Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whipped Cream

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 7, 7:07*pm, Paul McNoob > wrote:
> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> freezer, like commercial cool whip?

No, in the refrigerator.

> I want to make it the "night
> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Better would be to adjust your morning routine so you have time to
make the whipped cream fresh. If you plan to have something as fancy
as Belgian waffles with fruit and whipped cream before work you have
to give yourselves enough time to enjoy it. So take a shorter
shower. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Paul McNoob > wrote:

> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> freezer, like commercial cool whip?

In the fridge, like cream. Which it is.

> I want to make it the "night
> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

It takes a couple of minutes. You could probably do it while the first
batch of waffles is cooking.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:43:11p, Miche told us...

> In article
> >,
> Paul McNoob > wrote:
>
>> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
>> freezer, like commercial cool whip?

> In the fridge, like cream. Which it is.
>
>> I want to make it the "night
>> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
>> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
>> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> It takes a couple of minutes. You could probably do it while the first
> batch of waffles is cooking.
>
> Miche

Assuming you are in the US, there are two choices of cream to use for
whipping. There is "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". The heavy
whipping cream produces a firmer consistency and is far more resistant to
re-liquifying. If you are in the UK, use double cream.

I use a thick Pyrex mixing bowl which retains cold better. I put the bowl
and beaters in the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before whipping the
cream. Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from the
beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula to
press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this way.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
>freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
>before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
>strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
>time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).
>
>Thanks as always
>Paul

Ooooh, ooh, oh.... I can answer that question! I've made whipped
cream the morning or night before a big party (thanks to someone on
rfc suggesting this and it worked).

Whip your cream and put it in a fine sieve (or suspend it in a coffee
filter) - whatever it takes to elevate the whipped cream above a
container to catch any drippings. Basically, the whipped cream
"weeps" and the water drops into the vessel below. Very cool.

The remaining whipped cream is just like fresh whipped so I avoid the
stress of making it between clearing up dinner dishes and serving
dessert.

Good luck!

FYI, you can always use a canister. Personally, it's my option of
choice unless I'm making whipped cream for a crowd.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

I store it in a mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge, so the moisture
can drip out overnight and the whipped cream will maintain its integrity.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > wrote in message
> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).
>
> Thanks as always
> Paul

If you use a bit of powdered sugar to sweeten it, the cornstarch in it will act as a
stabilizer so it should last until morning. If you live near a Trader Joe's, buy your
heavy whipping cream there, since it has a higher fat content than most the grocery
store offerings, which makes it more stable.
Personally, I'd stick my bowl and whisk in the freezer the night before and wake up 5
minutes early to whip it fresh though.
Cool whip is not the same as whipped cream. Heck, it isn't even a dairy product. So,
what works with cool whip will not work with whipped cream

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).
>
> Thanks as always
> Paul

I find using a bit of confectioner's sugar, which contains cornstarch,
makes it pretty stable. (I use a heaping cooking spoonful per cup of
cream.) Yes, you could refrigerate it thereafter.

Others use a bit of softened gelatin.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 11:32*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 7:07*pm, Paul McNoob > wrote:
>
> > If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> > freezer, like commercial cool whip?

> No, in the refrigerator.
>
> > I want to make it the "night
> > before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> > strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> > time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> Better would be to adjust your morning routine so you have time to
> make the whipped cream fresh. *If you plan to have something as fancy
> as Belgian waffles with fruit and whipped cream before work you have
> to give yourselves enough time to enjoy it. *So take a shorter
> shower. * *-aem

ha, any shorter of a shower and I'd have to skip the soap and water
part (only takes me 10 mins now) ;-)

Now that I know it only takes 5 mins or thereabouts to whip the cream,
morning preparation it is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 11:43*pm, Miche > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Paul McNoob > wrote:
>
> > If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> > freezer, like commercial cool whip?

> In the fridge, like cream. *Which it is.
>
> > *I want to make it the "night
> > before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> > strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> > time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> It takes a couple of minutes. *You could probably do it while the first
> batch of waffles is cooking.
>
> Miche
>
> --
> Electricians do it in three phases

Yeah, thanks Miche

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 12:29*am, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:43:11p, Miche told us...
>

> > In article
> > >,
> > *Paul McNoob > wrote:

> >> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> >> freezer, like commercial cool whip?

