Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Zukes!

Hi All,

I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
on moist as the small and smaller ones.

Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

So far that is one more zuke than I got off all my
plants last year. (This year I am listen to
real organic farmers and doing everything they
say.)

I don't thing either plant figured out what I
am doing with their offspring yet. Neither one
accused my parents of not being married! They are
not dumb, they will figure it out eventually.
Snicker, snicker. (Please tell me at least one
of you thought that was funny!)

I harvested six tomatoes too. Three red ones and
three black ones (they are really red and green,
but don't tell the marketing folks, it will break
their hearts). When grown that way (organic,
full circle), oh my the taste! My wife's and my
eye's rolled in our heads.

And I picked a big old bad of purslane. EAT THE
WEED!!! (I know, control myself.)

My Love and I had garden fresh Zukes, Cheri's
Parmesan organic Chicken, Garden freshes Purslane,
and a few Garden fresh cherry tomatoes for
lunch. Oh Man!

Thank you all for your encouragement and tips
in the cooking process, not to mention the
friendship. You guys are a blessing.

-T

I did not dare "contaminate" the garden fresh
taste of the zukes with onions and tomatoes,
as the fresh taste is beyond incredible.

If all goes as planned and I get use to the
taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
> plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
> long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
> 3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
> on moist as the small and smaller ones.
>
> Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
> them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
> my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
> stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
> most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
> about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
> were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
> much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
> broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
> product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

I know what clarified butter means. But what does it mean here?

<snip>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
well take more time.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>

> : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
>
> EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
> microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
> well take more time.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
> plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
> long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
> 3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
> on moist as the small and smaller ones.
>
> Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
> them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
> my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
> stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
> most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
> about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
> were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
> much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
> broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
> product wouldn't get soggy in the container.
>
> So far that is one more zuke than I got off all my
> plants last year. (This year I am listen to
> real organic farmers and doing everything they
> say.)
>
> I don't thing either plant figured out what I
> am doing with their offspring yet. Neither one
> accused my parents of not being married! They are
> not dumb, they will figure it out eventually.
> Snicker, snicker. (Please tell me at least one
> of you thought that was funny!)
>
> I harvested six tomatoes too. Three red ones and
> three black ones (they are really red and green,
> but don't tell the marketing folks, it will break
> their hearts). When grown that way (organic,
> full circle), oh my the taste! My wife's and my
> eye's rolled in our heads.
>
> And I picked a big old bad of purslane. EAT THE
> WEED!!! (I know, control myself.)
>
> My Love and I had garden fresh Zukes, Cheri's
> Parmesan organic Chicken, Garden freshes Purslane,
> and a few Garden fresh cherry tomatoes for
> lunch. Oh Man!
>
> Thank you all for your encouragement and tips
> in the cooking process, not to mention the
> friendship. You guys are a blessing.
>
> -T
>
> I did not dare "contaminate" the garden fresh
> taste of the zukes with onions and tomatoes,
> as the fresh taste is beyond incredible.
>
> If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> from you guys on zukes, again. :-)

Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> > Todd > wrote:
> > : Hi All,
> >

> > : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> > : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> > : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
> >
> > EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
> > microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
> > well take more time.
> >
> > Wendy
> >

> Thank you!

Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy > wrote:
: In article >, Todd >
: wrote:

: > On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > > Todd > wrote:
: > > : Hi All,
: > >
: > >
: > >
: > > : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: > > : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: > > : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
: > >
: > > EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
: > > microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
: > > well take more time.
: > >
: > > Wendy
: > >
: >
: > Thank you!

: Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
: shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.

One problem for Todd is that stuffed zuccini is best baked in a dry oven.
You could try it inthe microwave, but it will be soggier, without the
borwned crunch.

