danw4

Default vacation sd

howdy all. i am on vacation for 2 weeks in puerto vallara, mexico. as soon
as i arrived, i went to local supermarket (gigante), and bought 10 lbs of ap
flour. (not much choice in flours here and no bread flour). decided to
make a local starter for fun. took about a week to get real activity.
feedings 2 times a day.

shortly after i began project i realized my unit did not have an oven, last
time i was here they did. so, not even having my bbq setup i only had the
choice of the outside bbq at the resort- sans lid even! since my kids love
pizza, i decided to make pizza on the grill.

i made a dough from the starter by using the fold method- no mixer, and got
a manageable dough after about 4 folds, 45 min apart. since i did pack
parchment paper, i put the rolled out dough on the paper, let it rise about
90 min and took it down to the grill. oiled the top. laid the dough,
paperside down first. rotated it as needed because the grill has hot spots.
after about 10 min removed paper and flipped oiled side over to cook that
side.

then i added more oil, sauce, cheese, and veggies and meat. to get the
vegies cooked and chase melted, i took a thin pan and partly covered the
pizza, and rotated it every few minutes. the pizza came out beautiful and
very crispy. looked a little burned on bottom, but did not taste like
burned bread, not sure why.

any way i have a few more days here. if you have some ideas on what else i
can do with starter, other than pancakes- please post. my only source of
heat is a stove top and a bbq with no lid. any simple recipes would be very
helpful.

jimbob

Wow, you are a sourdough addict. lol. Are you bring the starter home
with you? Like you wouldn't, lol. I'm assuming you've got some kind of
pan or tray, stone. Well the obvious one is flat breads and tortillas.
I like adding sourdough when I make tortillas as it gives them a bit
more flavour. There so easy to make it's embarrassing. If you're not
guessing 30 parts water to 1 part salt, oil if you like a bit more than
salt and then the flour is till you have a dough of a commercial dough
firmness. Not the no knead glop. lol. Let them sit for about 20 mins
roll golf ball size pieces roll out to the thickness of these letters,
maybe a bit more, and cook on a hot plate or whatever you have on each
side till they puff up. They won't puff up if the plate isn't hot
enough.

Flat bread:
Make your standard dough, make balls, roll or press out 'til they're
about 1/3" thick, too thick or thick and they won't puff, but they'll
still be good. I've only done pittas in the oven but I seem to remember
them being cooked on a stone. I could be wrong. but like I said you can
still do flat breads a la pizza on a pan or hot stone, plant pot tray.
Add yogurt or milk and some Indian spices and you've got Naans. Cook
them tandoori style on the side of a plant pot. ** Take care with
direct flame on a plant pot. It will shatter.**

For desert.
Bake stones (picau are y maen) :

Ingredients:
8oz AP Flour
2oz Butter
2 Eggs, beaten
A Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
A Pinch of Baking Powder
2oz Dried Fruit (e.g. sultanas, raisins)
2oz Sugar
A little milk (if necessary)

Instructions

1. In a large mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your
fingertips until it is well blended and resembles fine breadcrumbs.

2. Add the eggs and remaining ingredients and beat to make a thick
batter.

3. Heat your griddle, stone or large frying pan until hot.

4. Place spoonfuls of the batter mixture onto the hot griddle and
cook on both sides

5. Split in two and butter well. Eat whilst still hot. I love them cold
as they are, no butter. They'll keep for a few days in an air tight
container. Pob luc a chi. Good luck.

Jim

jimbob

Picau ar y maen.

Pob luc ich chi.

Maen flein 'da fi am y sillafiad.

jimbob wrote:
> Wow, you are a sourdough addict. lol. Are you bring the starter home
> with you? Like you wouldn't, lol. I'm assuming you've got some kind of
> pan or tray, stone. Well the obvious one is flat breads and tortillas.
> I like adding sourdough when I make tortillas as it gives them a bit
> more flavour. There so easy to make it's embarrassing. If you're not
> guessing 30 parts water to 1 part salt, oil if you like a bit more than
> salt and then the flour is till you have a dough of a commercial dough
> firmness. Not the no knead glop. lol. Let them sit for about 20 mins
> roll golf ball size pieces roll out to the thickness of these letters,
> maybe a bit more, and cook on a hot plate or whatever you have on each
> side till they puff up. They won't puff up if the plate isn't hot
> enough.
>
> Flat bread:
> Make your standard dough, make balls, roll or press out 'til they're
> about 1/3" thick, too thick or thick and they won't puff, but they'll
> still be good. I've only done pittas in the oven but I seem to remember
> them being cooked on a stone. I could be wrong. but like I said you can
> still do flat breads a la pizza on a pan or hot stone, plant pot tray.
> Add yogurt or milk and some Indian spices and you've got Naans. Cook
> them tandoori style on the side of a plant pot. ** Take care with
> direct flame on a plant pot. It will shatter.**
>
> For desert.
> Bake stones (picau ar y maen) :
>
> Ingredients:
> 8oz AP Flour
> 2oz Butter
> 2 Eggs, beaten
> A Pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
> A Pinch of Baking Powder
> 2oz Dried Fruit (e.g. sultanas, raisins)
> 2oz Sugar
> A little milk (if necessary)
>
> Instructions
>
> 1. In a large mixing bowl, rub the butter into the flour with your
> fingertips until it is well blended and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
>
> 2. Add the eggs and remaining ingredients and beat to make a thick
> batter.
>
> 3. Heat your griddle, stone or large frying pan until hot.
>
> 4. Place spoonfuls of the batter mixture onto the hot griddle and
> cook on both sides
>
> 5. Split in two and butter well. Eat whilst still hot. I love them cold
> as they are, no butter. They'll keep for a few days in an air tight
> container. Pob luc a chi. Good luck.
>
> Jim

dan w

jimbob wrote:

> Wow, you are a sourdough addict. lol. Are you bring the starter home
> with you? Like you wouldn't, lol. I'm assuming you've got some kind of
> pan or tray, stone.
> snip

thanks for the recipe, i will try next time i am on the road, and yes, i
did bring the starter home. here are the pics from the grill:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1459327

dan w
jimbob

You're welcome. That looked like a good pizza. Necessity IS the mother
of invention.

Jim