General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,191
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 00:17:53 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:27:51 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.


And you said he's a foodie!?!?!?! He's no foodie and he's playing
you if he's asking you to do shit like that.


No. I said my BF was a foodie. Actually he still is. He's just not my BF any
more. New BF is also a foodie. But his tastes and mine are not the same when
it comes to food.

The gardener did love the Pad Thai that I made the other day. Said it was
way better than what I got at Costco.


Look at Julie, always trying to insert those covert tidbits of her
wannabe personal life into unrelated conversations. You just forgot
to say. "But for reasons I'm not going to discuss that here and
now".

And no, you said that of your "gardener". You just wanted to
mention you "boyfriends" tonight.

-sw

  #47 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.

I had some Beef-A-Roni last night. It tasted pretty much like I expected and it sure hit the spot - that would be because I was experiencing hunger.

  #48 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10,858
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.


I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.
  #49 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.


I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.


As we all know, it can't happen here.
  #50 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10,858
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:33:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.


I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.


As we all know, it can't happen here.


I don't think it can.


  #51 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,033
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

dsi1 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.


I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.


As we all know, it can't happen here.


Because of all the pineapples? Or is it because of all the preachers?


  #52 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10,858
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:59:18 -0600, Hank Rogers
wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.

I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.


As we all know, it can't happen here.


Because of all the pineapples? Or is it because of all the preachers?


I thought 'here' meant the US. But if it means Hawaii, even more so.
If there was ever a famine in Hawaii, food would be brought in from
the mainland.
  #53 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,033
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:59:18 -0600, Hank Rogers
wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.

I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.

As we all know, it can't happen here.


Because of all the pineapples? Or is it because of all the preachers?


I thought 'here' meant the US. But if it means Hawaii, even more so.
If there was ever a famine in Hawaii, food would be brought in from
the mainland.


Hawaii (AKA the rock) isn't really part of the US, according to dsi

And, don't biblical famines always extend to all areas where god gets
off by killing people?




  #54 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10,858
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:18:42 -0600, Hank Rogers
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 15:59:18 -0600, Hank Rogers
wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:24:05 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:09:03 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:24:58 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:


Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.


My granddaughter is a picky eater that's never experienced hunger but that just means that she's like the typical rfc poster.

I'm beginning to think you can't wait for that biblical famine you
always predict.

As we all know, it can't happen here.


Because of all the pineapples? Or is it because of all the preachers?


I thought 'here' meant the US. But if it means Hawaii, even more so.
If there was ever a famine in Hawaii, food would be brought in from
the mainland.


Hawaii (AKA the rock) isn't really part of the US, according to dsi


Then Asians will have to help them. Although Asians don't tend to give
a shit about other people.

And, don't biblical famines always extend to all areas where god gets
off by killing people?


If it hits the entire US, we can always fly in cabbages from Australia
and Europe.
  #55 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:34:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:33:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1

As we all know, it can't happen here.


I don't think it can.


Of course you don't. That's how "it can't happen here" works. As far you believing that I think people should be humbled for their disrespect of foods, that's just your prejudiced, egocentric, desires, talking.

My message has always been that we should enjoy ourselves and be thankful for what we got because all this could be taken away from us at any time.

OTOH, as we all know, it can't happen here.


  #56 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 10,858
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:48:32 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:34:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:33:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1

As we all know, it can't happen here.


I don't think it can.


Of course you don't. That's how "it can't happen here" works. As far you believing that I think people should be humbled for their disrespect of foods, that's just your prejudiced, egocentric, desires, talking.

My message has always been that we should enjoy ourselves and be thankful for what we got because all this could be taken away from us at any time.

OTOH, as we all know, it can't happen here.


Each of us could be dead tomorrow, so carpe diem, yes, but a famine?
How? A locust swarm of continental proportions? An earthquake that
swallows half the continent? Something viral that attacks all food? I
don't see it.
  #57 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 12:54:53 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:48:32 -0800 (PST), dsi1
wrote:

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 11:34:23 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:33:27 -0800 (PST), dsi1

As we all know, it can't happen here.