Zuccini are also good when grilled outdoors, but that doesn't help Todd.
That is why I did not suggest these dishes.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Billy > wrote:
> : In article >, Todd >
> : wrote:
>
> : > On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > > Todd > wrote:
> : > > : Hi All,
> : > >
> : > >
> : > >
> : > > : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> : > > : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> : > > : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
> : > >
> : > > EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
> : > > microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
> : > > well take more time.
> : > >
> : > > Wendy
> : > >
> : >
> : > Thank you!
>
> : Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
> : shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.
>
> One problem for Todd is that stuffed zuccini is best baked in a dry oven.
> You could try it inthe microwave, but it will be soggier, without the
> borwned crunch.
>
> Zuccini are also good when grilled outdoors, but that doesn't help Todd.
> That is why I did not suggest these dishes.
>
> Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. I guess I didn't get that memo. Why can't Todd bake, or
grill? Is this some weird religious injunction?

For those with convection ovens.

Stuffed Zucchini

1 1/2 lbs. Zucchini
1 cup Italian sausage
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced onions
2 tbsp. minced parsley
1 1/4 tsp. salt
(Optional: 2 eggs, beaten)
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. butter

Wash zucchini and cut off ends. Boil until tender in water with 1 tsp.
salt(5-7 min. more if very large), cut in half, and remove the centers
with a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop zucchini centers and
mix with sausage (& bread crumbs), 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, minced
onions, parsley, salt, and pepper (eggs). Pile mixture into zucchini
shells, dot with butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar
cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

***
Optional: serve with tomato sauce

Sautée in olive oil for 4 - 5 min.
1/2 med. onion (finely chopped),
and a clove of garlic (finely chopped)
Reduce heat
Add 8 oz can of tomato sauce,
oregano to taste
Let simmer a couple of min. and serve over stuffed zucchini.

Serve with red wine, green salad, and tell your wife how beautiful she
is looking tonight.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Billy > wrote:
: > : In article >, Todd >
: > : wrote:
: >
: > : > On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > : > > Todd > wrote:
: > : > > : Hi All,
: > : > >
: > : > >
: > : > >
: > : > > : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
: > : > > : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
: > : > > : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
: > : > >
: > : > > EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
: > : > > microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
: > : > > well take more time.
: > : > >
: > : > > Wendy
: > : > >
: > : >
: > : > Thank you!
: >
: > : Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
: > : shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.
: >
: > One problem for Todd is that stuffed zuccini is best baked in a dry oven.
: > You could try it inthe microwave, but it will be soggier, without the
: > borwned crunch.
: >
: > Zuccini are also good when grilled outdoors, but that doesn't help Todd.
: > That is why I did not suggest these dishes.
: >
: > Wendy

: Thanks, Wendy. I guess I didn't get that memo. Why can't Todd bake, or
: grill? Is this some weird religious injunction?

: For those with convection ovens.

It is , apparantly, doue to an allergy of his wife's so no flame
compustion or grilling, etc sells, so he used a skillet, a pressure cooker
and a micrlwave. Kind of limiting for him. No indor or outdoor grilling,
broiling, rasting, baking,etc. : i

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Billy > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
> : > Billy > wrote:
> : > : In article >, Todd >
> : > : wrote:
> : >
> : > : > On 07/21/2013 08:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > : > > Todd > wrote:
> : > : > > : Hi All,
> : > : > >
> : > : > >
> : > : > >
> : > : > > : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> : > : > > : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> : > : > > : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
> : > : > >
> : > : > > EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
> : > : > > microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it
> : > : > > may
> : > : > > well take more time.
> : > : > >
> : > : > > Wendy
> : > : > >
> : > : >
> : > : > Thank you!
> : >
> : > : Then, of course, you can always stuff them, or grate them. There
> : > : shouldn't be any waste with a zuke.
> : >
> : > One problem for Todd is that stuffed zuccini is best baked in a dry oven.
> : >
> : > You could try it inthe microwave, but it will be soggier, without the
> : > borwned crunch.
> : >
> : > Zuccini are also good when grilled outdoors, but that doesn't help Todd.
> : > That is why I did not suggest these dishes.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : Thanks, Wendy. I guess I didn't get that memo. Why can't Todd bake, or
> : grill? Is this some weird religious injunction?
>
> : For those with convection ovens.
>
> It is , apparantly, doue to an allergy of his wife's so no flame
> compustion or grilling, etc sells, so he used a skillet, a pressure cooker
> and a micrlwave. Kind of limiting for him. No indor or outdoor grilling,
> broiling, rasting, baking,etc. : i
>
> Wendy

