Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni.
> They
> are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is because
> they have changed the recipes over the years.
>
> For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I remember
> the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember
> showing
> Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The ravioli
> that
> is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.
>
> After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
> course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
> there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it with no
> egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.
>
> Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
> $1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
> Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.
>
> I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite honestly,
> can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown it
> with
> parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.
>
> Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can that
you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their yaps occupied
for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store today and saw a can of
Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and she said
"Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!