Old 15-02-2019, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:15:15 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

He took a bowl, put cubes of Swiss cheese in it, cottage cheese,

some guacamole, added some soup. Topped that with some salad
that was asst. vegetables with olives, Feta cheese and pecans.
Added a goodly drizzle of honey on top. There may have been
more things he added that I left out but I
hadn't eaten yet. I didn't want to lose my appetite and had to

keep looking
away. Does that sound like a foodie to you?

It sounds like somebody using up everything you buy while he can.
It sound like he feels right at home.

=-sw

He should feel right at home. He LIVES here!

Probably inside now? You have snow and your back house has no
heat or plumbing. I remember. So if he lives in your house or
property, is he paying some kind of rent? He should be.

It has heat. Just no way to get water from there. I was told we
could put a hose type faucet there but it's too far from the main
line to get the water back out. And no, he doesn't pay rent. He can
stay in that building but I can't legally rent it. Why is everyone
here all up in my business?

There's some very innovative solutions used with RV's that he might
have added for basic plumbing. Even small 5gallon electric hot water
heaters that aren't very expensive and can handle a small tub type
bath (some run off liquid propane bottles and you just fill with
water then turn it on). I was looking at some of them for a camper
friend of mine.

==

Yes, we use something similar with ours.

Works very well!

Yup! My friends did end up ordering one I suggested and are awaiting
arrival. It wasn't too much money at all and is easy for them to take
with them. I think 200$ is a decent price. Anyways, these would be
things he'd add (then take with him when he moves). Has a sort of
spigot so if you have a hose to attach, it will pump out hot water at
the same rate as fed in (LP bottle).

They plan to add an attachment they can hang it from, to the top back
of the RV so it can be used with an 'out door shower' they put together
with PVC pipe. They already had the out door shower but said heating
some water from RV power (their level of it) was a PITA.

BTW, it's a really basic 'RV' so no, doesn't have a shower inside.
What they describe of the toilet is basically clumping cat litter
(grin). They enjoy driving off on long weekends and don't need much.

It interesed me to look up some possible things they might find useful
in the small space. Made my wandering foot happy to consider getting
something like that going.

Old 15-02-2019, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Nope. I'm not adding anything there. He can always stay in this house
if he wants to. The problem with water is, there is no way to drain
it back out. Not like an RV. It's a building that won't move.

Julie, I was talking RV's and at 5 gallons, he'd just dump the water
that had no more than a little ivory soap or something added.
Old 15-02-2019, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:

The claim is that there is more meat in the old style and it's
Angus beef. Also no high fructose corn syrup and the sauce is much
thicker. A person who did a comparison thought there was far too
much garlic in the old style. That could be it. I can handle a
small amount of garlic but not too much.

OK Julie. I did the side by side comparison yesterday. I usually
buy the large ravoli or the lasagna but for this comparison I
bought Beefaroni only because that was the only one in store
with both versions.

Regular version is very watery (soupy). Way much water in it.
Beef is hardly recognizable. No garlicy taste worth mentioning.
Put this on your plate and it will run over the entire plate.

Throwback version is thick, no running from the pile. You can
pile it up and it stays piled up. Lots more beef and a much
better flavor all around. It's definitely a huge improvement in
texture and taste.

IMO, this 'Throwback' version is worth every extra penny compared
to the regular stuff. If that was their original recipe years
ago, shame on them for dumbing it down just to save pennies since
then.

I do buy 3-4 cans per year and I WILL buy the Throwback from now
on.

Humm! I only recall the sausage sort in that. I shall look again as
we do keep some of this type of food in the cans here. It's not just
store supplies, sometimes it's a fast fix doctored up with a bit of
onion and garlic.
Old 15-02-2019, 09:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Oh I think you would enjoy) Ours has a shower inside and guess what??? I
have my kitchen lol It is supposed to be a bedroom but ... heck you know
me)))

Old 15-02-2019, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy that
doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful and freeze
portions... would be a much better product and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff than open a little can probably need to get themselves a better can opener.