I usually use an electric toaster oven for small things like this. Maybe
he could get a solar oven, or let his wife cook.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>

> : If all goes as planned and I get use to the
> : taste of fresh zukes, I will be mooching tips
> : from you guys on zukes, again. :-)
>
> EAsiest thisng is to slice, seson with a little salt and pepper and
> microwave them covered, for up to 6 mins. If you cut them thick it may
> well take more time.
>
> Wendy

I made zucchini latkes last year, and I plan to again this year. I also
just picked up a recipe for oven-baked zucchini sticks and plan to try
that as well.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
> > plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
> > long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
> > 3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
> > on moist as the small and smaller ones.
> >
> > Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
> > them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
> > my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
> > stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
> > most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
> > about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
> > were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
> > much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
> > broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
> > product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

> I know what clarified butter means. But what does it mean here?
>
> <snip>

I suspect he means that the flesh of the zucchini became less opaque.
They will do that as they cook. They don't get really transparent, but
they get more see-through and less "white."

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 12:25 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article <Yes. >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I harvested my first five Zukes from my two biggest
>>> plants. Smallest was about an inch in diameter and 8 inches
>>> long. The largest was about 18 inches long and about
>>> 3-1/2 inch in diameter. And, the big was was as tender
>>> on moist as the small and smaller ones.
>>>
>>> Less than twenty minutes from harvest to pan! I cooked
>>> them in EVOO, sea salt, and Oregano. I cook them in
>>> my saute pan (lid cocked) for about 12 (I think) minutes,
>>> stirred about three times. It cooked them till they
>>> most of them were about 90% clarified. Some were
>>> about 80% clarified with some white left over. They
>>> were ever so slightly crunchy. (I despise vegetable
>>> much!). I made sure to drain off the heavenly
>>> broth, about 1/2 cup, with a devoured, so the finished
>>> product wouldn't get soggy in the container.

>> I know what clarified butter means. But what does it mean here?
>>
>> <snip>

> I suspect he means that the flesh of the zucchini became less opaque.
> They will do that as they cook. They don't get really transparent, but
> they get more see-through and less "white."
>
> PP

Yes, what she said!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/22/2013 11:39 PM, Billy wrote:
> Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.

Hi Billy,

Lets see:
Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
Therefore, I pass the on topic test.

You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
Thank you.

I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
have had yield problems for the past three years
and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.

I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.

What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

This year, I am using their plants and following their
recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
per recommendation.

So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
Now that is a FIRST!

I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
pan.

I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
their offspring for a drive in the country and
figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

I am babbling.

-T

WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
<snip interestin gardening advice>

: I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
incubating. Plan
: on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
: pan.

: I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
: going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
: their offspring for a drive in the country and
: figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

: I am babbling.

: -T

: WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.

Just my view on these vegetables.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 06:19 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>
> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
> incubating. Plan
> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> : pan.
>
> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>
> : I am babbling.
>
> : -T
>
> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>
> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>
> Just my view on these vegetables.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

From the store, ABSOLUTELY! The big ones are also
more bitter and really tough.

But, these are not store varieties. These are an
heirloom Costa Romaneco:

http://www.rareseeds.com/costata-romanesco-/

And, they are 20 minutes to the pan. They have not had a
chance to sit around and dehydrate.

I am really tickled because I can let them grow bigger and
get a lot more food out of them, they are as tender big
as small, and they are not bitter!

