemistry.
Sucrose is a disaccharide composed
of two simple sugars: glucose and fructose. When you eat sucrose,
you are eating glucose and fructose. Similarly lactose is composed
of glucose and galactose. Glucose is absorbed into the blood and
metabolized by every cell in your body. Fructose and galactose
are metabolized by the liver, and our tolerance for these depends
on how much of certain enzymes we have. This tolerance is highly
individual.

I don't claim to eat *unlimited* glucose or anything else. There
is such a thing as too much. But even small amounts
of fructose or galactose give me trouble.

Normally tolerance for fructose declines as we age. Adults
cannot tolerate sugar the way children do. But over the last
century we have gradually increased the amount of fructose
in our diet to the point that even children can become type II.

That is my working theory at the moment.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.