> > In the fridge, like cream. *Which it is.

> >> *I want to make it the "night
> >> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> >> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> >> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> > It takes a couple of minutes. *You could probably do it while the first
> > batch of waffles is cooking.

> > Miche

> Assuming you are in the US, there are two choices of cream to use for
> whipping. *There is "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". *The heavy
> whipping cream produces a firmer consistency and is far more resistant to
> re-liquifying. *If you are in the UK, use double cream. *
>
> I use a thick Pyrex mixing bowl which retains cold better. *I put the bowl
> and beaters in the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before whipping the
> cream. *Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
> before it turns to butter. *For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
> tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
> half way through whipping. *When the cream begins to separate from the
> beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. *Use a rubber spatula to
> press it down and smooth the top. *Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
> refrigerate immediately. *It will usually keep a couple of days this way..
>
> HTH
>
> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> * * *Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
> * Sure I believe in peace. Peace through *
> * * * * * * superior firepower. * * * * * *

Sounds great! Thanks Wayne

I will most likely mess up my first attempt until I experience first
hand the "beat the cream to the stage just before it turns to butter"
and "When the cream begins to separate from the beaters, that's about
the best stage to stop".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 2:57*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Paul McNoob wrote:
> > If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> > freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
> > before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> > strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> > time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> I store it in a mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge, so the moisture
> can drip out overnight and the whipped cream will maintain its integrity.
>
> Serene

That is interesting. Thanks Serene I will keep this in mind!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 5:26*am, "Nexis" > wrote:
> "Paul McNoob" > wrote in message

> > If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> > freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
> > before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> > strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> > time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> > Thanks as always
> > Paul

> If you use a bit of powdered sugar to sweeten it, the cornstarch in it will act as a
> stabilizer so it should last until morning.

ah.. interesting. Well I'll be doing it in the morning now that I know
it only takes a few mins.

> If you live near a Trader Joe's, buy your
> heavy whipping cream there, since it has a higher fat content than most the grocery
> store offerings, which makes it more stable.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make the trip.

> Personally, I'd stick my bowl and whisk in the freezer the night before and wake up 5
> minutes early to whip it fresh though.

Yeah going to do this.

> Cool whip is not the same as whipped cream. Heck, it isn't even a dairy product. So,
> what works with cool whip will not work with whipped cream
>
> kimberly

Thanks Kimberly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
On Jun 8, 12:29 am, Wayne Boatwright

.. Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
> before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
> tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
> half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from the
> beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula to
> press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
> refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this way.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I will most likely mess up my first attempt until I experience first
hand the "beat the cream to the stage just before it turns to butter"
and "When the cream begins to separate from the beaters, that's about
the best stage to stop".

I disagree with the above, I think most whipped cream is overwhipped and
over sweetened. I prefer it to be still a bit creamy, so that it mounds
very well, but doesn't hold a stiff peak like meringue. I also prefer half
the amount of sugar in recipes, so that the cream taste is still and most
importantly evident. I think you should try it both ways and decide for
yourself, but if you also like it less whipped, you are less apt to make
butter!

When you want to frost something with it, it them must be whipped stiff, of
course.

You all are going to be so glad when I am recovered and back to work!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:15:56 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>Now that I know it only takes 5 mins or thereabouts to whip the cream,
>morning preparation it is.

If you spend the entire 5 minutes whipping cream, you're going to end
up with butter. Keep an eye on it.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:18:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>On Jun 8, 2:57*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>> Paul McNoob wrote:
>> > If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
>> > freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
>> > before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
>> > strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
>> > time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

>> I store it in a mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge, so the moisture
>> can drip out overnight and the whipped cream will maintain its integrity.
>>
>> Serene

>That is interesting. Thanks Serene I will keep this in mind!

