Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Is everyone on vacation?

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 02:08:51 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message

> >> Uh... Honey is no better for diabetics than sugar!

> > Good point. Lots of people try to fool themselves to think some
> > "natural" sugar is OK for them. It isn't.

> I was just floored at what I read at a celiac forum. This person was
> upset because a certain restaurant chain has a gluten free menu but
> has a disclaimer on it that it might not be suitable for celiacs
> because they can't guarantee that there is no cross contamination.
> The person went on to ask if it used to be like this for diabetics
> who dined out. I think some of the others were just as floored as me
> by this one. Seemed to me that the person was one of those many who
> think something horrible will happen to use if we get sugar in our
> food. I guess I shouldn't be floored. I myself was one who used to
> think that. It's a very common myth and I don't know how it got
> started.

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something horrible
to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion to the
carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and (ga)lactose,
I do not need anything else to control BG.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.