Old 06-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Old 06-03-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message
Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Interesting article, especially the bit about NY City tap water, which
happens to be quite good. Sadly, most residents probably have no idea where
it comes from, because in NYC, it's illegal to sell maps which indicate that
there's anything North of Yonkers.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.

nancy

Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.

nancy

I've lived in places where the water was terrible, and places where it was
fine. When I lived where the water was really terrible, I was also really
broke, so I learned to live with it most of the time. It was okay for coffee
and cooking, and if I had to, I could drink it. But when I went to visit
people in good-water places, I'd bring gallon bottles and bring home their
tap water. They thought I was a little crazy unless they'd actually tasted
my tap water.

Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
supply.

Donna

Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in news:duhu0n$d7v$1
@news.monmouth.com:

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.

nancy

I remember in Los Angeles, in the Sunday L.A.Times there were two
sidebars listing the water and air contents in percentages for the past
week. Neither was ever exceptional to say the least.

Andy

Old 06-03-2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
(Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
understand.

Leila

Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Leila wrote:

I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
(Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
understand.

It's funny that people bitch and complain so much about the price of
gasoline these days and then they go out and spent a lot more that than by
volume on water. I confess to using bottled water when on vacation because
there seems to be something in water in some places that can cause a bit of
a reaction with my system and I would rather play it safe than spoil a
vacation. I have a distiller at home because I have a problem with my well
and cistern, but when I am in the local towns and cities I have no problem
drinking the municipal water. It's good. I realize it is not that good
everywhere. I have a friend in the interior of BC who pays next to nothing
for water, but the water is hardly pristine. You can see particles in it,
and it has an odd taste. I would be filtering or distilling it for drinking
if I lived there. Otherwise I would be drinking bottle water. If I were
drinking bottled water I would be buying it in 5 gallon jugs and
transferring it into smaller bottles. I am amazed at the people around here
who buy cases and cases of 12 oz. bottles of water.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Leila wrote:

[...]

Even dumber: A few months back, on the news, I heard a story about a company
that's trying to market bottled water for dogs. Apparently, it's selling
well. The reporter interviewed a veterinarian who reminded listeners that
dogs will happily drink out of toilet bowls and filthy puddles in the
street.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Interesting article, especially the bit about NY City tap water, which
happens to be quite good. Sadly, most residents probably have no idea where
it comes from, because in NYC, it's illegal to sell maps which indicate that
there's anything North of Yonkers.

We travel a good bit now we're retired and have found such a big
difference in water from area to area. We now always carry bottled
water with us. Not that its any better, just that it provides a
consistency which permits our bodily functions to operate on a more even
keel. Perils of age.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-03-06, D.Currie wrote:

Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
supply.

Bingo! I know there are still thousands, perhaps millions, of folks
out there who still believe fluoride is a communist plot, or some such
nonsense and municipalities are still not fluoridating their water.

I've seen the results of fluoridated water first hand. I grew up
before widespread fluoridation and by time I was eight, every molar in
my mouth had been filled. When my daughter grew up in the 70s, our
water was fluoridated and she had no cavities till she was in her late
teens. Now, in another fluoride free town, my grandkids are getting
cavities left and right. My oldest, five, has just had five cavities
filled. It's criminal! Morons.

As for bottled water, yes there are some really bad municipal
supplies. Even the heralded well water is not beyond being bad. I
recall one location I lived, the well water was almost undrinkable.
Even Kool-Aid was no aid. The only thing that worked was leaving
a vessel in the fridge for about 48hrs. Then it was at least palatable.

These days, instead of buying much overpriced bottles water, I use
Brita. It works very well and is much more cost effective.

nb
..

Old 06-03-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

Bingo! I know there are still thousands, perhaps millions, of folks
out there who still believe fluoride is a communist plot, or some such
nonsense and municipalities are still not fluoridating their water.

I've seen the results of fluoridated water first hand. I grew up
before widespread fluoridation and by time I was eight, every molar in
my mouth had been filled. When my daughter grew up in the 70s, our
water was fluoridated and she had no cavities till she was in her late
teens. Now, in another fluoride free town, my grandkids are getting
cavities left and right. My oldest, five, has just had five cavities
filled. It's criminal! Morons.

Our water was fluoridated when I was a kid. It didn't save me from a lot of
cavities but my younger brother and I both suffered from enamel cracking
problems. We have well water here, so no chlorine or fluorine, but he had
fluoride treatment at the dentist, and there is fluoride in toothpaste.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.

nancy

Hi Nancy,
What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water is
considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding bacteria
checks etc., that municipal water does. In some cases the bottled water is
contaminated with chemicals and bacteria. Not exactly what you'd expect
when the bottle says glacier pure. So it's more than the fact that some of
the bottled water out there is strictly tap water in a bottle. I don't buy
bottled water as I have no need for it and I didn't know any of this stuff.
But I guess if there is a way to make money off a product you got to expect
something similar. :{
Janet

Old 07-03-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:
Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

The local joke in my area is the bottling plant that bottles for one
particular megamart uses water from a local reservoir that was taken out
of service because it is contaminated with various industrial solvents.
They run it thru a filtering process but if people only knew about the
"mountain spring water" they were buying.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" wrote in message
Janet Bostwick wrote:
Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

The local joke in my area is the bottling plant that bottles for one
particular megamart uses water from a local reservoir that was taken out
of service because it is contaminated with various industrial solvents.
They run it thru a filtering process but if people only knew about the
"mountain spring water" they were buying.

That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.
Janet

Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

Hi Nancy,
What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water
is considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding
bacteria checks etc., that municipal water does.

Oh, Janet, I'm sorry, I stepped all over your story without meaning
to.

In some cases the bottled water is contaminated with chemicals and
bacteria. Not exactly what you'd expect when the bottle says glacier
pure. So it's more than the fact that some of the bottled water out there
is strictly tap water in a bottle. I don't buy bottled water as I have no
need for it and I didn't know any of this stuff. But I guess if there is a
way to make money off a product you got to expect something similar. :{

Okay, now I've read far enough to find that water filtration comany/ies
are behind the article. Meaning I take it with a grain of salt, so to
speak. They're selling filters. Doesn't mean they are wrong, and I don't
even normally buy water, I was just flapping my gums about why people
might buy water.

Forgiven?

nancy