I've done it and it works.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 11:29*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
>
> > wrote:
> >If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
> >freezer, like commercial cool whip? *I want to make it the "night
> >before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
> >strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
> >time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> >Thanks as always
> >Paul

> Ooooh, ooh, oh.... I can answer that question! *I've made whipped
> cream the morning or night before a big party (thanks to someone on
> rfc suggesting this and it worked). *
>
> Whip your cream and put it in a fine sieve (or suspend it in a coffee
> filter) - whatever it takes to elevate the whipped cream above a
> container to catch any drippings. * Basically, the whipped cream
> "weeps" and the water drops into the vessel below. *Very cool.
>
> The remaining whipped cream is just like fresh whipped so I avoid the
> stress of making it between clearing up dinner dishes and serving
> dessert.
>
> Good luck!
>
> FYI, you can always use a canister. *Personally, it's my option of
> choice unless I'm making whipped cream for a crowd.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

Interesting tip- I'll have to try it- thanks!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 09 Jun 2008 06:30:04a, Giusi told us...

> "Paul McNoob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Jun 8, 12:29 am, Wayne Boatwright
>
> . Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
>> before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
>> tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
>> about half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from
>> the beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula
>> to press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap
>> and refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this
>> way.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I will most likely mess up my first attempt until I experience first
> hand the "beat the cream to the stage just before it turns to butter"
> and "When the cream begins to separate from the beaters, that's about
> the best stage to stop".
>
> I disagree with the above, I think most whipped cream is overwhipped
> and over sweetened. I prefer it to be still a bit creamy, so that it
> mounds very well, but doesn't hold a stiff peak like meringue. I also
> prefer half the amount of sugar in recipes, so that the cream taste is
> still and most importantly evident. I think you should try it both ways
> and decide for yourself, but if you also like it less whipped, you are
> less apt to make butter!
>
> When you want to frost something with it, it them must be whipped stiff,
> of course.
>
> You all are going to be so glad when I am recovered and back to work!

Guisi, I honor your disagreement because food is one of those things that
is most often dictated by one's history with it or simply by personal
preference. My opinion is based on both. Unless I want to use cream in
its liquid state, I will always whip it as stiffly as possible, just short
of making butter. I grew up with it that way, and I prefer it. :-) I most
often use whipped cream to completely top a cream pie, as one might do with
meringue, or as a filling and frosting for certain layer cakes. In both
those cases, softly whipped cream simply won't do. As to sweetening and
flavoring, I do vary that according to the particular use I have for it.
If the filling is particularly sweet, then I add no sugar at all. I also
vary flavoring based on what the whipped cream will be used with. I should
also say that softly whipped cream reminds me of Redi-Whip in the can,
which I really don't like, even when it's used as merely a last minute
dollop on a dessert or other dish.

I'll be very glad when you're fully recovered, but I always enjoy your
posts, opinions, and suggestions.

Feel better soon!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well that was easy peasy!

Per my BHG cook book I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp
sugar (though I may try less next time), and 1 tsp vanilla. Or 1/2 tsp
(i forget exactly right now).

I beat until it was creamy and formed soft peaks. It was delicious!
Put it right on top of our belgian waffles and fresh strawberries - my
1yr old seemed to like it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> wrote:

>Well that was easy peasy!
>
>Per my BHG cook book I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp
>sugar (though I may try less next time), and 1 tsp vanilla. Or 1/2 tsp
>(i forget exactly right now).
>
>I beat until it was creamy and formed soft peaks. It was delicious!
>Put it right on top of our belgian waffles and fresh strawberries - my
>1yr old seemed to like it too.

i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
things in life at such an early age. it could be costly in the long
run.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 10:10*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
>
> > wrote:
> >Well that was easy peasy!

> >Per my BHG cook book I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp
> >sugar (though I may try less next time), and 1 tsp vanilla. Or 1/2 tsp
> >(i forget exactly right now).

> >I beat until it was creamy and formed soft peaks. It was delicious!
> >Put it right on top of our belgian waffles and fresh strawberries - my
> >1yr old seemed to like it too.

> i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
> things in life at such an early age. *it could be costly in the long
> run.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I know. But he doesn't get it every morning - only about 2-3 times a
week. And besides, he does eat his wheat bread, hummus, fresh fruit,
meat, cream cheese, drinks his milk. And of course we started brushing
his teeth too.

He doesn't like scrambled or eggs over easy, at least, not every day.
Probably not at all and only if he's ravaged.

I'm also thinking about adding home fries and ham in the morning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
.120:

> I'll be very glad when you're fully recovered, but I always enjoy your
> posts, opinions, and suggestions.
>
> Feel better soon!

