Old 22-07-2013, 02:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Zukes!

Hi All,

I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
on moist as the small and smaller ones.

Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

So far that is one more zuke than I got off all my
plants last year. (This year I am listen to
real organic farmers and doing everything they
say.)

I don't thing either plant figured out what I
am doing with their offspring yet. Neither one
accused my parents of not being married! They are
not dumb, they will figure it out eventually.
Snicker, snicker. (Please tell me at least one
of you thought that was funny!)

I harvested six tomatoes too. Three red ones and
three black ones (they are really red and green,
but don't tell the marketing folks, it will break
their hearts). When grown that way (organic,
full circle), oh my the taste! My wife's and my
eye's rolled in our heads.

And I picked a big old bad of purslane. EAT THE
WEED!!! (I know, control myself.)

My Love and I had garden fresh Zukes, Cheri's
Parmesan organic Chicken, Garden freshes Purslane,
and a few Garden fresh cherry tomatoes for
lunch. Oh Man!

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips
in the cooking process, not to mention the
friendship. You guys are a blessing.

-T

I did not dare "contaminate" the garden fresh
taste of the zukes with onions and tomatoes,
as the fresh taste is beyond incredible.

If all goes as planned and I get use to the
taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

Old 22-07-2013, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
on moist as the small and smaller ones.

Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

I know what clarified butter means. But what does it mean here?

snip

Old 22-07-2013, 04:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
well take more time.

Wendy

Old 23-07-2013, 07:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 23-07-2013, 07:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
well take more time.

Wendy

Thank you!

Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.

Old 23-07-2013, 04:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: In article , Todd
: wrote:

: On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
:
:
: : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
:
: EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
: microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
: well take more time.
:
: Wendy
:
:
: Thank you!

: Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
: shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.

One problem for Todd is that stuffed zuccini is best baked in a dry oven.
You could try it inthe microwave, but it will be soggier, without the
borwned crunch.

Zuccini are also good when grilled outdoors, but that doesn't help Todd.
That is why I did not suggest these dishes.

Wendy
Old 23-07-2013, 07:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: In article , Todd
: wrote:

: On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : Hi All,
:
:
:
[...]

Thanks, Wendy. I guess I didn't get that memo. Why can't Todd bake, or
grill? Is this some weird religious injunction?

For those with convection ovens.

Stuffed Zucchini

1 1/2 lbs. Zucchini
1 cup Italian sausage
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced onions
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1 1/4 tsp. salt
(Optional: 2 eggs, beaten)
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. butter

Wash zucchini and cut off ends. Boil until tender in water with 1 tsp.
salt(5-7 min. more if very large), cut in half, and remove the centers
with a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop zucchini centers and
mix with sausage (& bread crumbs), 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, minced
onions, parsley, salt, and pepper (eggs). Pile mixture into zucchini
shells, dot with butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar
cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

***
Optional: serve with tomato sauce

Sautée in olive oil for 4 - 5 min.
1/2 med. onion (finely chopped),
and a clove of garlic (finely chopped)
Reduce heat
Add 8 oz can of tomato sauce,
oregano to taste
Let simmer a couple of min. and serve over stuffed zucchini.

Serve with red wine, green salad, and tell your wife how beautiful she
is looking tonight.

Old 24-07-2013, 12:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Billy wrote:
: : In article , Todd
: : wrote:
:
: : On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: : Todd wrote:
: : : Hi All,
: :
: :
: :
[...]

It is , apparantly, doue to an allergy of his wife's so no flame
compustion or grilling, etc sells, so he used a skillet, a pressure cooker
and a micrlwave. Kind of limiting for him. No indor or outdoor grilling,
broiling, rasting, baking,etc. : i

Wendy
Old 24-07-2013, 06:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Billy wrote:
: In article ,
: "W. Baker" wrote:

: Billy wrote:
: : In article , Todd
: : wrote:
:
: : On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: : Todd wrote:
: : : Hi All,
: :
: :
: :
[...]

I usually use an electric toaster oven for small things like this. Maybe
he could get a solar oven, or let his wife cook.

Old 26-07-2013, 08:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
well take more time.

Wendy

I made zucchini latkes last year, and I plan to again this year. I also
just picked up a recipe for oven-baked zucchini sticks and plan to try
that as well.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 26-07-2013, 08:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect he means that the flesh of the zucchini became less opaque.
They will do that as they cook. They don't get really transparent, but
they get more see-through and less "white."

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 27-07-2013, 12:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/22/2013 11:39 PM, Billy wrote:
Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.

Hi Billy,

Lets see:
Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
Therefore, I pass the on topic test.

You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
Thank you.

I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
have had yield problems for the past three years
and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.

I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.

What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

This year, I am using their plants and following their
recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
per recommendation.

So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
Now that is a FIRST!

I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
pan.

I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
their offspring for a drive in the country and
figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

I am babbling.

-T

WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
Old 27-07-2013, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
snip interestin gardening advice

: I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
incubating. Plan
: on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
: pan.

: I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
: going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
: their offspring for a drive in the country and
: figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

: I am babbling.

: -T

: WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.

Just my view on these vegetables.

Wendy