Old 09-02-2019, 03:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default got new stuff

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 17:13:04 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:

Sucked. Great for 20 cooks but failed. Still have it. Just did Circulon, Oster and Gotham Steel.

Looking for a pot I could deepfry 6 wings. Gotham wins based on being smart. Best I could say.

I use the oldest, shittiest pans I have for deep frying. I have a
set of Club which were pretty common back in the 80's. Nonstick
that comes in pastel-ish colors. Mine were yellow. They're now
black and brown. Anything except aluminum will work for deep
frying. And it's going to get grody, so nothing fancy.

-sw
Old 09-02-2019, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 21:19:09 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/8/2019 8:00 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/8/2019 6:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

I thought I remembered the CopperChefs getting terrible reviews here
and elsewhere.* They work at first, then fail quickly.* I don't
trust or buy anything advertised in an infomercial.* Infomercials
aren't cheap and employ sleazy marketing tactics.

I had one - it was absolutely terrific - for a while. But I tend to
regard non-stick pans as disposable items.

Some are, but new coatings can last a long time. My Woll pan has held up
very well for years and I usually clean it by just a wipe with a paper
towel. Had others that did not do well after a couple of months.

The Bailetti and Tramontina non-sticks have served me very well.
DOW revoked the licenses to use Teflon from a bunch of manufacturers
because they sucked. People say they loved the Farberware stuff,
but those were some of the worst I've ever had.

-sw
Old 09-02-2019, 03:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 21:23:10 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 17:13:04 -0800 (PST), Thomas wrote:

Sucked. Great for 20 cooks but failed. Still have it. Just did Circulon, Oster and Gotham Steel.

Looking for a pot I could deepfry 6 wings. Gotham wins based on being smart. Best I could say.

I use the oldest, shittiest pans I have for deep frying. I have a
set of Club which were pretty common back in the 80's. Nonstick
that comes in pastel-ish colors. Mine were yellow. They're now
black and brown. Anything except aluminum will work for deep
frying. And it's going to get grody, so nothing fancy.

"Definition of grody

US slang
disgusting, revolting the miniseries is especially good at depicting
the often grody shipboard atmosphere, with decks awash in whale blood
and blubber."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grody
Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/8/2019 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

The Bailetti and Tramontina non-sticks have served me very well.

I really liked the Emeril pans but they wore out over a few years.
They take a beating, we're not the plastic utensil people and I
don't expect non stick to last forever anyway.

On a whim I picked up a set of 3 Tramontina at (drumroll) Costco
last week. Jury is out, I hope they work out. They were next
to the Copperwhatever as seen on tv set. I just assumed they
probably don't last, guess I'm put off by those kinds of commercials.

Okay, I made an exception for the Foodsaver.

DOW revoked the licenses to use Teflon from a bunch of manufacturers
because they sucked. People say they loved the Farberware stuff,
but those were some of the worst I've ever had.

Even those are probably a lot better than the early versions. Black
flakes in your scrambled eggs, anyone?

nancy
Old 09-02-2019, 02:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 21:36:53 -0700, U.S. Janet B.
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 21:09:05 -0500, wrote:

snip

I have some that require a screwdriver, those that are used outdoors
and those that are affected by humidity... they have an o-ring gasket
that needs to be torqued... all the weather stations I've had require
a screwdriver... not necessesarily a Philips. Anyway a Phillips
screwdriver is no big deal, any hardware store will have them for less
than $2. I can't imagine anyone not having a few Philips
screwdrivers. I have many, all sizes, stashed all over, I even have a
set that works with a ratchet. I have a few Chapman sets, finast
quality.

I just didn't have the right sized Phillips head screw driver in my
kitchen drawer of tools. The screw driver I had was the one you use
to open the box knife to change blades -- far too big. I needed a
little bitty thing. I had to go to my husband's tools area and find
one.

A No. 1 Philips is fairly small, in fact most people don't have other
than the No. 2 Philips. However there are yet smaller Philips,
typically found in eyeglass repair kits (zero size). You may find a
comprehensive screwdriver kit helpful to have, I like the idea of one
handle with several bits, keeps the cost way down... and the bits are
hardened so last practically forever:
https://www.amazon.com/Syntus-Precis...0RRVHF5WKZ9AHK

Old 09-02-2019, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I hope they make those things better than they used to. I had one years
ago and it was a useless piece of crap that would only work with screws
that were loose. The barrel of it bent when there was a lot of pressure
exerted on it.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 20:28:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 9:17:56 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 16:44:24 -0800 (PST),

wrote:

There's some folks on YouTube that give reviews from "As Seen on TV" products.
The copper pans and the granite stone pans have received very good reviews. But
a lot of the stuff sold on TV is junk.

Yeah, but almost all those reviews are from people who just received
it and haven't used it for a month. Look at the one=-star reviews
on Amazon, those are mostly from the people who've waited a couple
months to review them. While the 5-star reviews are from people
who've had it for less than 2 weeks.

I wait for Janet's 6-month/50-uses and washings review :-)

-sw

There's one guy that does the reviews, and at the end of the year he will give
a nod to the best and worst products he's bought and used. If something is
especially impressive he will review it again and give updates to how it's
holding up.

You have much more patience then me,. I prefer to read reviews from
real consumers(*), not watch videos of people who were given items
and possibly paid to review them. I despise 99.95% of youtube
videos.

(*) given, some of those people are idiots ("1 star because I should
have ordered blue instead of red").

-sw

Old 10-02-2019, 05:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 08:03:05 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

On 2/8/2019 10:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

The Bailetti and Tramontina non-sticks have served me very well.

I really liked the Emeril pans but they wore out over a few years.
They take a beating, we're not the plastic utensil people and I
don't expect non stick to last forever anyway.

On a whim I picked up a set of 3 Tramontina at (drumroll) Costco
last week. Jury is out, I hope they work out. They were next
to the Copperwhatever as seen on tv set. I just assumed they
probably don't last, guess I'm put off by those kinds of commercials.

I'm using the Tramontina right now - have been for 2 years. Still
good as new. I accidentally threw away the small one. Set it in
the garbage to drain the oil in the pan (given 45 minutes, every
last spec of oil will run off the pan). but somebody else covered
it up with trash and I took it out to the trash the next day. I
realized what was happening just as I heard the trash truck pulled
up outside. Oops!

-sw
Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I went back and reviewed the Amazon reviews. There are far fewer
negative reports than positive and the positive are not all from
people who just took CC out of the box. I read negative comments with
a jaundiced eye. There are always people out there who can't find
there butt with two hands.
Janet US
Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:21:19 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

I went back and reviewed the Amazon reviews. There are far fewer
negative reports than positive and the positive are not all from
people who just took CC out of the box. I read negative comments with
a jaundiced eye. There are always people out there who can't find
there butt with two hands.
Janet US

Ain't that the truth!!