I don't think it can.


Of course you don't. That's how "it can't happen here" works. As far you believing that I think people should be humbled for their disrespect of foods, that's just your prejudiced, egocentric, desires, talking.

My message has always been that we should enjoy ourselves and be thankful for what we got because all this could be taken away from us at any time.

OTOH, as we all know, it can't happen here.


Each of us could be dead tomorrow, so carpe diem, yes, but a famine?
How? A locust swarm of continental proportions? An earthquake that
swallows half the continent? Something viral that attacks all food? I
don't see it.


Yes, I know you don't see it. As we all know, if you can't see it, it doesn't exist.
  #58 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 01:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,043
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback


"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote:
All those Chef RD cans basically have the same
sauce and meat, just the pasta is different with
different mouth feel. Difference in taste is very
minimal.


To me, the Beefaroni is more mushy and has a weird meat texture. The meat
isn't in chunks. Just very tiny bits.


Again, I think it's all the same ingredients/recipe, just with
different pasta and texture. None of their meat is in "chunks."
It's all ground very fine unless you are talking about the
ravioli where a good cube of ground is inside and all alone.

If you somewhat like the ravioli, skip the small ones and buy
those cans of large over-sized raviolis. Again, same ingredients
but I do like the texture difference with each bite.


The overstuffed is what I usually buy. Some stores don't carry it. But I
only buy the beef. Not the sausage.

  #59 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 01:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,043
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback


"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
...
Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see
how
that comes out.

Does that sound good to you? Not so much to me.
Before you bother to make a loaf, why not let him try
a rye bread toast with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on.


It really is good! Smelled wonderful while baking and I tried a bite when
it
was done. Will be good for breakfast!


Did you also add sugar to that cinnamon rye bread dough?
I've got rye bread. I might try a bit of cinnamon on a corner
just to see how it tastes.


The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar. That's what I used.

  #60 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 44,043
Default Chef Boyardee Throwback


"jmcquown" wrote in message
...
On 2/10/2019 5:23 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni.


Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it!
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?


Geez Julie-o, you didn't like it? lol
Why is NOBODY here surprised?

Anyway, I always keep 2-3 cans in my pantry just as
easy food for hurricane season or just lazy nights.
I ate the last one about month ago so actually had
them on my grocery list for the next trip.

Never even heard about the Throwback kind so I looked it up.
Supposedly back to the old days when it was made much better or
so. Well I went to the store and bought 2 cans yesterday:
- the regular kind for 99 cents
- the new Throwback kind for $1.50

OK so next time I'm in the mood I'm going to open both cans and
have a side-by-side comparison. The Throwback cost 50% more so it
should taste much better. I'll just see about that though.

Sounds like they're trying to beef up business. I can't imagine paying
more for something called Throwback. If it was so much better in the old
days why did they change it? Gotta love marketing!

At any rate, it's still just canned pasta in sauce. If/when you do your
taste test I'd be interested in hearing the results. I'm not going to
watch a youtube video about it.


The claim is that there is more meat in the old style and it's Angus beef.
Also no high fructose corn syrup and the sauce it much thicker. A person who
did a comparison thought there was far too much garlic in the old style.
That could be it. I can handle a small amount of garlic but not too much.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's Your Favorite Chef Boyardee? james mathew General Cooking 0 08-10-2018 03:12 PM
Did you know that Chef Boyardee was a real person? sf[_9_] General Cooking 146 09-12-2014 03:28 PM
crust mix -Chef Boyardee clone?? BiggieP Recipes (moderated) 0 29-03-2009 08:01 AM
Macho Chef - Learn how Macho Chef dealth with the evil kitchen fly from Hades Android General Cooking 0 30-11-2006 02:32 PM
Alzheimers and Chef Boyardee Not Available General Cooking 15 12-02-2004 11:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017