Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Whipped Cream

On Sat 07 Jun 2008 08:43:11p, Miche told us...

> In article
> >,
> Paul McNoob > wrote:
>
>> If I were to make my own whipped cream, how do I store it ? In the
>> freezer, like commercial cool whip?

> In the fridge, like cream. Which it is.
>
>> I want to make it the "night
>> before" so that we can have it in the morning before work with
>> strawberries or blueberries over belgian waffles. I don't have the
>> time in the morning to make it fresh (nor the waffle batter).

> It takes a couple of minutes. You could probably do it while the first
> batch of waffles is cooking.
>
> Miche

Assuming you are in the US, there are two choices of cream to use for
whipping. There is "whipping cream" and "heavy whipping cream". The heavy
whipping cream produces a firmer consistency and is far more resistant to
re-liquifying. If you are in the UK, use double cream.

I use a thick Pyrex mixing bowl which retains cold better. I put the bowl
and beaters in the freezer for at least 30-60 minutes before whipping the
cream. Best results are obtained if you beat the cream to the stage just
before it turns to butter. For a half-pint of cream I usually add 1
tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract about
half way through whipping. When the cream begins to separate from the
beaters, that's about the best stage to stop. Use a rubber spatula to
press it down and smooth the top. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and
refrigerate immediately. It will usually keep a couple of days this way.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 06(VI)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)