According to my CSA farmer, if I let them, they will
grow four feet long. Then they are a problem. (The
plant will go to seed too, as it will think it has
done its job.)

If you live in a long growing season (I don't), Rareseeds,
told me a trick to out witting squash bugs, is to plant
them late in the season. If you live in one of these
areas, you still have time. All you need is a dirt pot
and some organic soil and compost. Plus not too much water
and a bit of love.

You can try talking to them, like I do, but I am suspicious
that their response might be the wind. :-)

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 07:26 PM, Todd wrote:

> But, these are not store varieties. These are an
> heirloom Costa Romaneco:
>
> http://www.rareseeds.com/costata-romanesco-/

This is what caught my attention on the rareseeds web site.
From one of the reviews:

The large squash are sweet and firm. The flesh does
not get watery or bitter even when they are a foot
and a half long. I use the large ones in all the
same ways I use the small ones with no sacrifice of
flavor or texture. In addition, the large ones can
be sliced easily for grilling (and they are delicious
this way)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:19:58 +0000 (UTC), in alt.food.diabetic, "W.
Baker" > wrote:

>Todd > wrote:
><snip interestin gardening advice>
>
> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
>incubating. Plan
>: on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
>: pan.
>
>: I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
>: going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
>: their offspring for a drive in the country and
>: figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>
>: I am babbling.
>
>: -T
>
>: WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>
>Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
>have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
>giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
>better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
>taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
>grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>
>Just my view on these vegetables.
>
>Wendy

I like smaller zucchini too, Wendy. I think they are more tender. We
have a plot in the local community garden. We got a late start on our
plot, and the one we picked had a volunteer zucchini plant already
growing. It is a lebanese zucchini. It is yellow and green speckles.
It seems to get big quite fast. It does taste the same as the other
zucchini. I have been blanching and freezing the excess.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Todd > wrote:
> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>
> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
> incubating. Plan
> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> : pan.
>
> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>
> : I am babbling.
>
> : -T
>
> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>
> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>
> Just my view on these vegetables.

I don't think the giant ones are very flavorful, even though zucchini in and
of itself really isn't very flavorful. I used to be gifted with giant ones
all the time when I worked in the Garden Shop. I would just grate them and
make them into zucchini bread which I mostly gave away.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 09:52 PM, Karen wrote:
> I have been blanching and freezing the excess.

Hi Karen,

Okay, with my "Black Thumb" this may be wishful thinking
that I would have enough to freeze, but how do you do
this? Do you have a link with directions?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 07/26/2013 06:19 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>>
>> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
>> incubating. Plan
>> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
>> : pan.
>>
>> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
>> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
>> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
>> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>>
>> : I am babbling.
>>
>> : -T
>>
>> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>>
>> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
>> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
>> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
>> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
>> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
>> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>>
>> Just my view on these vegetables.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> From the store, ABSOLUTELY! The big ones are also
> more bitter and really tough.
>
> But, these are not store varieties. These are an
> heirloom Costa Romaneco:
>
> http://www.rareseeds.com/costata-romanesco-/
>
> And, they are 20 minutes to the pan. They have not had a
> chance to sit around and dehydrate.
>
> I am really tickled because I can let them grow bigger and
> get a lot more food out of them, they are as tender big
> as small, and they are not bitter!
>
> According to my CSA farmer, if I let them, they will
> grow four feet long. Then they are a problem. (The
> plant will go to seed too, as it will think it has
> done its job.)
>
> If you live in a long growing season (I don't), Rareseeds,
> told me a trick to out witting squash bugs, is to plant
> them late in the season. If you live in one of these
> areas, you still have time. All you need is a dirt pot
> and some organic soil and compost. Plus not too much water
> and a bit of love.
>
> You can try talking to them, like I do, but I am suspicious
> that their response might be the wind. :-)

Talking to plants actually does work as does playing music to them. This
was an experiment that we did in biology class. We hooked some sort of
meter to the plants and judged their reaction. When we said nice things
like, "I love you plant!" Or, "I'm going to water you now." Or, "You're
getting some food!" Or, "I'm going to clean you leaves!" And then of
course doing the appropriate action. Or played nice music, the meter
indicated a nice reaction.

