Old 16-02-2019, 11:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2019-02-16 6:29 p.m., S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECONDÂ* ingredient€”right behind
tomato purĂ©e.Â* That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Perhaps not misinformed.
Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

When I was a kid my friend's father was a VP at Canada Dry and we had an
almost endless supply of the stuff. As a kid, I never cared much for
Coke. Despite almost never drinking it at home, I had some when I was in
France. It was delicious, much better than the Coke I was used to.

Old 16-02-2019, 11:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
Perhaps not misinformed.
Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

I got it from he

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E

UK ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder

US ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate

Australia ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

Old 17-02-2019, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 21:23:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.

Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
"water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
retain color)."

Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.

We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!

You are misinformed. CampbellÂ’s tomato soup doesnÂ’t contain sugar, it
contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient—right behind
tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Doesn't it say sugar as the 3rd ingredient after water and tomato
puree?

No, it says €śTomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup,
Wheat Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate.€ť

Old 17-02-2019, 12:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
[...]

I got mine direst from Campbells.

Old 17-02-2019, 12:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
Phosphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

Old 17-02-2019, 01:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
UK ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch,
Cream, Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract,
Citric Acid, Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder

US ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate

Australia ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

We're fortunate here.Â* Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
Phosphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

Yummy.

Old 17-02-2019, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
[...]

I guess cshenk got hers from the fairies as usual.
Old 17-02-2019, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:58:49 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

[...]

To each their own science project.
Old 17-02-2019, 07:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:15:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

He took a bowl, put cubes of Swiss cheese in it, cottage

cheese, some guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with some
salad that was asst. vegetables with olives, Feta cheese and
pecans. Added a goodly drizzle of honey on top. There may
have been more things he added that I left out but I
hadn't eaten yet. I didn't want to lose my appetite and had to
keep looking
away. Does that sound like a foodie to you?

It sounds like somebody using up everything you buy while he

can. It sound like he feels right at home.

=-sw

He should feel right at home. He LIVES here!

Probably inside now? You have snow and your back house has no
heat or plumbing. I remember. So if he lives in your house or
property, is he paying some kind of rent? He should be.

It has heat. Just no way to get water from there. I was told we
could put a hose type faucet there but it's too far from the main
line to get the water back out. And no, he doesn't pay rent. He
can stay in that building but I can't legally rent it. Why is
everyone here all up in my business?

There's some very innovative solutions used with RV's that he might
have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric hot
water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a small tub
type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you just fill
with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of them for a
camper friend of mine.

Nope. I'm not adding anything there. He can always stay in this house
if he wants to. The problem with water is, there is no way to drain
it back out. Not like an RV. It's a building that won't move.

Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day to
take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.

I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and he
has a water dispenser for drinking.

Old 17-02-2019, 07:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon
wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all
buy that doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big
potful and freeze portions... would be a much better product
and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff
than open a little can probably need to get themselves a better
can opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better
result.
For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.

Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

Old 17-02-2019, 07:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Nope.

https://www.campbells.com/campbell-s...d/tomato-soup/

These days, in this country, HFCS is used whenever possible instead of
sugar.

Old 17-02-2019, 07:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
[...]

True. I remember a debate about McDonald's fry ingredients. The US had
different ones than in Canada.

Old 17-02-2019, 07:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
[...]

Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

Old 17-02-2019, 08:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

Bruce wrote:
[...]

In what way is that better or worse?
Old 17-02-2019, 08:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Lack of salt?! Their tomato soup contains 20% of the maximum daily value.
Their vegetarian vegetable contains over 25% of the maximum recommended
daily value. They also have added HFCS. Who needs that in soup??

Nobody.