Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whipped Cream

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul

Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jun 7, 7:07*pm, Paul McNoob wrote:
If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip?

No, in the refrigerator.

I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Better would be to adjust your morning routine so you have time to
make the whipped cream fresh. If you plan to have something as fancy
as Belgian waffles with fruit and whipped cream before work you have
to give yourselves enough time to enjoy it. So take a shorter
shower. -aem
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
Paul McNoob wrote:

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip?

In the fridge, like cream. Which it is.

I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

It takes a couple of minutes. You could probably do it while the first
batch of waffles is cooking.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:43:11p, Miche told us...

In article
,
Paul McNoob wrote:

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip?

In the fridge, like cream. Which it is.

I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

It takes a couple of minutes. You could probably do it while the first
batch of waffles is cooking.

Miche

Assuming you are in the US, there are two choices of cream to use for
whipping. There is "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". The heavy
whipping cream produces a firmer consistency and is far more resistant to
re-liquifying. If you are in the UK, use double cream.

I use a thick Pyrex mixing bowl which retains cold better. I put the bowl
and beaters in the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before whipping the
cream. Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from the
beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula to
press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this way.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)

Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 19:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
wrote:

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul

Ooooh, ooh, oh.... I can answer that question! I've made whipped
cream the morning or night before a big party (thanks to someone on
rfc suggesting this and it worked).

Whip your cream and put it in a fine sieve (or suspend it in a coffee
filter) - whatever it takes to elevate the whipped cream above a
container to catch any drippings. Basically, the whipped cream
"weeps" and the water drops into the vessel below. Very cool.

The remaining whipped cream is just like fresh whipped so I avoid the
stress of making it between clearing up dinner dishes and serving
dessert.

Good luck!

FYI, you can always use a canister. Personally, it's my option of
choice unless I'm making whipped cream for a crowd.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

I store it in a mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge, so the moisture
can drip out overnight and the whipped cream will maintain its integrity.

Serene
Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" wrote in message
If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul

If you use a bit of powdered sugar to sweeten it, the cornstarch in it will act as a
stabilizer so it should last until morning. If you live near a Trader Joe's, buy your
heavy whipping cream there, since it has a higher fat content than most the grocery
store offerings, which makes it more stable.
Personally, I'd stick my bowl and whisk in the freezer the night before and wake up 5
minutes early to whip it fresh though.
Cool whip is not the same as whipped cream. Heck, it isn't even a dairy product. So,
what works with cool whip will not work with whipped cream

kimberly

Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul McNoob wrote:
If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul

I find using a bit of confectioner's sugar, which contains cornstarch,
makes it pretty stable. (I use a heaping cooking spoonful per cup of
cream.) Yes, you could refrigerate it thereafter.

Others use a bit of softened gelatin.

--
Jean B.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 7, 11:32*pm, aem wrote:
On Jun 7, 7:07*pm, Paul McNoob wrote:

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip?

No, in the refrigerator.

I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Better would be to adjust your morning routine so you have time to
make the whipped cream fresh. *If you plan to have something as fancy
as Belgian waffles with fruit and whipped cream before work you have
to give yourselves enough time to enjoy it. *So take a shorter
shower. * *-aem

ha, any shorter of a shower and I'd have to skip the soap and water
part (only takes me 10 mins now) ;-)

Now that I know it only takes 5 mins or thereabouts to whip the cream,
morning preparation it is.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

*Paul McNoob wrote:

[...]

Sounds great! Thanks Wayne

I will most likely mess up my first attempt until I experience first
hand the "beat the cream to the stage just before it turns to butter"
and "When the cream begins to separate from the beaters, that's about
the best stage to stop".
Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 2:57*am, Serene Vannoy wrote:
Paul McNoob wrote:
If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

I store it in a mesh strainer over a bowl in the fridge, so the moisture
can drip out overnight and the whipped cream will maintain its integrity.

Serene

That is interesting. Thanks Serene I will keep this in mind!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 8, 5:26*am, "Nexis" wrote:
"Paul McNoob" wrote in message

If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
freezer, like commercial cool whip? I want to make it the "night
before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

Thanks as always
Paul

If you use a bit of powdered sugar to sweeten it, the cornstarch in it will act as a
stabilizer so it should last until morning.

ah.. interesting. Well I'll be doing it in the morning now that I know
it only takes a few mins.

If you live near a Trader Joe's, buy your
heavy whipping cream there, since it has a higher fat content than most the grocery
store offerings, which makes it more stable.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make the trip.

Personally, I'd stick my bowl and whisk in the freezer the night before and wake up 5
minutes early to whip it fresh though.

Yeah going to do this.

Cool whip is not the same as whipped cream. Heck, it isn't even a dairy product. So,
what works with cool whip will not work with whipped cream

kimberly

Thanks Kimberly
Old 09-06-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul McNoob" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

I disagree with the above, I think most whipped cream is overwhipped and
over sweetened. I prefer it to be still a bit creamy, so that it mounds
very well, but doesn't hold a stiff peak like meringue. I also prefer half
the amount of sugar in recipes, so that the cream taste is still and most
importantly evident. I think you should try it both ways and decide for
yourself, but if you also like it less whipped, you are less apt to make
butter!

When you want to frost something with it, it them must be whipped stiff, of
course.

You all are going to be so glad when I am recovered and back to work!

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 06:15:56 -0700 (PDT), Paul McNoob
wrote:

Now that I know it only takes 5 mins or thereabouts to whip the cream,
morning preparation it is.

If you spend the entire 5 minutes whipping cream, you're going to end
up with butter. Keep an eye on it.