Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default got new stuff

I got my Thermoworks ChefAlarm today. It has lots of nice features as
well as 2 good magnets that won't let it slide away when in use. I
can't wait to try it out but first must find the right size Phillips
head screw driver to open the battery compartment so that I can remove
the battery storage protection.

Also got my new driver's license today. Bah! Worst photo ever. :-((

Oh, and I also got a Copper Chef combo pan a while back. (always
wanted to try the stuff to see if it really worked) It does. That
surface is so fine that today I used it to toast some croutons. You
know how the oil makes a scum in other pans? Not in the Copper Chef.

Janet US

Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got my Thermoworks ChefAlarm today. It has lots of nice features as
well as 2 good magnets that won't let it slide away when in use. I
can't wait to try it out but first must find the right size Phillips
head screw driver to open the battery compartment so that I can remove
the battery storage protection.

To open a small battery compartment probably a No.1, which is fairly
small... the most common Philips screw is a No.2. Most everyone has a
No, 2 Philips screwdriver. I doubt it will be a No. 3, which is
fairly large.

Also got my new driver's license today. Bah! Worst photo ever. :-((

Scan and post it. hehe

Oh, and I also got a Copper Chef combo pan a while back. (always
wanted to try the stuff to see if it really worked) It does. That
surface is so fine that today I used it to toast some croutons. You
know how the oil makes a scum in other pans? Not in the Copper Chef.

Janet US

Copper Chef sounds like a good pan, enjoy. What size is it and what
makes it a combo pan?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:49:37 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got my Thermoworks ChefAlarm today. It has lots of nice features as
well as 2 good magnets that won't let it slide away when in use. I
can't wait to try it out but first must find the right size Phillips
head screw driver to open the battery compartment so that I can remove
the battery storage protection.

All the battery protectors I've removed just pull right out. You
tried that?

Oh, and I also got a Copper Chef combo pan a while back. (always
wanted to try the stuff to see if it really worked) It does. That
surface is so fine that today I used it to toast some croutons. You
know how the oil makes a scum in other pans? Not in the Copper Chef.

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere. They work at first, then fail quickly. I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial. Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

-sw
Old 09-02-2019, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 17:09:10 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

[...]

this was wrapped pretty snugly. I was afraid the little tab would
tear and then I would need a screw driver anyway.
As I said, I was curious.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 16:38:34 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I was shopping for a stove top grill pan anyway. I wanted burgers and
chops to be up out of accumulating grease in the bottom of a pan. The
combination is a roaster pan bottom and the lid is either the grill or
when inverted, another pan. Not an unusual combination but I have a
couple others that are a son of a gun to clean because they don't
feature a non-stick surface.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

My new DL photo is identical to the one before, from 2 years ago. In this stupid state, drivers over
the age of 72 have to actually show up for a renewal every two years. One might think it would
be to take an actual driving test, but nope...it is for the eye exam. I hate it. Below that age,
licenses can be renewed online for something like 10 years. Bah, humbug.

N.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:36:49 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
wrote:

My new DL photo is identical to the one before, from 2 years ago. In this stupid state, drivers over
the age of 72 have to actually show up for a renewal every two years. One might think it would
be to take an actual driving test, but nope...it is for the eye exam. I hate it. Below that age,
licenses can be renewed online for something like 10 years. Bah, humbug.

Isn't it nice to know that drivers can see something?
Old 09-02-2019, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 5:07:47 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere. They work at first, then fail quickly. I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial. Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

-sw

There's some folks on YouTube that give reviews from "As Seen on TV" products.
The copper pans and the granite stone pans have received very good reviews. But
a lot of the stuff sold on TV is junk.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/8/2019 6:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere. They work at first, then fail quickly. I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial. Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

I had one - it was absolutely terrific - for a while. But I tend to
regard non-stick pans as disposable items.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sucked. Great for 20 cooks but failed. Still have it. Just did Circulon, Oster and Gotham Steel.

Looking for a pot I could deepfry 6 wings. Gotham wins based on being smart. Best I could say.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 20:00:33 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 2/8/2019 6:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere. They work at first, then fail quickly. I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial. Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

I had one - it was absolutely terrific - for a while. But I tend to
regard non-stick pans as disposable items.

I have non-stick pans that are going on 20 yo and are still very good
non-stick. A lot of stuff in this world depends on what you do to it.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

My new DL photo is identical to the one before, from 2 years ago. In this stupid state, drivers over
the age of 72 have to actually show up for a renewal every two years. One might think it would
be to take an actual driving test, but nope...it is for the eye exam. I hate it. Below that age,
licenses can be renewed online for something like 10 years. Bah, humbug.

N.

I had a really attractive photo last time. I guess you aren't allowed
to have a good one 2 times in a row. DL rules vary so much from state
to state. I'm going to have to go back soon. We have a deal here for
a "star" license. Supposedly without the star you won't be able to
get on an airplane after 2020. I need a 'certified, notarized with
the state" birth certificate, marriage license for one state, divorce
decree for one state, marriage license for another state, 2 legal
documents for my current address. I thought I had everything they
wanted to prove that I am me but the woman at the desk just discarded
each one as not being 'official.' There are for-profit businesses now
that get all the state documents for you. I'll have to send away for
them. My 2 states no longer provide official copies of documents. You
have to get them from one of these document businesses.
Janet US
Old 09-02-2019, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 13:49:37 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I got my Thermoworks ChefAlarm today. It has lots of nice features as
well as 2 good magnets that won't let it slide away when in use. I
can't wait to try it out but first must find the right size Phillips
head screw driver to open the battery compartment so that I can remove
the battery storage protection.

All the battery protectors I've removed just pull right out. You
tried that?

I have some that require a screwdriver, those that are used outdoors
and those that are affected by humidity... they have an o-ring gasket
that needs to be torqued... all the weather stations I've had require
a screwdriver... not necessesarily a Philips. Anyway a Phillips
screwdriver is no big deal, any hardware store will have them for less
than $2. I can't imagine anyone not having a few Philips
screwdrivers. I have many, all sizes, stashed all over, I even have a
set that works with a ratchet. I have a few Chapman sets, finast
quality.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/8/2019 8:00 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/8/2019 6:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere.* They work at first, then fail quickly.* I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial.* Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

I had one - it was absolutely terrific - for a while. But I tend to
regard non-stick pans as disposable items.

Some are, but new coatings can last a long time. My Woll pan has held up
very well for years and I usually clean it by just a wipe with a paper
towel. Had others that did not do well after a couple of months.