But when we played really loud, jangly rock music, shouted at them or did
mean things like burn them with a cigarette lighter, the needle on the meter
went wild. And it didn't take long for the plant to respond to our voice.
The plant knew what we meant when we said we were going to burn it. After
burning it a few times, all we had to do was tell it that we were going to
burn it and the needle went wild. We really only did burn it a few times.
But after doing that, all we had to do was threaten to burn it and it would
freak.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 11:39 PM, Billy wrote:
> > Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.

> Hi Billy,
>
> Lets see:
> Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
> Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
> Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
> Therefore, I pass the on topic test.
>
> You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
> Thank you.

Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes I¹ve ever had was an
Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friend¹s house."

> I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
> have had yield problems for the past three years
> and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.
>
> I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
> farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.
>
> What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
> It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
> DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
> worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
> day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
> compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
> be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
> plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

Cultivated tomatoes originated as wild forms in the Peru-Ecuador-Bolivia
area of the Andes.

You can kill plants with chicken, or rabbit manure, as well as alfalfa
powder.

Farmers will drench their tomatoes, because it adds weight. It also
dilutes the flavor, so beware hot house tomatoes, and farmers who over
water.

> Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
> No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
> have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
> the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
> so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
water, and no more nitrogen.

> Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
> crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

Welcome to agriculture.

> This year, I am using their plants and following their
> recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
> of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
> 15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
> One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
> got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
> per recommendation.

2 Tbls/ gallon

> So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
> my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
> they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
> Now that is a FIRST!

It's not rocket science.

> I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
> on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> pan.
>
> I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> their offspring for a drive in the country and
> figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

> I am babbling.

Have another glass ;O)

> -T
>
> WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

You might want a consultation, if they start telling you that you are
the illegitimate son of the Emperor of the Universe, and that there are
assassins, which look like your neighbors, who are after you. In which
case you may want to commit yourself, or reconsider terrorizing your
neighbors with your zuchs, which look like the cocoon of an Antares
Dragon Wasp, their natural predator.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 11:34 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/22/2013 11:39 PM, Billy wrote:
>>> Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.

>> Hi Billy,
>>
>> Lets see:
>> Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
>> Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
>> Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
>> Therefore, I pass the on topic test.
>>
>> You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
>> Thank you.

> Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
> telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes I¹ve ever had was an
> Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friend¹s house."
>>
>> I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
>> have had yield problems for the past three years
>> and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.
>>
>> I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
>> farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.
>>
>> What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
>> It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
>> DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
>> worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
>> day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
>> compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
>> be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
>> plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

> Cultivated tomatoes originated as wild forms in the Peru-Ecuador-Bolivia
> area of the Andes.
>
> You can kill plants with chicken, or rabbit manure, as well as alfalfa
> powder.

I will be careful. I don't use anything the CSA farmer hasn't
told me too.

> Farmers will drench their tomatoes, because it adds weight. It also
> dilutes the flavor, so beware hot house tomatoes, and farmers who over
> water.
>>
>> Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
>> No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
>> have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
>> the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
>> so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

> Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
> water, and no more nitrogen.

Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
very, very little fruit.

>> Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
>> crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

> Welcome to agriculture.

I really respect what real farmers have to go through.
A combination of high tech and time honored, old
fashioned methods. And one hail storm ...

The local CSA farm has added two Franken Carp (that is
gold fish to non-trout fisherman) ponds to the mix.
They swim, eat, and poop. Then the poop water gets
sprayed on the crops, along with chicken poop from
their local flock of egg laying ladies. Tubes and
hoses everywhere. You have got to marvel at the
ingenuity/technology.

