Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>> >
>> > Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
>> > more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
>> > Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> vegetable.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>has sugar added at all.

Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
"water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
retain color)."

Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.

We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-16 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

>> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
>> high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
>> noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian vegetable.

I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge and
had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of tomato
paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was not just a
richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> >cheese, >>some >>>> guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with some
> >salad >>that was asst. >>>> vegetables with olives, Feta cheese and
> >pecans. >>Added a goodly drizzle >> of >>>> honey on top. There may
> >have been >>more things he added that I left out >>>> but I

> >can. >>>>> It sound like he feels right at home.

> can >>> stay in that building but I can't legally rent it. Why is
> everyone >>> here all up in my business?
> > >
> >> There's some very innovative solutions used with RV's that he might
> >> have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric hot
> >> water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a small tub
> >> type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you just fill
> >> with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of them for a
> >> camper friend of mine.
> > >
> >> ==
> > >
> >> Yes, we use something similar with ours.
> > >
> >> Works very well!

> > Yup! My friends did end up ordering one I suggested and are
> > awaiting arrival. It wasn't too much money at all and is easy for
> > them to take with them. I think 200$ is a decent price. Anyways,
> > these would be things he'd add (then take with him when he moves).
> > Has a sort of spigot so if you have a hose to attach, it will pump
> > out hot water at the same rate as fed in (LP bottle).
> >
> > They plan to add an attachment they can hang it from, to the top
> > back of the RV so it can be used with an 'out door shower' they put
> > together with PVC pipe. They already had the out door shower but
> > said heating some water from RV power (their level of it) was a
> > PITA.
> >
> > BTW, it's a really basic 'RV' so no, doesn't have a shower inside.
> > What they describe of the toilet is basically clumping cat litter
> > (grin). They enjoy driving off on long weekends and don't need
> > much.
> >
> > It interesed me to look up some possible things they might find
> > useful in the small space. Made my wandering foot happy to
> > consider getting something like that going.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh I think you would enjoy) Ours has a shower inside and guess
> > what??? I have my kitchen lol It is supposed to be a bedroom but
> > ... heck you know me)))

> Yeah, I saw a cute rental that might be fun. I liked the type where
> it has it's own truck and isn't much more than a 2 person thing. I can
> work with a cube fridge and 1 burner. Off looking at some of the
> mini-showers.
> ==
>
> Good luck) We keep ours on a farm in Yorkshire and we go down
> whenever we want Back in the day we used to travel with it, but
> these days we are more then happy on the farm
>
> btw our shower is in the same tiny (room?) with the toilet. We just
> have to shut a door to close off the toilet itself and the shower is
> on the wall.
>
> Do let me know what you find and if it is good for you)

Not sure we will do more than maybe rent one! Fun idea though!
Carol

==

I am sure many people rent and so long as you enjoy it... good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff than
> >> open a little can probably need to get themselves a better can
> >> opener.

> > Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better
> > result.
> > For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
> high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
> noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.
>
> I'm peeking over what to start for the weekend cookery and thinking of
> a diced tomato based soup with dried beans and zuccini. I have some
> leftover pork and rice based meatloaf that would fit in nicely. The
> flavors would work well with aniseed
>
> I have to keep it low-cal as well as our daughter is going into the
> Navy but we have to trim her a little and get her better at running
> and such. She was 8lbs over the limit when we made the initial visit
> 4 weeks ago and now shes 1.5lbs over the limit and working out every
> day.
>
> Her aim right now is 6 days a week she has 300 calories per meal, plus
> 200 in 'snacks'. One day a week she gets to 'cheat' with a 600
> calorie meal paired to 2 300 calorie ones and 200 in snacks. It's
> working fine obviously.
>
> ==
>
> Lovely, following in your footsteps eh) I wish her good luck

And her fathers as well with the Navy! Please don't mix us with
Sheldon. We are worlds apart from him.

