Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can't stop dipping stuff into other stuff

Recently I find I've been dipping a lot of my food.

I dip pecans into frosting, frosted-shredded-wheat cereal into milk and
coffee, and chocolate into peanut butter.

I have been watching that Hobbit movie a couple of times a week. Do you
think maybe I should cut back?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." > wrote in message
> Recently I find I've been dipping a lot of my food.
>

> I dip pecans into frosting, frosted-shredded-wheat cereal into milk and
> coffee, and chocolate into peanut butter.
>
> I have been watching that Hobbit movie a couple of times a week. Do you
> think maybe I should cut back?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Uh... Dunno. Don't even know what a Hobbit is and don't care. Does a
Hobbit dip stuff?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Uh... Dunno. Don't even know what a Hobbit is and don't care.

Your poor daughter.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> The Lord of the Rings series ranks number 2 on the Best Selling Books
> of All Time list, and The Hobbit is also in the top 10 (either #4 or
> #6, depending on what list you look at).
>
> I think I've read the whole series 3 times over the years, plus seen
> the movies several times.

I bought and read the 4 books (Hobbit & Lord of the Rings trilogy)
back in the mid 70s. Very good read. My only issue was how they would
get to some exciting point then go off to some other thing, leaving
you hanging for a hundred pages or so. I hate that, and not all
authors do that.

I've tried watching the movies but they seem very slow (yawn) so I've
never really watched them. I might re-read the book again.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 10:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> The Lord of the Rings series ranks number 2 on the Best Selling Books
>> of All Time list, and The Hobbit is also in the top 10 (either #4 or
>> #6, depending on what list you look at).
>>
>> I think I've read the whole series 3 times over the years, plus seen
>> the movies several times.

> I bought and read the 4 books (Hobbit & Lord of the Rings trilogy)
> back in the mid 70s. Very good read. My only issue was how they would
> get to some exciting point then go off to some other thing, leaving
> you hanging for a hundred pages or so. I hate that, and not all
> authors do that.

I was looking for something to read the other day. My fingers lightly
skimmed over the books I have and paused at The Hobbit. But I wasn't
really in the mood to read it again. I, too, have the trilogy which
followed The Hobbit. The books were a gift from my high school boyfriend.

I agree at some points the books dragged. Tolkien was nothing if not
wordy.

> I've tried watching the movies but they seem very slow (yawn) so I've
> never really watched them. I might re-read the book again.
>
> G.

I never cared for the movies. I'd rather the images (aka special
effects) come from my imagination. Evoked by the words of the author
To me, that's what reading is all about.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 10, 2014 3:50:35 PM UTC-8, Christopher M. wrote:
> Recently I find I've been dipping a lot of my food.
>

> I dip pecans into frosting, frosted-shredded-wheat cereal into milk and
>
> coffee, and chocolate into peanut butter.
>

> I have been watching that Hobbit movie a couple of times a week. Do you
>
> think maybe I should cut back?
>

> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Do you drink from the toilet too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message

>>> My goodness! How could anyone have never heard of a Hobbit? You'd
>>> think she was living in a third world country.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I'm sure if Julie were to respond to this and subsequent posts she'd say
>> that she just doesn't have time. That seems to be the reason she gives
>> for so many things.

> Then perhaps she doesn't!

I just don't care. And I never said that I had never heard of it. I
believe it was a book or a series of books and then a movie. I only like
certain types of books and most movies do not interest me. Whatever genre
it is, does not interest me and most certainly would not interest my
daughter.

It's not that I don't have the time. I just don't have the interest. I'm
not a Trekkie either although I saw the original show many times over as my
dad and my brother loved it and we had only one TV set. Only saw some of
the newer show because my husband watched it sporadically and it would
sometimes be on when I was visiting people. Some of my friends were
Trekkies and also into the Hobbit. They told me that it wouldn't interest
me so I trusted their word. I also tried to read Watership Down and several
books by Ray Bradbury and Ernest Hemmingway. Watership Down by choice and
the others because I had to do it for school. Also not a fan of Shakespear.
And I saw only the first Star Wars movie and found myself struggling to
watch it. Just not interested!

My preferred genres are food, health, comedy (not all comedy, only certain
types), biographies (not all of them) and certain type of true stories. Not
so much murder mysteries. Those were okay for a while but I got totally
burned out on them. My mom was a very avid reader when her eyes were still
good and she went through phases of true story murder books and then Amish
shunning stories (fiction). She read at least 5 books a week (often more)
and passed them on to me.

