Old 08-02-2019, 12:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni. They
are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is because
they have changed the recipes over the years.

For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I remember
the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember showing
Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The ravioli that
is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.

After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it with no
egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite honestly, I
can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it with
parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.

Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

Old 08-02-2019, 01:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Yoose have probably had a prophylactic reaction to the stuff.

Throw it out yoose window, take two aspirins, and call a doctor in the
morning.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2019 7:39 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

And put the lime in the coconut..

Old 08-02-2019, 11:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 6:44:09 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Chef Boyardee Throwup

It sucked when we were young but we were too undeveloped to know the
difference. It still sucks.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:43:58 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

There is no way any B&M store was charging $3 for a can of
Chefboyadree. You just make up these inflated prices to justify your
overspending on online shopping.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it!

Wow, I'm shocked! Stop the presses! Everybody knew the ending to
this as soon as we saw the subject and the poster. Next time just
post the subject and leave the body of the message blank - we'll get
the message.

-sw

Old 08-02-2019, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

no, we ate them once in a while as a kid, but
not since then.

it's really not very hard to do better cooking
your own.

songbird
Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-08 11:19 a.m., songbird wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

no, we ate them once in a while as a kid, but
not since then.

it's really not very hard to do better cooking
your own.

We at canned pasta when we were kids. There were not a large Italian
community in the country at the time, certainly not in our small town,
and Chef Boy R D and Heinz were the only pasta we knew. Haven't touched
the stuff in more than 50 years.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:43:58 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

There is no way any B&M store was charging $3 for a can of
Chefboyadree. You just make up these inflated prices to justify your
overspending on online shopping.

How would you know what our prices are here? I saw it at Fred Meyer. But not
the Ravioli.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

no, we ate them once in a while as a kid, but
not since then.

it's really not very hard to do better cooking
your own.

I know. I just don't know how to make Ravioli without egg and I mainly buy
this stuff for those times when I can't cook. We've had a lot of power
outages this year and are likely to have another with this storm. My water
heater is gas so I can fill a pot with hot water and set a can in it for a
while to at least warm it up a bit. Sometimes that sounds more appealing
than peanut butter and crackers.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

news
On 2019-02-08 11:19 a.m., songbird wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

no, we ate them once in a while as a kid, but
not since then.

it's really not very hard to do better cooking
your own.

We at canned pasta when we were kids. There were not a large Italian
community in the country at the time, certainly not in our small town, and
Chef Boy R D and Heinz were the only pasta we knew. Haven't touched the
stuff in more than 50 years.

My mom made spaghetti but it was horrible. She made the sauce from a packet.
It separated into pink watery stuff and red lumps. At the time, the only
pasta we ever had in the house besides canned was spaghetti, macaroni or egg
noodles. I do remember having canned alphabet soup. So alphabet noodles
might have been available but my mom preferred packets to scratch cooking so
she never would have made such a soup.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
We at canned pasta when we were kids. There were not a large Italian
community in the country at the time, certainly not in our small town,
and Chef Boy R D and Heinz were the only pasta we knew. Haven't touched
the stuff in more than 50 years.

Mom was taught by Grandma. Grandma came from
Italy. i've learned how to cook pretty well from
Mom but have also branched out and learned other
cuisines too as i can.

songbird
Old 09-02-2019, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 02:56:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

It sucked when we were young but we were too undeveloped to know the
difference. It still sucks.

I agree. Based on what I remember how any canned ready-to-heat & eat tomato
pasta product tastes (& smells), I have no intent to ever buy any again,
except maybe for a camping trip.

Notwithstanding that this seems be everyone's scentiment, I heave read on
the Internet somewhere that such items are actually 'haute cuisine' in
places with extremely limited markets where shipping costs are high, such
as remote islands, or way up north.

Sort of like caviar I suppose. I have eaten it and although I thoroughly
enjoy fish & most other seafoods(*), I will go after most other stuff
first.

(*) I have not yet tried the Greenland Shark that starts out toxic and is
made edible by burying it for a few months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
Old 09-02-2019, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said "Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 3:51:10 PM UTC-10, Mike_Duffy wrote:
[...]

As far as I know, Chef Boyardee canned pasta products is made for parents/grandparents who don't want to spend a whole lot of time tending for their young offspring. They want something they can open and shove into the gaping maws of their little birdies so they're not hungry. Something rich in carbs so that the little dears might want to take a nappy afterwards. It is not meant to be eaten by anybody over the age of 7.

OTOH, back in the 60's the Chef Boyardee Spaghetti was standard American fare - enjoyed by adults and children alike. I've opened up quite a few cans of the stuff myself. One large can fed my parents and brother and I back in the day. Now that's what I call eatin' cheap!
Old 09-02-2019, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:49:37 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 15:43:58 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

There is no way any B&M store was charging $3 for a can of
Chefboyadree. You just make up these inflated prices to justify your
overspending on online shopping.

How would you know what our prices are here? I saw it at Fred Meyer. But not
the Ravioli.

Because I've proved your pricing drastically wrong at least twice
before and you tried to wiggle out of it with some bullshit. Each
time. I'd prove it again just so we could you wiggle and squirm,
but that stuff is long gone off of store shelves, including Fred
Meyer. So who gives a shit.

-sw