===

She is your daughter, not Sheldon's and I didn't for one second mix you up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:23:01 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
>> high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
>> noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.
>>
>> I'm peeking over what to start for the weekend cookery and thinking of
>> a diced tomato based soup with dried beans and zuccini. I have some
>> leftover pork and rice based meatloaf that would fit in nicely. The
>> flavors would work well with aniseed
>>
>> I have to keep it low-cal as well as our daughter is going into the
>> Navy but we have to trim her a little and get her better at running
>> and such. She was 8lbs over the limit when we made the initial visit
>> 4 weeks ago and now shes 1.5lbs over the limit and working out every
>> day.
>>
>> Her aim right now is 6 days a week she has 300 calories per meal, plus
>> 200 in 'snacks'. One day a week she gets to 'cheat' with a 600
>> calorie meal paired to 2 300 calorie ones and 200 in snacks. It's
>> working fine obviously.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Lovely, following in your footsteps eh) I wish her good luck

>And her fathers as well with the Navy! Please don't mix us with
>Sheldon. We are worlds apart from him.
>
>===
>
>She is your daughter, not Sheldon's and I didn't for one second mix you up!

Could be both their daughter. There's a lot going on in the navy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 2:36 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better
>>> result.
>>> For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
>> high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
>> noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.
>>
>> I'm peeking over what to start for the weekend cookery and thinking of
>> a diced tomato based soup with dried beans and zuccini. I have some
>> leftover pork and rice based meatloaf that would fit in nicely. The
>> flavors would work well with aniseed
>>
>> I have to keep it low-cal as well as our daughter is going into the
>> Navy but we have to trim her a little and get her better at running
>> and such. She was 8lbs over the limit when we made the initial visit
>> 4 weeks ago and now shes 1.5lbs over the limit and working out every
>> day.
>>
>> Her aim right now is 6 days a week she has 300 calories per meal, plus
>> 200 in 'snacks'. One day a week she gets to 'cheat' with a 600
>> calorie meal paired to 2 300 calorie ones and 200 in snacks. It's
>> working fine obviously.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Lovely, following in your footsteps eh) I wish her good luck

> And her fathers as well with the Navy! Please don't mix us with
> Sheldon. We are worlds apart from him.

Huge difference. Sheldon was in the MAN'S Navy. Seas were rougher back
then too, the waves were at least 40 feet on a calm day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>>> vegetable.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>> has sugar added at all.

> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
> retain color)."
>
> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>
> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!

You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient€”right behind
tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
>>> more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
>>> Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> vegetable.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
> has sugar added at all.

Lack of salt?! Their tomato soup contains 20% of the maximum daily value.
Their vegetarian vegetable contains over 25% of the maximum recommended
daily value. They also have added HFCS. Who needs that in soup??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 21:23:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:

>>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>>> has sugar added at all.

>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>> retain color)."
>>
>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>>
>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>

>You are misinformed. Campbell’s tomato soup doesn’t contain sugar, it
>contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient—right behind
>tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Doesn't it say sugar as the 3rd ingredient after water and tomato
puree?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-02-16 1:18 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> > > Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
> > > more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
> > > Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

> > Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
> > vegetable.

> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-16 4:56 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>>> vegetable.

>> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
>> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
>> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
>> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
>> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

> Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole.

In his defense, I don't think he can help it.

> Campbells old fashioned
> vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:56:23 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> > vegetable.

>> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
>> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
>> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
>> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
>> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

>Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
>vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

You said "Neither has sugar added at all." Neither. Wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 2:32:25 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
> > > more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
> > > Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

> > Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
> > vegetable.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
> has sugar added at all.

WTF? The second ingredient in Campbell's tomato is high-fructose corn
syrup. But you're right about the VV.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Bruce > wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 13:32:16 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>>> has sugar added at all.

