Old 09-02-2019, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni. They
are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is because
they have changed the recipes over the years.

For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I remember
the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember showing
Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The ravioli that
is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.

After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it with no
egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite honestly, I
can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it with
parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.

Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said "Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.