Old 10-02-2019, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

Julie Bove wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 2/9/2019 1:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 1:44:09 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and
Beefaroni. They
are using an old recipe to make these. Not sure which recipe it is
because
they have changed the recipes over the years.

For most of my adult life, I bought nothing of that brand. But I
remember
the day that I did. Can't remember the whole story but I do remember
showing
Angela a can and telling her that was what I ate as a teen. The
ravioli that
is. Never liked Beefaroni and never tried the lasagna.

After that, I would buy a few cans when it was on sale for 88 cents. Of
course the ravioli I make is much better and even frozen is better. But
there is no egg in the canned stuff. Need to find a way to make it
with no
egg. I was given a recipe but lost it.

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it! Quite
honestly, I
can't remember what it tasted like when I was a kid but I did drown
it with
parsley and Kraft Parm. to eat it.

Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

I have not tried this product but the appeal of a cheap meal in a can
that you can shove in front of your brat's face to keep them their
yaps occupied for a short while is undeniable. I was at the store
today and saw a can of Beef-A-Roni so I bought one. I showed it to my
granddaughter and she said "Eww, that's disgusting!" Evidently, she
is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

---

That stuff truly is disgusting!

IMHO, all those Chef Boyardee canned pastas in sauce (Beef-a-Roni,
Ravioli, Spaghetti with Meatballs) are essentially the same. Only the
shape of the pasta is different.

I never tried the spaghetti with meatballs. Not a fan of meatballs. To
me the Beefaroni was different. Seemed kind of chalky or something.

I bet the gardener heated it up and served it to yoose.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" wrote in message

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:27:51 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

And you said he's a foodie!?!?!?! He's no foodie and he's playing
you if he's asking you to do shit like that.

-sw
Old 10-02-2019, 08:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 21:27:51 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

And you said he's a foodie!?!?!?! He's no foodie and he's playing
you if he's asking you to do shit like that.

No. I said my BF was a foodie. Actually he still is. He's just not my BF any
more. New BF is also a foodie. But his tastes and mine are not the same when
it comes to food.

The gardener did love the Pad Thai that I made the other day. Said it was
way better than what I got at Costco.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

Anyone try these products? Canned beef ravioli, lasagna and Beefaroni.

Anyhoo... I ordered three cans of the Throwback ravioli from Amazon for
$1.58 each. I believe this is a marked down price as I had seen the
Beefaroni and lasagna in a few brick and mortar stores for around $3.

I tried the stuff last night and flat out didn't like it!
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

Geez Julie-o, you didn't like it? lol
Why is NOBODY here surprised?

Anyway, I always keep 2-3 cans in my pantry just as
easy food for hurricane season or just lazy nights.
I ate the last one about month ago so actually had
them on my grocery list for the next trip.

Never even heard about the Throwback kind so I looked it up.
Supposedly back to the old days when it was made much better or
so. Well I went to the store and bought 2 cans yesterday:
- the regular kind for 99 cents
- the new Throwback kind for $1.50

OK so next time I'm in the mood I'm going to open both cans and
have a side-by-side comparison. The Throwback cost 50% more so it
should taste much better. I'll just see about that though.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Julie Bove wrote:
Anyone tried the Throwback stuff?

Chef Boyardee Throwup

LOL Good one Cindy. That was a funny word-change.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

I was at the store today and saw a can of Beef-A-Roni
so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and
she said "Eww, that's disgusting!"
Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.

All those Chef RD cans basically have the same
sauce and meat, just the pasta is different with
different mouth feel. Difference in taste is very
minimal.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

IMHO, all those Chef Boyardee canned pastas in sauce (Beef-a-Roni,
Ravioli, Spaghetti with Meatballs) are essentially the same. Only the
shape of the pasta is different.

I agree with you.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

Does that sound good to you? Not so much to me.
Before you bother to make a loaf, why not let him try
a rye bread toast with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

There's a Youtube of a guy doing a comparison. He did like the Throwback but
only slightly better.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
dsi1 wrote:

I was at the store today and saw a can of Beef-A-Roni
so I bought one. I showed it to my granddaughter and
she said "Eww, that's disgusting!"
Evidently, she is familiar with Beef-A-Roni.

Or just a picky eater that's never experienced hunger.

All those Chef RD cans basically have the same
sauce and meat, just the pasta is different with
different mouth feel. Difference in taste is very
minimal.

To me, the Beefaroni is more mushy and has a weird meat texture. The meat
isn't in chunks. Just very tiny bits.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

Does that sound good to you? Not so much to me.
Before you bother to make a loaf, why not let him try
a rye bread toast with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on.

It really is good! Smelled wonderful while baking and I tried a bite when it
was done. Will be good for breakfast!

Old 10-02-2019, 01:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2019 5:23 AM, Gary wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

Sounds like they're trying to beef up business. I can't imagine
paying more for something called Throwback. If it was so much better in
the old days why did they change it? Gotta love marketing!

At any rate, it's still just canned pasta in sauce. If/when you do your
taste test I'd be interested in hearing the results. I'm not going to
watch a youtube video about it.

Jill
Old 10-02-2019, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message ...
Julie Bove wrote:

No but he did ask me to make rye bread with cinnamon in it. We'll see how
that comes out.

Does that sound good to you? Not so much to me.
Before you bother to make a loaf, why not let him try
a rye bread toast with cinnamon-sugar sprinkled on.

It really is good! Smelled wonderful while baking and I tried a bite when it
was done. Will be good for breakfast!

Did you also add sugar to that cinnamon rye bread dough?
I've got rye bread. I might try a bit of cinnamon on a corner
just to see how it tastes.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Gary" wrote:
All those Chef RD cans basically have the same
sauce and meat, just the pasta is different with
different mouth feel. Difference in taste is very
minimal.

To me, the Beefaroni is more mushy and has a weird meat texture. The meat
isn't in chunks. Just very tiny bits.

Again, I think it's all the same ingredients/recipe, just with
different pasta and texture. None of their meat is in "chunks."
It's all ground very fine unless you are talking about the
ravioli where a good cube of ground is inside and all alone.

If you somewhat like the ravioli, skip the small ones and buy
those cans of large over-sized raviolis. Again, same ingredients
but I do like the texture difference with each bite.