>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>> retain color)."
>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>

> You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient€”right behind
> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

Perhaps not misinformed.
Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>>> retain color)."
>>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>>

>> You are misinformed. Campbell’s tomato soup doesn’t contain sugar, it
>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient—right behind
>> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
>>

>Perhaps not misinformed.
>Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

I got it from he

<http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-16 6:29 p.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:

>> You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECONDÂ* ingredient€”right behind
>> tomato purée.Â* That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
>>

> Perhaps not misinformed.
> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

When I was a kid my friend's father was a VP at Canada Dry and we had an
almost endless supply of the stuff. As a kid, I never cared much for
Coke. Despite almost never drinking it at home, I had some when I was in
France. It was delicious, much better than the Coke I was used to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
>> Perhaps not misinformed.
>> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

> I got it from he
>
> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

UK ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder

US ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate

Australia ingredient list -
Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 21:23:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> Bruce > wrote:

>>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>>> retain color)."
>>>
>>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>>>
>>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>>

>> You are misinformed. CampbellÂ’s tomato soup doesnÂ’t contain sugar, it
>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient—right behind
>> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

> Doesn't it say sugar as the 3rd ingredient after water and tomato
> puree?

No, it says €œTomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup,
Wheat Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate.€

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> You are misinformed. CampbellÂ’s tomato soup doesnÂ’t contain sugar, it
>>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient—right behind
>>> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
>>>

>> Perhaps not misinformed.
>> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

> I got it from he
>
> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

I got mine direst from Campbells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
>>> Perhaps not misinformed.
>>> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>>> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>>> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>>> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

>> I got it from he
>>
>> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>
>>

> UK ingredient list -
> Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
> Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
> Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder
>
> US ingredient list -
> Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
> Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
> Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
> (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate
>
> Australia ingredient list -
> Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
> Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
> Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
Phosphate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/16/2019 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> UK ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch,
>> Cream, Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract,
>> Citric Acid, Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder
>>
>> US ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
>> Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
>> Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
>> (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate
>>
>> Australia ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
>> Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
>> Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices
>>

> We're fortunate here.Â* Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
> Phosphate.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
> Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
> or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
> potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
> fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
> phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
> fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
> escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

Yummy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 00:10:45 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps not misinformed.
>>> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>>> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>>> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>>> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

>> I got it from he
>>
>> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>
>>

>I got mine direst from Campbell’s.

I guess cshenk got hers from the fairies as usual.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:58:49 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
>>> Perhaps not misinformed.
>>> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>>> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>>> sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>>> versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

>> I got it from he
>>
>> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>
>>

>UK ingredient list -
>Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
>Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
>Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder
>
>US ingredient list -
>Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
>Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
>Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
>(Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate
>
>Australia ingredient list -
>Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
>Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
>Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices

To each their own science project.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> cheese, >>some >>>> guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with some
>> salad >>that was asst. >>>> vegetables with olives, Feta cheese and
>> pecans. >>Added a goodly drizzle >> of >>>> honey on top. There may
>> have been >>more things he added that I left out >>>> but I

>> can. >>>>> It sound like he feels right at home.

>> > There's some very innovative solutions used with RV's that he might
>> > have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric hot
>> > water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a small tub
>> > type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you just fill
>> > with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of them for a
>> > camper friend of mine.

>> Nope. I'm not adding anything there. He can always stay in this house
>> if he wants to. The problem with water is, there is no way to drain
>> it back out. Not like an RV. It's a building that won't move.

> Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
> that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all day to
take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real shower, sink and
toilet in the house and the house is very close to the back house.

I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to and he
has a water dispenser for drinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called
>> > more high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them.
>> > Haven't noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> vegetable.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
> has sugar added at all.

Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 21:23:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>>Bruce > wrote:

>>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>>> retain color)."
>>>
>>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>>>
>>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>>

>>You are misinformed. Campbell's tomato soup doesn't contain sugar, it
>>contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient-right behind
>>tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

> Doesn't it say sugar as the 3rd ingredient after water and tomato
> puree?