It would speed up your recovery if you added sugar and vanilla to your
whipped cream. Well it would at minimum, freak me out less.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in
:

> You all are going to be so glad when I am recovered and back to work!

Why?? Whatcha got, and why're off work?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
.120:

> according to the particular use I have for it. If the filling is
> particularly sweet, then I add no sugar at all.

Try Pure Icing Sugar.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> I'll be very glad when you're fully recovered, but I always enjoy your
>> posts, opinions, and suggestions.
>>
>> Feel better soon!
>>

> It would speed up your recovery if you added sugar and vanilla to your
> whipped cream. Well it would at minimum, freak me out less.

Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way-- strawberry
shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!

As the Sambuca begins to dry up, so do I. It will shortly be over for
another year, and bound to be better. This was the coldest and wettest
spring in 200 years and the pollens loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7mljF3al4ehU1
@mid.individual.net:

> As the Sambuca begins to dry up, so do I. It will shortly be over for
> another year, and bound to be better.

Sambuca???

I make it by the gallons. Mainly Black and Yellow.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7mljF3al4ehU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way-- strawberry
> shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!

I did try it your way...Once when learning to cook.

A favored childhood dessert was whipped cream on mom's homemade
bread...kinda like a open faced sandwhich...but no fries.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9AB971B5A5977hahabogus@
69.28.186.120:

> "Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7mljF3al4ehU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way--

strawberry
>> shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!
>>

> I did try it your way...Once when learning to cook.
>
> A favored childhood dessert was whipped cream on mom's homemade
> bread...kinda like a open faced sandwhich...but no fries.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Sounds like a US version of 'Fairy Bread'.

http://www.recipezaar.com/39337

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas > wrote in
.25:

> Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
>

> Sounds like a US version of 'Fairy Bread'.
>

> http://www.recipezaar.com/39337

Actually my mother was welsh and I don't live in the States.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in news:Xns9AB973646239Ahahabogus@
69.28.186.120:

> PeterLucas > wrote in
> .25:
>

>> Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!
>>

>> Sounds like a US version of 'Fairy Bread'.
>>

>> http://www.recipezaar.com/39337
>>

> Actually my mother was welsh and I don't live in the States.

Being Welsh will do it every time!!

But as I said......... "Sounds like a US version.........".

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.25...
> "Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7mljF3al4ehU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>

>> As the Sambuca begins to dry up, so do I. It will shortly be over for
>> another year, and bound to be better.

> Sambuca???
>

> I make it by the gallons. Mainly Black and Yellow.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane

The tree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "hahabogus" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> I'll be very glad when you're fully recovered, but I always enjoy your
>>> posts, opinions, and suggestions.
>>>
>>> Feel better soon!
>>>

>> It would speed up your recovery if you added sugar and vanilla to your
>> whipped cream. Well it would at minimum, freak me out less.

> Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way-- strawberry
> shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!

We use unsweetened whipped cream for almost all desserts -- we like it
better that way, and James is diabetic, so it means he isn't doubling
the sugar sources if he wants a little slice of pie with whipped cream
on it.

(James likes his whipped to within a millimeter of butter; I have a
broader range of acceptable consistencies.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7seoF3adc9cU5
@mid.individual.net:

> "PeterLucas" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> .25...
>> "Giusi" > wrote in news:6b7mljF3al4ehU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>

>>> As the Sambuca begins to dry up, so do I. It will shortly be over

for
>>> another year, and bound to be better.

>> Sambuca???
>>

>> I make it by the gallons. Mainly Black and Yellow.
>>

> The tree.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you mean the Sambuco tree.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boschianpest/2475800026/

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

The path of a warrior never deviating,
one has to become not just a part of nature
but a force of nature,
acting in accordance with the laws of the universe.
(Getsumei No Michi, the Moonlit Path)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
> > wrote:
>
>> Well that was easy peasy!
>>
>> Per my BHG cook book I used 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp
>> sugar (though I may try less next time), and 1 tsp vanilla. Or 1/2 tsp
>> (i forget exactly right now).
>>
>> I beat until it was creamy and formed soft peaks. It was delicious!
>> Put it right on top of our belgian waffles and fresh strawberries - my
>> 1yr old seemed to like it too.

