Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 00:53:01 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 8:08:45 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni.
>> > They
>> > are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is because
>> > they have changed the recipes over the years.
>> >
>> > For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I remember
>> > the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember
>> > showing
>> > Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The ravioli
>> > that
>> > is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.
>> >
>> > After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
>> > course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
>> > there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it with no
>> > egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.
>> >
>> > Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
>> > $1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
>> > Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.
>> >
>> > I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite honestly,
>> > can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it
>> > with
>> > parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.
>> >
>> > Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

>> I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that
>> you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied
>> for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of
>> Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said
>> "Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> That stuff truly is disgusting!

>I'd eat it in a pinch. There's a lot of things more disgusting than some mushy noodles in an overly sweet tomato-like sauce.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...MnYa933mOYuBum

When for just me and I don't feel like taking the time to boil a pot
of water and then the time to cook pasta I'd cook a packet or two of
ramen noodles sans seasoning, plop the noodles in a sieve to drain and
then plop the noodles into a bowl of homemade pasta sauce that was
just nuked... far better than any canned pasta and costs a lot less...
I buy ramen in those large cartons of like 24 packets, comes out to
12-14 cents per. I'll usually give it a grate of cheese, and a few
sheds of left over meat found in the fridge. Ramen Italiano is cheap,
quick, and tasty. Years ago I tried canned cheese ravioli, blech!
Canned pasta is slippery slime and the sauce is gack.