Nope.

https://www.campbells.com/campbell-s...d/tomato-soup/

These days, in this country, HFCS is used whenever possible instead of
sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2019 4:23 PM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Bruce > wrote:
>>> Campbell's Soup, Tomato:
>>> "water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste), sugar, bleached enriched
>>> flour (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
>>> riboflavin, folic acid), wheat flour, contains less than 1% of: dried
>>> dairy blend (whey, calcium caseinate), salt, modified food starch,
>>> butter (milk), vegetable oil (corn, cottonseed, canola and/or
>>> soybean), citric acid, flavoring and ascorbic acid (added to help
>>> retain color)."
>>> Sugar is the 3rd ingredient.
>>> We should organise a Misinformation Contest. In the left corner
>>> CSHENK, in the right corner SHELDON. It's gonna be close!
>>>

>> You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient€”right behind
>> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
>>

> Perhaps not misinformed.
> Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
> different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane sugar
> in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US versions of
> Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

True. I remember a debate about McDonald's fry ingredients. The US had
different ones than in Canada.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> You are misinformed. Campbell's tomato soup doesn't contain sugar, it
>>> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient-right
>>> behind
>>> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
>>>

>>Perhaps not misinformed.
>>Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>>different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>>sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>>versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

> I got it from he
>
> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:38:23 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>>Perhaps not misinformed.
>>>Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
>>>different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
>>>sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
>>>versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

>> I got it from he
>>
>> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

>Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

In what way is that better or worse?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> cshenk > wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>>> vegetable.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>> has sugar added at all.
>>

> Lack of salt?! Their tomato soup contains 20% of the maximum daily value.
> Their vegetarian vegetable contains over 25% of the maximum recommended
> daily value. They also have added HFCS. Who needs that in soup??

Nobody.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 00:10:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> cshenk > wrote:

>>> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
>>> has sugar added at all.
>>>

>> Lack of salt?! Their tomato soup contains 20% of the maximum daily value.
>> Their vegetarian vegetable contains over 25% of the maximum recommended
>> daily value. They also have added HFCS. Who needs that in soup??

>Nobody.

It's how prefab food makes people sick and overweight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 2/16/2019 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> UK ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
>> Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
>> Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder
>>
>> US ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
>> Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
>> Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
>> (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate
>>
>> Australia ingredient list -
>> Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
>> Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
>> Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices
>>

> We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
> Phosphate.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
> Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP, or
> monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of potassium and
> the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a fertilizer, a food
> additive and a fungicide. It is a source of phosphorus and potassium. It
> is also a buffering agent. When used in fertilizer mixtures with urea and
> ammonium phosphates, it minimizes escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity
> at a relatively low level.

Yummy.

===

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> > vegetable.

>> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
>> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
>> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
>> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
>> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

> Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
> vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

He said Vegetarian Vegetable. Not sure where he looked but the Canadian
version does contain sugar. Ours doesn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 15:56:23 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I wonder the sweetness comes from tomato paste. We reheated some
>>> leftover pasta sauce the other day. We had just got our new fridge
>>> and had cleaned out the freezer. There had been two half cans of
>>> tomato paste in there and I added one of them to the sauce. It was
>>> not just a richer tomato flavour to the sauce. It was much sweeter.

>>Dunno but Bruce as usual is being an asshole. Campbells old fashioned
>>vegetable: No added sugar (no hiddent HFCS).

> You said "Neither has sugar added at all." Neither. Wrong.

Our version doesn't. The Canadian one does. Can't speak for others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 6:31:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

> >> You are misinformed. Campbells tomato soup doesnt contain sugar, it
> >> contains high fructose corn syrup, as the SECOND ingredient€”right behind
> >> tomato purée. That the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar per serving.
> >>

> >Perhaps not misinformed.
> >Many businesses with international distribution, vary their formulas for
> >different countries - like Coca Cola, with HFCS in the US, but cane
> >sugar in Mexico. I know that there are differences in the UK and US
> >versions of Campbell's, and that is likely the case for Australia, too.

