Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tap Water VS Bottled Water

What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in a gallon of water? TIA.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 3:40 pm, wrote:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in a gallon of water? TIA.

I would highly doubt you have "high counts" of bacteria in your tap
water as it is treated for just this reason. Fluoride, yes, bacteria,
most likely not. The "cleanest" bottled water is distilled, but that
is not necessarily the best for tea.

Almost all bottled water comes from those very same taps you find
troublesome just around the country. They filter the water and bottle
it. You can do the very same.

I am a hiker and deal with water purification in the field at times, I
prefer either boiling or a chemical (bleach/Aquasafe tablets) to UV
methods like a Steripen. Many use the UV methods but it is not
something I put any trust in.

- Dominic
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

bacteria is everywhere in nature
bacteria is all over in/on the human body, contributing to some
essential functions.

from what water report did you read "high count of bacteria" ?

here? http://www.calwater.com/your_water/c...2007/index.php

if such levels reach a threshold they would stop pumping it as opposed
to giving thousands of people and children diarrhea... and having to
pay 10s of millions of dollars in health care and lawsuits.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:40:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in a gallon of water? TIA.

I saw a UV light, SteriPENN, that fits in a pocket and will kill even
viruses. It's at

http://www.rei.com/product/761905

Problem is, though, the water has to be clear or any particulates,
such as tea, will cause "shadowing" that prevents the UV from working.

bookburn
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 5:06 pm, wrote:
I saw a UV light, SteriPENN, that fits in a pocket and will kill even
viruses. It's at

http://www.rei.com/product/761905

Problem is, though, the water has to be clear or any particulates,
such as tea, will cause "shadowing" that prevents the UV from working.

bookburn

I mentioned this device in my reply, however as I briefly stated above
I would never actually trust this in real life as a well seasoned
hiker/backpacker/camper. This reply is not so much directed to you,
but just in general since I didn't expand too much on my distrust of
UV sterilization.

There is no way to tell if it has "worked." There is no way to tell if
it is in proper working condition (batteries of sufficient charge,
malfunction, any sort of failure). It is dependent on power, which is
not always available... even with a gimmicky solar case. A cloudy day
or night or dense cover or about a million other problems could arise
to render it useless like a cracked panel from oh, say just the kind
of traumatic experience that would lead one to truly need to rely on
it. No filtration at all. I truly could go on forever but I'll cut it
short here. Please read the customer reviews from that REI link as
well as elsewhere on the 'net if you are even considering a UV
sterilizer.

I truly depend on my gear and it can mean the difference between life
and death. Too often I see people fall for the latest gimmick or
flashy product and get stuck in some very bad situations. Sure, here
it may just mean a bad cup of tea but I figured I'd at least offer my
3 cents (the dollar is finally mounting a comeback).

- Dominic

PS FWIW I use a Katadyn Hiker Pro with Aqua Mira tablets as my backup
in almost all occasions. A bandana is my backup filter before
purifying.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:10 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 1:15*pm, "Dominic T." wrote:
On Aug 8, 3:40 pm, wrote:

[...]

I plan on trying out UV on my drinking water and posting the results
here. And yes the tap water here has a high bacteria count. I've
tested it.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 1:40*pm, SN wrote:
bacteria is everywhere in nature
bacteria is all over in/on the human body, contributing to some
essential functions.

from what water report did you read "high count of bacteria" ?

here?http://www.calwater.com/your_water/c...2007/index.php

wow lots of spanish tap drinkers.
No I tested it myself using a kit.

if such levels reach a threshold they would stop pumping it as opposed
to giving thousands of people and children diarrhea... and having to
pay 10s of millions of dollars in health care and lawsuits.

It's high, I haven't the figures in front of me. Don't know if it's
high enough to create serious health probs, but long term it may
accumulate enough to be a serious issue.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 2:06*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:40:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride. And is it true a simple UV light will kill 99.9% of bacteria
in a gallon of water? TIA.

