Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Is everyone on vacation?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:47:00 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> On 09/07/2013 08:05 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> > The melons I found are grown commercially in Turlock California.
> > Had many arguments with my parents when I was young. They could
> > not understand why I would not eat cantaloupe and honeydew. They
> > made me feel ill.

> Thank you!
>
> You wouldn't happebd to have the botanical name for them?

Unfortunately taxonomy is not up to the task here. Wikipedia
says they are Cucumis melo Inodorus. Honeydew and crenshaw
are also the same species, but they have too much fructose.
This is a general problem when dealing with food crops. One
species name applies to a number of different varieties and
seemingly different fruits or vegetables. Within the species
these different products are hybridized to produce new crops.
Most commonly newer *sweeter* crops with more fructose.

The melons are grown commercially in southern California. They
are common in supermarkets there, and the melons are exported
all over the southwest. Loren Cordain is from Utah, so that
is probably the variety he tested. I had not seen them in
Washington state until last week, and there were only a few
of them mixed in with other varieties.

The melons are wrinkled yellow skin with traces of green. Inside
the flesh is white with some pale green near the rind.

Scientific nomenclature is not adequate to deal with domesticated
crops or animals. Almost every kind of bean you can think of is
phaseolus vulagris. Broccoli is actually a cabbage. Fructose
content also varies with growing conditions.

Even if I am right, just switching to these melons will not do much
for your diabetes. You have to eliminate all sources of fructose
and galactose.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.