I did find the murder books to be interesting but soon could not slog
through them any more. Simply could not get into the Amish books like that
although I do like to read some books that are about different ways of life
or historical books. Just not so much the romance type books. But stuff
like Lois Lensky's Strawberry Girl. That book is about some feuding
families who were struggling to get by in the Great Depression.

I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater. I know people who simply
love to read and will anything and everything. That's just not me.
Although I will try if I can get something for free. I somehow got myself
hooked up with a company that sends me free magazines from time to time.
One of the most recent ones is Maxim. I only knew that it was a men's
magazine but it was not one that any of the guys I knew or know had or have
around. So really unfamiliar with it. It does have some amusing and
interesting parts but overall, not so appealing to me. Ditto for Latina and
Ebony. But I do pass my magazines along to another person and she in turn
passes them long to someone else. So if I can get something for free that I
think might appeal to someone else, I get it. I do pay for some magazines
but I will only pay if it is something that I really want or I know daughter
will read.

I also like some books about cats and other animals. Like Max. Sorry,
can't remember the authors name. It is the story of an autistic boy and his
relationship with a stray cat. Or Dewey, the story of a kitten who was
dumped in a library book drop. What I can't get into are those books where
the cat knows things, solves mysteries, does time travel or in some way has
sort of human qualities to it.

I was also urged by a college professor to write Harlequin Romances to earn
a quick few thousand dollars. And I can write stuff that I am not into
but... I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis and wouldn't want to
slog through having to write one of those. No offense to those who like
that genre. It's just not my thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 03:00:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Then perhaps she doesn't!

>> I just don't care. And I never said that I had never heard of it. I
>> believe it was a book or a series of books and then a movie. I only like
>> certain types of books and most movies do not interest me. Whatever
>> genre it is, does not interest me and most certainly would not interest
>> my daughter.

> Pretty much the same here. None of us has been interested in that stuff.

Glad I'm not the only one then! I did like the Lion The Witch and the
Wardrobe when I read it in the 3rd grade but I mainly liked the beginning
part of it and aside from a lion being in it, had a hard time getting into
the fantasy part of it. I had a worse time trying to get into the
subsequent books. And really did not care for the movies. Except that I do
like the actor who played Mr. Tumnus after first seeing him on the British
version of Shameless. That sort of show is right up my alley. I have not
however seen the American version of that same show. I've heard it is good
but... I loved the British version of The Office while the American version
fell flat for me. I think the only show I've seen and liked both versions
of was Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 03:00:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

Because other picky eaters do not think that I qualify as a picky eater for
one thing. There used to be a forum for adult picky eaters. It's no longer
there. But literally everyone there said that I ate too wide of a variety
of things to be considered a picky eater. Many of these people were so
picky that they ate little besides dry toast, grilled cheese sandwiches,
chicken nuggets and French fries. Some ate pizza. Most ate no other
vegetables or fruit. Most were even terrified to try new things.

I also don't seem to fare very well at writing recipes. Although I love to
cook, I prefer winging it most of the time. I did try to do recipes when I
was younger and entered cooking contests but I found the details of writing
the recipe out to be too tedious for my liking. While I find it necessary
to measure things for certain kinds of baking and candy making, I tend not
to measure for savory items. I did make an apple crisp yesterday and
measured nothing. Stuff like that, once you've made it once or twice you
can merely go by the way it looks. I also got to where I could do a lot of
the quick to fix candies (as in ones that don't require cooking to a certain
stage) without measuring. Even as a kid, I did things this way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> What I can't get into are those books where
> the cat knows things, solves mysteries, does time travel or in some way has
> sort of human qualities to it.

What?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 03:00:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

Price would be cheap. I picture a pamphlet, not a full cookbook.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> What I can't get into are those books where
>> the cat knows things, solves mysteries, does time travel or in some way
>> has
>> sort of human qualities to it.

> What?

There are many. Some sort of mysteries where the cat gives the owner clues
to solve.

And in looking up the time traveling cat, apparently there is a whole series
of books on that but I bought this one for daughter when she was required to
read a science fiction book.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Cat-Remar...travelling+cat

Why it got such a high rating I do not know. She whined and whined about it
saying how horrible it was. I finally agreed to read it out loud to her. I
tried. Oh how I tried. But one big issue that I had with it was that it
had a lot of words and names that I wasn't sure how to pronounce and things
like that just bug me. I can handle a few things like that but this book
was full of them. And each chapter became progressively more and more
boring.

I did manage to slog through most of the book, watching daughter's eyes grow
weary as I tried. Finally I just told her that I wasn't going to torture
either of us any more. I was taught to speed read when I was in high
school. We were required to read each page in a second. I never could
actually do this and retain it all but I was already a fast reader and the
techniques we were taught helped me to be able to read even faster. It was
a lot easier for me to do this than to try to read it out loud, especially
when struggling with the names.