OTOH, if you're interested in recreating Boyardee pasta, first start by boiling macaroni until it's done and then continue boiling for about 10 minutes more. Mix in a good amount of Filipino spaghetti sauce and add a generous amount of American cheese. If you like, you can add a little bit of browned hamburger meat. When the cheese is melted, mix into the sauce. Dish out into little bowls and toss in the general direction of your little darlings while telling them to STFU and eat. Afterwards, they can have Popsicles.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f7a...d57ad15.jp eg

Old 16-02-2019, 11:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy that
doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful and freeze
portions... would be a much better product and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff than open a little can probably need to get themselves a better can opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better result.

For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 16-02-2019, 02:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I saw a cute rental that might be fun. I liked the type where it
has it's own truck and isn't much more than a 2 person thing. I can
work with a cube fridge and 1 burner. Off looking at some of the
mini-showers.
Old 16-02-2019, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy
that doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful
and freeze portions... would be a much better product and would
cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff than
open a little can probably need to get themselves a better can
opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better
result.
For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Mostly the canned and jarred sauces (especially in the so called more
high scale brands) add a lot of sugar and/or salt to them. Haven't
noted a sweet soup yet but there probably are some.

I'm peeking over what to start for the weekend cookery and thinking of
a diced tomato based soup with dried beans and zuccini. I have some
leftover pork and rice based meatloaf that would fit in nicely. The
flavors would work well with aniseed

I have to keep it low-cal as well as our daughter is going into the
Navy but we have to trim her a little and get her better at running and
such. She was 8lbs over the limit when we made the initial visit 4
weeks ago and now shes 1.5lbs over the limit and working out every day.

Her aim right now is 6 days a week she has 300 calories per meal, plus
200 in 'snacks'. One day a week she gets to 'cheat' with a 600 calorie
meal paired to 2 300 calorie ones and 200 in snacks. It's working fine
obviously.
Old 16-02-2019, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 03:17:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:20:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 6:02:28 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

Yoose all should be embarrassed to advertise that yoose all buy that
doodoo... it's very easy to make your own by the big potful and freeze
portions... would be a much better product and would cost far less.

People that think it's easier to cook up a giant pot of stuff than open a little can probably need to get themselves a better can opener.

Not easier than a can, but not difficult. And a much, much better result.

For me, canned and jarred sauces and soups are much too sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Perhaps they've improved some but the last time I tried jarred pasta
sauce has to be twenty years ago and it was awful. lacked any
semblance to Italian flavor and barely tasted of tomato, was just red
glop.

I find preparing a large pot (12 qts) of pasta sauce very easy,
practically cooks itself. I begin by browning a few shoulder pork
chops and/or saw-seege. Then toss in a couple large diced onions;
these days I prefer sweet onions. When the onion softens but not
browned add a full head of minced garlic... I much prefer minced, no
garlic press sludge. Then add ten cans of crushed tomatoes, a couple
three bay leaves, and a Tbls Italian herbs. Put to a slow simmer and
cook about an hour. Ladle into pint and quart containers. I do this
in winter so place in my garage to cool, then into the freezer.
Sometimes I change up the flavor by adding bell pepper, fennel seeds,
a bit of hot pepper flakes, whatever. Mange!
Old 16-02-2019, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Campbell's tomato soup is horribly sweet. So's the vegetarian vegetable.

Cindy Hamilton

Old 16-02-2019, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Good luck) We keep ours on a farm in Yorkshire and we go down whenever we
want Back in the day we used to travel with it, but these days we are
more then happy on the farm

btw our shower is in the same tiny (room?) with the toilet. We just have to
shut a door to close off the toilet itself and the shower is on the wall.

Do let me know what you find and if it is good for you)

Old 16-02-2019, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Lovely, following in your footsteps eh) I wish her good luck

Old 16-02-2019, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure we will do more than maybe rent one! Fun idea though!
Carol
Old 16-02-2019, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Umm, might you be interpreting lack of salt as 'sweet' there? Neither
has sugar added at all.
Old 16-02-2019, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

And her fathers as well with the Navy! Please don't mix us with
Sheldon. We are worlds apart from him.