jcoulter

Default That Owl stuff

I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the winking owl
downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it was a pop up and
a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I use X News is there a
reader that will avoid this stuff?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

enoavidh

jcoulter > wrote in
:

> I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the winking
> owl downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it was a
> pop up and a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I use X
> News is there a reader that will avoid this stuff?

<delurk>
My (freeware) copy of X-News asked if I should run the file; I said no. It
did save to a folder, scanning doesn't show viral content, but I'm sending
it on to a couple of labs, once I find where I put the addresses
Also, forwarded copies of the post with headers to:
, ,

I can't seem to find an abuse address for Aldi US, just in case this is a
bit of "viral marketing", which seems to be an up and coming thing...

Sorry, no ObWine...I haven't had *anything* recently that I especially
enjoyed; I'm writing it off to the weather
<relurk>
jcoulter

enoavidh > wrote in
. 40:

> jcoulter > wrote in
> :
>
>> I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the
>> winking owl downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it
>> was a pop up and a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I
>> use X News is there a reader that will avoid this stuff?
>>

> <delurk>
> My (freeware) copy of X-News asked if I should run the file; I said
> no. It did save to a folder, scanning doesn't show viral content, but
> I'm sending it on to a couple of labs, once I find where I put the
> addresses Also, forwarded copies of the post with headers to:
> , ,
>
> I can't seem to find an abuse address for Aldi US, just in case this
> is a bit of "viral marketing", which seems to be an up and coming
> thing...
>
> Sorry, no ObWine...I haven't had *anything* recently that I especially
> enjoyed; I'm writing it off to the weather
> <relurk>

That is what happened to me, I didn't open the file but got a pop up
that asked me to.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Emery Davis

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:05:31 -0500, jcoulter > said:

] I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the winking owl
] downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it was a pop up and
] a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I use X News is there a
] reader that will avoid this stuff?
]

Joseph, try sylpheed or sylpheed-claws. It's an excellent mailer/news reader,
very fast, free, an essentially virus/annoyance-ware proof. Attachments are
shown but never opened or run.

It's linuxware but I have a windows version (1.0.3) that works very
nicely, as well as an Irix version. (Adele uses it for her primary
biz email, and she gets _alot_ of mail, so it seems very robust).

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
jcoulter

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:05:31 -0500, jcoulter
> > said:
>
>] I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the
>] winking owl downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it
>] was a pop up and a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I
>] use X News is there a reader that will avoid this stuff?
>]
>
> Joseph, try sylpheed or sylpheed-claws. It's an excellent mailer/news
> reader, very fast, free, an essentially virus/annoyance-ware proof.
> Attachments are shown but never opened or run.
>
> It's linuxware but I have a windows version (1.0.3) that works very
> nicely, as well as an Irix version. (Adele uses it for her primary
> biz email, and she gets _alot_ of mail, so it seems very robust).
>
> HTH
>
> -E

Thanks, I should clarify that the attachment did not run, I got a pop up
that asked if I wanted to run it, but the file in the attachments folder
was annoying and a little alarming.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Mark Lipton

enoavidh wrote:
> jcoulter > wrote in
> :
>

>>I always thought that ng messages were safe untill I found the winking
>>owl downloaded to my computer. It was just a 1kb file, but it was a
>>pop up and a download. This was not a pleasant experience. I use X
>>News is there a reader that will avoid this stuff?
>>

> <delurk>
> My (freeware) copy of X-News asked if I should run the file; I said no. It
> did save to a folder, scanning doesn't show viral content, but I'm sending
> it on to a couple of labs, once I find where I put the addresses
> Also, forwarded copies of the post with headers to:
> , ,

If you're referring to the reply by "your name" in MSG-ID
>, there was no attachment. What
he/she/it did was to preface his/her/its reply with the words "begin
666" which most newsreaders interpret as the start of a UUencoded
attachment. What follows, however, is simply the reply "The Winking Owl
is great for thje price. Not too sweet and leaves a nice after taste."
Look at the message source in your newsreader to see for yourselves.

HTH
Mark Lipton
Emery Davis

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:06:12 -0500, jcoulter > said:

[]
] Thanks, I should clarify that the attachment did not run, I got a pop up
] that asked if I wanted to run it, but the file in the attachments folder
] was annoying and a little alarming.
]

No popup with claws!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
enoavidh

just as a follow-up, I submitted the file to VirusTotal, and the 17
scanners didn't find anything...but I wanted to post a link to this useful
site:
http://www.virustotal.com

And if you-owl will excuse me, I must just go buy some wine...no owls will
be involved

Can't stop dipping stuff into other stuff Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 85 14-01-2014 02:46 PM
Stuff on the Web modom (palindrome guy)[_3_] General Cooking 1 28-08-2009 10:10 PM
just stuff elaine General Cooking 10 18-03-2007 12:13 PM
Stuff you ate as a kid-but you know is bad for you now but...... Kswck General Cooking 63 17-03-2006 11:05 PM
Stuff from Hou De Nico Tea 9 08-09-2005 03:45 PM