Then in the end, rather than having to write a report about it, all she had
to do was some form of artwork involving common household items. She wound
up making a black cat out of a small milk carton. What a waste of time!

Seems that the way they do things in school nowadays only discourages kids
from reading. I was not forced to read a variety of genres until Jr. High.
But I was reading adult books by the 3rd grade so I could quickly slog
through them even though I didn't enjoy them.

I was also the reading assistant when my daughter was in 3rd grade. I had a
box of mostly boring stories that I had to have the kids read (the kids who
needed reading help) then I had to time them and test them for
comprehension. The teacher had told me to assign stories to them but I
wasn't about to do that. I talked to them a little bit first and tried to
learn their interests then picked stories that I thought would appeal. By
the end of the year it got to where by default they had to read stuff that
didn't appeal but at least they had a good start. I will never forget the
one boy though. Told me that he loved snakes. But he pronounced the word
as "snake-es". No matter how many times I corrected him, he could not say
it right.

And one of the girls kept telling me that she liked "aminals". She had a
super hard time with the reading and it would not surprise me if she was
dyslexic. She seemed to be able to detect the first letter of the word and
then her mind just filled in the rest, with most of the time her coming up
with some word that wasn't even remotely close to what was written. I would
even tell her what the word was and she could still never get it. She also
did not test well at all, seeming not to remember a thing, even after I read
the story to her.

If I remember correctly, I was to read it slowly to the child first, then
they were to read it aloud to me, but I was to time them and see how much
they could read in a minute. I had to do three such tests, in the hopes
that they would do better each time. Then I would read it to them again and
have them take a short test for comprehension. This girl failed every
question, every single time even when I tried to help her. She moved away
so I don't know what became of her.

But the "snake-es" boy is still here and still says the word that very way.
One day, the parents had to visit the school and I heard a female voice
behind me. I was like... Why does that voice sound so annoyingly familiar?
Then I turned to see that it was this boy and his mom. Apparently he got
his speech patterns from her. Eek!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 03:00:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

>> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

> Price would be cheap. I picture a pamphlet, not a full cookbook.

I'm sure I could do it. I might be bald by the time I was done, after
ripping my hair out in little tufts time and time again but... I fear there
wouldn't be much of a market for such a book. After talking to picky
eaters, they seem to be far more picky than I am. I know, I know. Hard for
a lot of people here to believe. But the picky eaters I know are so very
picky, they wouldn't even use a recipe. They tend to eat very plain foods.
Like boiled noodles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I know, I know. Hard for
> a lot of people here to believe. But the picky eaters I know are so very
> picky,

I had an old great aunt once (my gramma's sister). When she got cable
tv, she was overwhelmed with all the channels and the cable box and
the remote. Afraid that if she switched channels, she wouldn't be able
to find her favorite channel again, she just left it on ONE channel
and watched everything, good or bad.

We went to visit one day and my Dad grabbed the remote and switched
channels. BIG MISTAKE@! Aunt Mary totally freaked out until he
changed it back to "her" channel. heheh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I know, I know. Hard for
>> a lot of people here to believe. But the picky eaters I know are so very
>> picky,

> I had an old great aunt once (my gramma's sister). When she got cable
> tv, she was overwhelmed with all the channels and the cable box and
> the remote. Afraid that if she switched channels, she wouldn't be able
> to find her favorite channel again, she just left it on ONE channel
> and watched everything, good or bad.
>
> We went to visit one day and my Dad grabbed the remote and switched
> channels. BIG MISTAKE@! Aunt Mary totally freaked out until he
> changed it back to "her" channel. heheh

Awwww. When we got our first tv my mother sat glued to it ... even when
there were no programmes being broadcast she used to sit and look at the
test card. She even used to watch all the Welsh language programmes but
couldn't understand a word It was just a magical new thing

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

>You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

I don't think she has a talent for writing, Julie has a talent for
gross verbosity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity
Perhaps I can add a new word to the lexicon, way beyond verbose is
verbove! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

>>You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>>a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

> I don't think she has a talent for writing, Julie has a talent for
> gross verbosity.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity
> Perhaps I can add a new word to the lexicon, way beyond verbose is
> verbove! LOL

Huh! you are hardly a minimal writer yourself!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 10:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>>> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

>> I don't think she has a talent for writing, Julie has a talent for
>> gross verbosity.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity
>> Perhaps I can add a new word to the lexicon, way beyond verbose is
>> verbove! LOL

> Huh! you are hardly a minimal writer yourself!