I saw a UV light, SteriPENN, *that fits in a pocket and will kill even
viruses. *It's at

*http://www.rei.com/product/761905

Problem is, though, the water has to be clear or any particulates,
such as tea, will cause "shadowing" that prevents the UV from working.

bookburn

Super thanks. Lol. Luckily my tap water isn't as mirky as tea,
especially in the filtered reservoir.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 2:06*pm, Lewis Perin wrote:
writes:
What's the cleanest (from the harmful crap like bacteria/lead/etc)
bottled water anyone? Bay area tap water has high counts of bacteria &
floride.

If you're worried about fluoride, maybe you shouldn't drink tea, which
adds fluoride to the water it's steeped in.

I drink tea daily for the health benefits. I've read a lot of negative
things about tea. Don't know what to believe anymore without testing
things yourself. That's why it's wise to do it yourself. How adverse
is flouride?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 8, 2:26*pm, "Dominic T." wrote:

I mentioned this device in my reply, however as I briefly stated above
I would never actually trust this in real life as a well seasoned
hiker/backpacker/camper. This reply is not so much directed to you,
but just in general since I didn't expand too much on my distrust of
UV sterilization.

There is no way to tell if it has "worked."

Why not? Do two water sample tests pre and post UV.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote

I drink tea daily for the health benefits. I've read a lot of negative
things about tea.

Would you please tell me about it, directing me
to references or any literautre on the web,
for instance?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 10, 12:57*pm, "chance" wrote:
wrote *

I drink tea daily for the health benefits. I've read a lot of negative
things about tea.

Would you please tell me about it, directing me
to references or any literautre on the web,
for instance?

There's a lot, I don't know where, but don't worry. One thread/site
said some ingredient in tea causes cancer. No worry, because billions
drink tea and prolly 50% of the heaviest tea drinkers who live a long
life didn't die of cancer. Also, you can bet EVERY thing we eat or
drink has at least one adverse health aspect to it. (For every
advantage, there's disadvantages). Even the sun which supports all
life and is healthy especially the natural vitamin D, has some harmful
aspects to it including skin cancer. Yes some foods are unhealthier
than others. Tea ain't one. Eat, sip and be merry. Continue sipping
and enjoying the sun. 8)

Just make sure your water is clean - that's the big issue and one that
can be dealt with fairly easily and inexpensively.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 10, 1:41*pm, wrote:

Oh yeah, make sure the air you breathe is clean. Very important. Live
upwind from cities. We must go gas-free. I hope gas climbs to $1000/
gallon to speed things along.

And filter your home air! For fast results, I place a big strong
Patton fan at the corner of the biggest room aimed at the hallway. I
weave a damp large beach towel through 3 mesh baskets and place it at
the back of the fan and crank that puppy on high for about fifteen
minutes twice a day. The moisture in the towel traps the most minute
particles that expensive filters miss. Make sure the towel is thin and
the meshing is very aerated so that the fan can easily pull as much
air through it as possible. I also have one fan filter where I spend
most of my time.
The air you breath is as vital as your drinking water. One reason is
we drink about 6-10 glasses of water each day. Compare that to 23,500
breaths we inhale each day!

You can also create pure air by boiling water. Something air-filter
companies won't tell you. You'd be surprised how much air can be made
from so little water. You can see the process using a kettle.

The problem is air moisture (humidity) will be high .. which ages
electronics (for every advantage, there's a disadvantage). A good
dehumidifier will help if you use it simultaneously.

BTW this is how the earth got its air: water flowed onto lava. At
least that's my current personal view.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

On Aug 10, 5:08*pm, wrote:

And filter your home air!... The moisture in the towel traps the most minute
particles that expensive filters miss.

Why? What is the benefit you're trying to achieve?
Cancer? ... Lung cancer has cigarette smoking as the cause of 90%

23,500 breaths we inhale each day!

you mean 14400-20160 ... lets just say 17280 for simplicity. You
obviously breathe more than normal adults. The theophylline sure is
doing a number on you... better check those levels before you
overdose.

You'd be surprised how much air can be made from so little water.
BTW this is how the earth got its air: water flowed onto lava.

rec.food.drink.tea = tea =/= (does not equal to) humidifiers, air
purifiers or lava.

.