Old 31-05-2011, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream

The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 31-05-2011, 06:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote in message
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped
cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the
cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

I guess some people add milk powder too. Maybe that thickens it up.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 31-05-2011, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:15*am, "Christopher M."
wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

Old 31-05-2011, 07:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. How do you use it?

Old 31-05-2011, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

It's better, IMHO, if you do what the OP did - make pudding per package
directions, then fold in whipped cream.

My wife and I used to do this regularly with chocolate pudding - we
thought it tasted like chocolate mousse, so we called it Chocolate Elk.
Even with instant chocolate pudding, it still tasted great.

-S-

Old 31-05-2011, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

Oh, merryb... that sounds decedent. *How do you use it?

Usually for cream puffs or eclairs...
Old 31-05-2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup
whipped cream. It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be
running to the cake store to buy that fake pastry cream anytime
soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Next time when you make instant pudding, substitute half of the milk
with heavy cream and beat well...

Cool. I'll try that. Thanks.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Old 31-05-2011, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 1:15*pm, "Christopher M."
wrote:
The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

What does that do - anything other than thicken it up? My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

N.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" ha scritto nel messaggio
My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The other day I combined 1/2 cup vanilla pudding with 1/2 cup whipped cream.
It tasted like pastry cream. Fantastic. I won't be running to the cake store
to buy that fake pastry cream anytime soon. Balls!

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Add unflavored gelatin to it and you've got Bavarian cream.

What does that do - anything other than thicken it up? *My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

N.

It allows it to set up so you can put it in a mold. Charlotte Russe
is made with Bavarian cream.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
"Nancy2" ha scritto nel messaggio
My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and never
having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. Sooooooo sad!!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 11:57*am, Goomba wrote:
Giusi wrote:
"Nancy2" ha scritto nel messaggio
* My supermarket
bakery fills their cream Bismarks (and pastry horns) with a very, very
white pastry cream - don't have a clue how to make that....

It's usually based on Crisco, like supermarket cake frosting, too.

Ugh. I worry that young folks have *no* clue what the stuff in
supermarket bakeries is intended to imitate as they only know the bad
stuff there. Whole generations being raised on bad baked goods and never
having tasted a real Bavarian Cream. *Sooooooo sad!!

Yup- the old "Bavarian in a bucket"- yuk!!