Old 09-02-2019, 06:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

"dsi1" wrote in message
On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 3:51:10 PM UTC-10, Mike_Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 02:56:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

It sucked when we were young but we were too undeveloped to know the
difference. It still sucks.

I agree. Based on what I remember how any canned ready-to-heat & eat
tomato
pasta product tastes (& smells), I have no intent to ever buy any again,
except maybe for a camping trip.

Notwithstanding that this seems be everyone's scentiment, I heave read on
the Internet somewhere that such items are actually 'haute cuisine' in
places with extremely limited markets where shipping costs are high, such
as remote islands, or way up north.

Sort of like caviar I suppose. I have eaten it and although I thoroughly
enjoy fish & most other seafoods(*), I will go after most other stuff
first.

(*) I have not yet tried the Greenland Shark that starts out toxic and is
made edible by burying it for a few months:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

As far as I know, Chef Boyardee canned pasta products is made for
parents/grandparents who don't want to spend a whole lot of time tending for
their young offspring. They want something they can open and shove into the
gaping maws of their little birdies so they're not hungry. Something rich in
carbs so that the little dears might want to take a nappy afterwards. It is
not meant to be eaten by anybody over the age of 7.

OTOH, back in the 60's the Chef Boyardee Spaghetti was standard American
fare - enjoyed by adults and children alike. I've opened up quite a few cans
of the stuff myself. One large can fed my parents and brother and I back in
the day. Now that's what I call eatin' cheap!

---

I don't think we ever had it when I was a kid. We did have Spaghettios. Ick.
And Campbell's soup. Our lunches at home were generally from a can.
Exception might be on a hot summer day. Then it might be cottage cheese,
tuna salad or raw veggies and a piece of cheese.

I did try the spaghetti as an adult as it was very cheap. It's not something
I prefer but I would eat it if starving.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni.
They
are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is because
they have changed the recipes over the years.

For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I remember
the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember
showing
Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The ravioli
that
is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.

After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it with no
egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite honestly,
can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it
with
parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.

Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that
you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied
for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of
Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said
"Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!

Old 09-02-2019, 08:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:07:35 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

The way I did it was to brown 1 lb of hamburger, drain, and add 1 large can of Boyardee Spaghetti, mix, then let simmer for a few minutes. Add several slices of American cheese and simmer until melted. I remember it as being pretty delish.

Oddly enough, my wife's Korean mother made this same dish. Beats me where she learned to make this. I thought it was something that only I made.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 00:48:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:07:35 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

I don't think we ever had it when I was a kid. We did have Spaghettios. Ick.
And Campbell's soup. Our lunches at home were generally from a can.
Exception might be on a hot summer day. Then it might be cottage cheese,
tuna salad or raw veggies and a piece of cheese.

I did try the spaghetti as an adult as it was very cheap. It's not something
I prefer but I would eat it if starving.

The way I did it was to brown 1 lb of hamburger, drain, and add 1 large can of Boyardee Spaghetti, mix, then let simmer for a few minutes. Add several slices of American cheese and simmer until melted. I remember it as being pretty delish.

Oddly enough, my wife's Korean mother made this same dish. Beats me where she learned to make this. I thought it was something that only I made.

One can only hope that it hasn't spread any further than you two,
can't one?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:08:45 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

I'd eat it in a pinch. There's a lot of things more disgusting than some mushy noodles in an overly sweet tomato-like sauce.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...MnYa933mOYuBum

Old 09-02-2019, 09:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that
you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied
for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of
Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said
"Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!

I'd eat it in a pinch. There's a lot of things more disgusting than some mushy noodles in an overly sweet tomato-like sauce.

Yes but I'm not sure if the fact that you'd eat something is a
recommendation
Old 09-02-2019, 09:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
dsi1 wrote:

I'd eat it in a pinch. There's a lot of things more disgusting than some
mushy noodles in an overly sweet tomato-like sauce.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...MnYa933mOYuBum

That's one large silkworm at about 3/4 pound. I'll have to recalibrate
my perception of them.

leo
Old 09-02-2019, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

When for just me and I don't feel like taking the time to boil a pot
of water and then the time to cook pasta I'd cook a packet or two of
ramen noodles sans seasoning, plop the noodles in a sieve to drain and
then plop the noodles into a bowl of homemade pasta sauce that was
just nuked... far better than any canned pasta and costs a lot less...
I buy ramen in those large cartons of like 24 packets, comes out to
12-14 cents per. I'll usually give it a grate of cheese, and a few
sheds of left over meat found in the fridge. Ramen Italiano is cheap,
quick, and tasty. Years ago I tried canned cheese ravioli, blech!
Canned pasta is slippery slime and the sauce is gack.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

--

There you go! Your marriage was written in the stars)

Old 09-02-2019, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

==

You would eat that??? Hm not sure I would even have 'OYuBum' in my pantry

lol

Old 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can
that
you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps
occupied
for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can
of
Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said
"Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!

I'd eat it in a pinch. There's a lot of things more disgusting than some
mushy noodles in an overly sweet tomato-like sauce.

Yes but I'm not sure if the fact that you'd eat something is a
recommendation

==

Don't be to sure He has shared a lot of good stuff with me that I still
make)

Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

I know. He also talks about interesting Asian food
Old 09-02-2019, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 18:02:42 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .

"dsi1" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, those are the ones I make)

Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/9/2019 1:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

honestly, I
can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it
with
parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.

Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can
that you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps
occupied for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and
saw a can of Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my
granddaughter and she said "Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is
familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!

IMHO, all those Chef Boyardee canned pastas in sauce (Beef-a-Roni,
Ravioli, Spaghetti with Meatballs) are essentially the same. Only the
shape of the pasta is different.

Jill
Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

I never tried the spaghetti with meatballs. Not a fan of meatballs. To me
the Beefaroni was different. Seemed kind of chalky or something.