> I got it from he
>
> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>

I got it from the label on the can in my pantry.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 7:26:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/16/2019 6:58 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 2/16/2019 6:31 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:29:20 -0500, S Viemeister
> >>
> >> I got it from he
> >>
> >> <http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=FD74E9A6-18D4-11E1-8977-1231380C180E>
> >>

> > UK ingredient list -
> > Tomato Puree (78%), Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Modified Maize Starch, Cream,
> > Salt, Whey Powder, Wheatflour, Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Citric Acid,
> > Natural Flavouring, Milk Proteins, Onion Powder
> >
> > US ingredient list -
> > Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Wheat
> > Flour, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Salt, Potassium Chloride,
> > Flavoring, Citric Acid, Lower Sodium Natural Sea Salt, Ascorbic Acid
> > (Vitamin C), Monopotassium Phosphate
> >
> > Australia ingredient list -
> > Tomato Puree (84%) Sugar Onions Modified Tapioca Starch (e1442) Salt
> > Garlic Acidity Regulator (sodium Bicarbonate) Natural Flavours
> > Thickener(xanthan Gum) Natural Food Colour (paprika Extract) Herbs Spices
> >

> We're fortunate here. Those others miss out on the Monopotassium
> Phosphate.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopotassium_phosphate
> Monopotassium phosphate, MKP, (also potassium dihydrogenphosphate, KDP,
> or monobasic potassium phosphate), KH2PO4, is a soluble salt of
> potassium and the dihydrogen phosphate ion which is used as a
> fertilizer, a food additive and a fungicide. It is a source of
> phosphorus and potassium. It is also a buffering agent. When used in
> fertilizer mixtures with urea and ammonium phosphates, it minimizes
> escape of ammonia by keeping the acidity at a relatively low level.

It probably tastes better than bicarbonate of soda, which many people
add to their homemade tomato-based recipes to control the acid level.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/17/2019 3:05 AM, Bruce wrote:

>> Campbell's hasn't used sugar in this country for years. Only HFCS.

> In what way is that better or worse?

I believe it saves them money. Accountants, rather than chefs, make
decisions like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
>> vegetable.

> Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
> has sugar added at all.

the easiest tomato soup from almost scratch is
a tiny can of tomato paste (which if you get a
decent brand is tomato only). then you can add
whatever spices and thickeners you want (or none
at all) and adjust the other liquids to taste.

some people may taste the umami from tomatoes
as sweet too (not all people are alike in how
they taste/smell things).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >>cheese, >>some >>>> guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with

> some >>salad >>that was asst. >>>> vegetables with olives, Feta
> cheese and >>pecans. >>Added a goodly drizzle >> of >>>> honey on
> top. There may >>have been >>more things he added that I left out

> appetite and had to >>>>keep >>>> looking

> >>can. >>>>> It sound like he feels right at home.

> main >>> > line to get the water back out. And no, he doesn't pay
> rent. He >>> > can stay in that building but I can't legally rent it.
> Why is >>> > everyone here all up in my business?

> might >>> have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric
> hot >>> water heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a
> small tub >>> type bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you
> just fill >>> with water then turn it on). I was looking at some of
> them for a >>> camper friend of mine.
> > >
> > > Nope. I'm not adding anything there. He can always stay in this
> > > house if he wants to. The problem with water is, there is no way
> > > to drain it back out. Not like an RV. It's a building that won't
> > > move.

> > Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
> > that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.

> You expect a person who does work that gets him dirty and sweaty all
> day to take a 5 gallon shower? I don't think so. There's a real
> shower, sink and toilet in the house and the house is very close to
> the back house.
>
> I do buy a lot of cheap baby wipes so he can use those if he needs to
> and he has a water dispenser for drinking.

Julie, again, we dove off and were talking RV's. No one ASKED you to
add ANYTHING. The only time he comes into play, is that he might add
such a type of thing himself for occasional use, after that, it's all
RV talk and some of the neat things people may consider when camping.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> big >>> > > > potful and freeze portions... would be a much better
> product >>> > > > and would cost far less.

> better >>> > > can opener.

> better >>> > result.

> > > Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian
> > > vegetable.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there?
> > Neither has sugar added at all.

> Nope. It's sickeningly sweet. Not likely sugar. More likely HFCS.

Humm, ok apparently campbells tomato adds sugar? LOL, didn't know
that. The Vegetarian Veggie one I have has no sugar added at all.