He claims he can't type. I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2014 10:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I don't think she has a talent for writing, Julie has a talent for
>>> gross verbosity.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbosity
>>> Perhaps I can add a new word to the lexicon, way beyond verbose is
>>> verbove! LOL

>> Huh! you are hardly a minimal writer yourself!
>>

> He claims he can't type. I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.

Heh!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> Huh! you are hardly a minimal writer yourself!
> >>

> > He claims he can't type. I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.

> Heh!

You say "Heh!" in Scotland. What does that translate to in American
english?

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 11:10 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> He claims he can't type. I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.

>> Heh!

> You say "Heh!" in Scotland. What does that translate to in American
> english?
>
> G.

Same thing it does in American english. It's sort of a snort.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > He claims he can't type. I'd say he does a pretty good job of it.

>> Heh!

> You say "Heh!" in Scotland. What does that translate to in American
> english?

Ummm 'Heh'?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2014 11:10 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> Heh!

>> You say "Heh!" in Scotland. What does that translate to in American
>> english?
>>
>> G.
>>

> Same thing it does in American english. It's sort of a snort.

Yep)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> You say "Heh!" in Scotland. What does that translate to in American
> >> english?
> >>
> >> G.
> >>

> > Same thing it does in American english. It's sort of a snort.

> Yep)

Well I did manage to get Jill to explain it to me. A semi good troll?
hehh

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 11:41 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> Same thing it does in American english. It's sort of a snort.

>> Yep)

> Well I did manage to get Jill to explain it to me. A semi good troll?
> hehh
>
> G.

Why would you want to become a troll?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 5:00 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I just don't care. And I never said that I had never heard of it. I
> believe it was a book or a series of books and then a movie. I only
> like certain types of books and most movies do not interest me.
> Whatever genre it is, does not interest me and most certainly would not
> interest my daughter.

Have you or daughter read Nancy Drew books? Those are the books that
got me hooked on reading, but I was much younger than daughter is now
when I started my first Nancy Drew book.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 6:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 03:00:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> I am a picky reader just as I am a picky eater.

>> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

> Because other picky eaters do not think that I qualify as a picky eater
> for one thing.

From the January, 2014 Reader's Digest. Here's the link for the online
version of the article:

http://www.rd.com/funny-stuff/picky-eater-explains/

Very good read!!

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2014 6:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> You do seem to have a talent for writing - so why not channel that into
>>> a cookbook for picky eaters? I know I'd buy one... ;-)

>> Because other picky eaters do not think that I qualify as a picky eater
>> for one thing.

> From the January, 2014 Reader's Digest. Here's the link for the online
> version of the article:
>
> http://www.rd.com/funny-stuff/picky-eater-explains/
>
> Very good read!!

Interesting! Thanks for posting. It certainly gives insight into Julie's
pickiness problems. See! She is not alone!!!

I don't often talk about the stuff I don't like/eat so I guess it is not
apparent ... although I am well known for disliking spicy stuff, so I guess
I am picky too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 5:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> I don't often talk about the stuff I don't like/eat so I guess it is not
> apparent ... although I am well known for disliking spicy stuff, so I
> guess I am picky too)

You never know about "spicy" stuff. My parents were not into spice. One
time when they came for dinner I made Tandoori chicken. It is not
particularly hot spicy, but it is strongly spiced. My father was not
much of a meat eater. It was the first time I ever saw him help himself
to seconds of meat.

When we were first married my wife made a corn pudding for them. Knowing
that they were not crazy about spice she, for some reason, substituted
the small amount of curry powder for a large amount of cayenne. They
liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-12 5:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> I don't often talk about the stuff I don't like/eat so I guess it is not
>> apparent ... although I am well known for disliking spicy stuff, so I
>> guess I am picky too)
>>

> You never know about "spicy" stuff. My parents were not into spice. One
> time when they came for dinner I made Tandoori chicken. It is not
> particularly hot spicy, but it is strongly spiced. My father was not much
> of a meat eater. It was the first time I ever saw him help himself to
> seconds of meat.
>
> When we were first married my wife made a corn pudding for them. Knowing
> that they were not crazy about spice she, for some reason, substituted the
> small amount of curry powder for a large amount of cayenne. They liked
> it.

Wow good for them. I used to live in India and I couldn't stand their
food.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Not Bad stuff Or Dimitri General Cooking 43 31-08-2011 10:02 PM
Stuff on the Web modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 1 28-08-2009 10:10 PM
stop sending me stuff!!!!!!! Sierra Barbecue 10 04-01-2007 03:41 PM
Stuff from Hou De Nico Tea 9 08-09-2005 03:45 PM
More Tri tip stuff Peter Barbecue 5 01-12-2003 07:35 AM