> i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
> things in life at such an early age. it could be costly in the long
> run.

I couldn't disagree more. Teaching a kid what real, fresh food tastes
like is one of the most wonderful thing a parent can do, and it sets
that kid up to know how to feed a family on fresh, high-quality foods,
which promote a healthier, happier life, which is cheaper in the long run.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 10, 11:05*am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:

> > i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
> > things in life at such an early age. *it could be costly in the long
> > run.

> I couldn't disagree more. Teaching a kid what real, fresh food tastes
> like is one of the most wonderful thing a parent can do, and it sets
> that kid up to know how to feed a family on fresh, high-quality foods,
> which promote a healthier, happier life, which is cheaper in the long run.

You're not disagreeing. Blake was just giving a joking compliment for
providing "finer things.". -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jun 10, 11:05 am, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i would advise against getting the rugrat too accustomed to the finer
>>> things in life at such an early age. it could be costly in the long
>>> run.

>> I couldn't disagree more. Teaching a kid what real, fresh food tastes
>> like is one of the most wonderful thing a parent can do, and it sets
>> that kid up to know how to feed a family on fresh, high-quality foods,
>> which promote a healthier, happier life, which is cheaper in the long run.
>>

> You're not disagreeing. Blake was just giving a joking compliment for
> providing "finer things.".

:-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 15:30:04 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"Paul McNoob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>On Jun 8, 12:29 am, Wayne Boatwright
>
>. Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
>> before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
>> tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
>> half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from the
>> beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula to
>> press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
>> refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this way.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

>I will most likely mess up my first attempt until I experience first
>hand the "beat the cream to the stage just before it turns to butter"
>and "When the cream begins to separate from the beaters, that's about
>the best stage to stop".
>
>I disagree with the above, I think most whipped cream is overwhipped and
>over sweetened. I prefer it to be still a bit creamy, so that it mounds
>very well, but doesn't hold a stiff peak like meringue. I also prefer half
>the amount of sugar in recipes, so that the cream taste is still and most
>importantly evident. I think you should try it both ways and decide for
>yourself, but if you also like it less whipped, you are less apt to make
>butter!

I agree with Giusi's disagreeing ;-)
The best whipped cream I ever had was at a little French Pastry shop
off the plaza in Santa Fe New Mexico.
It was lightly whipped, creamy, had a little body and not beaten to
peaks. It was barely sweetened, if at all. This is what it looked
like.
http://i26.tinypic.com/30x7l0l.jpg

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/1
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 10:38:24a, Serene Vannoy told us...

> Giusi wrote:

>>> It would speed up your recovery if you added sugar and vanilla to your
>>> whipped cream. Well it would at minimum, freak me out less.

>> Thanks for all the encouragement, but Alan, try it my way-- strawberry
>> shortcake with undersweetened and underwhipped cream!

> We use unsweetened whipped cream for almost all desserts -- we like it
> better that way, and James is diabetic, so it means he isn't doubling
> the sugar sources if he wants a little slice of pie with whipped cream
> on it.
>
> (James likes his whipped to within a millimeter of butter; I have a
> broader range of acceptable consistencies.)
>
> Serene

I'm with James on that. Often I don't sweeten it. It just depends on how
I'm using it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 08:52:05a, PeterLucas told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> .120:
>

>> according to the particular use I have for it. If the filling is
>> particularly sweet, then I add no sugar at all.

> Try Pure Icing Sugar.

Icing sugar, or confectioner's sugar in the US, has a small amount of
cornstarch in it to keep it from clumping. I can taste it in the whipped
cream. Generally, I use what we call "superfine" sugar, which I believe is
like your caster sugar.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
NETWORK: What fishermen do when not
fishing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
6.120:

> On Tue 10 Jun 2008 08:52:05a, PeterLucas told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
>> .120:
>>

>>> according to the particular use I have for it. If the filling is
>>> particularly sweet, then I add no sugar at all.

>> Try Pure Icing Sugar.

> Icing sugar, or confectioner's sugar in the US, has a small amount of
> cornstarch in it to keep it from clumping. I can taste it in the
> whipped cream.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, will have to have a look and see what's in ours.

http://www.csrsugar.com.au/ViewProduct.aspx?id=8

100% pure icing sugar, 100% gluten free.