Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Trawley Trash Trawley Trash is offline

Default Is everyone on vacation?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:05:13 +0200
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> >> However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went
> >> to a small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack
> >> was baked Brie with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico
> >> vinegar on the plate. Yum - and I took a chance that the honey
> >> glazing was not enough to matter.
> >>
> >> [0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...
> >>

> > So what is your a1c? How much insulin do you take?
> >

> Sorry - found this failed post in the spool. I wondered if I had
> killfiled myself ...
>
> Last a1c was 5.7 if I recall correctly - and I'm type 2, no insulin,
> 3 mg glimepiride daily. Fbg slightly above the diagnostic limit, 7.5
> this morning, recent exercise brought it down from 8.7 or so. I'd
> like to keep it lower, but the dawn phenomenon seems to hit me :-)
>
> Anyway - no complications so far. Retinas OK, feet fine, no kidney
> damage showing up in the blood work. Life is good. Wish I wasn't
> looking over my shoulder for a certain Murphy to show up ...

7.5 is 135 the way we measure it here. That's too high,
even for an after meal spike.

I could be up there
after a meal of young cheese and glazed walnuts. I was
83 yesterday and 95 this morning. I ate a loaf
of commercial bread in the last two days. According to
the fructose intolerance forum the problem with bread is
actually the fructose. Yeast preferentially metabolizes
glucose and leaves the fructose behind. Some sourdough
breads are OK, because they have different microbes doing
the rising. This particular "Seattle style" sourdough
doesn't seem to be any worse than potatoes. Have to try
this a few more times to be sure.

I have not tested *cooked* cheese, and it could be that a
cooked young cheese would be OK. I found a list of fast food
meals with fructose content, and one major pizza chain seemed
to be tolerably low. Over the last two weeks I have had three
of them, and they don't seem to do anything bad. There isn't
a lot of cheese in there though.

So I have been able to expand my diet quite a bit by switching
from low carb to low fructose/galactose. There is Murphy lurking
there somewhere no doubt, and there there are Flale's corollaries
in the innate animosity of inanimate objects to consider. Watch out
for those.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.