>> This year, I am using their plants and following their
>> recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
>> of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
>> 15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
>> One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
>> got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
>> per recommendation.

> 2 Tbls/ gallon

I have a gallon jug I fill up with water, then guess
at 2 Tablespoons. I wear tossable rubber gloves to
keep the stink off.

>> So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
>> my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
>> they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
>> Now that is a FIRST!

> It's not rocket science.

You have never had a black thumb. Yes it is.

>> I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
>> on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
>> pan.
>>
>> I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
>> going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
>> their offspring for a drive in the country and
>> figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

> Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

Where is the fun in that! How did you know, by the way?

>> I am babbling.

> Have another glass ;O)
>>
>> -T
>>
>> WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

> You might want a consultation, if they start telling you that you are
> the illegitimate son of the Emperor of the Universe, and that there are
> assassins, which look like your neighbors, who are after you. In which
> case you may want to commit yourself, or reconsider terrorizing your
> neighbors with your zuchs, which look like the cocoon of an Antares
> Dragon Wasp, their natural predator.

They are not? :-)

Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 11:34 PM, Billy wrote:
> Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
> telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes I¹ve ever had was an
> Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friend¹s house."

I wonder how he got away with it. There is a lot of skill
involved in this stuff.

This year's tomatoes:
Sun Gold x2
Sweet 100
Unknown Cherry that I forgot
Better Boy
Black Prince
Ancho Gigantea (same family as tomatoes)

All on the recommendation of the CSA farmers. Their
plants too.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 11:34 PM, Billy wrote:
> > Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
> > telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes I¹ve ever had was an
> > Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friend¹s house."

> I wonder how he got away with it. There is a lot of skill
> involved in this stuff.
>
> This year's tomatoes:
> Sun Gold x2
> Sweet 100
> Unknown Cherry that I forgot
> Better Boy
> Black Prince
> Ancho Gigantea (same family as tomatoes)

Families are important in crop rotation, but most people consider Ancho
Gigantea a pepper (Genus: Capsicum, species: annuum), as opposed to a
tomato (Genus: Solanum, species: lycopersicum,). Other members of the
Solanaceae Family, besides peppers, are potatoes, egg plant, Datura,
Mandragora (mandrake), and Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade). The
last 3 should not be consumed.

Gardeners are mostly interested in Families for crop rotation, Species
for cross pollination (usually unimportant with tomatoes), and Cultivars
for specific color, size, or taste.

<http://www.seedsavers.org/About-Us/>
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 23:14:09 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 07/26/2013 09:52 PM, Karen wrote:
>> I have been blanching and freezing the excess.

>Hi Karen,
>
>Okay, with my "Black Thumb" this may be wishful thinking
>that I would have enough to freeze, but how do you do
>this? Do you have a link with directions?
>
>-T

I don't have a link to that Todd. Sorry. I used directions in an old
Betty Crocker cookbook. It said to slice, then blanch the zucchini.
That is a process where you put the veggie in a pot of boiling for 2
or 3 minutes then quickly cool it down in a bowl of ice water. Drain
then put in containers to freeze. I am using a vacuum sealer so what
I do after draining is lay the slices on a cookie sheet and freeze
them that way. When they are frozen solid I bag them up and seal
them.

Okay, with sleuthing I came up with this:
http://www.pickyourown.org/pdfs/free...mer_squash.pdf

Hope this helps.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 11:34 PM, Billy wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Billy,
> >>
> >> Lets see:
> >> Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
> >> Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
> >> Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
> >> Therefore, I pass the on topic test.
> >>
> >> You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
> >> Thank you.

> > Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
> > telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes I¹ve ever had was an
> > Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friend¹s house."
> >>
> >> I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
> >> have had yield problems for the past three years
> >> and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.
> >>
> >> I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
> >> farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.
> >>
> >> What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
> >> It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
> >> DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
> >> worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
> >> day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
> >> compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
> >> be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
> >> plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

> > Cultivated tomatoes originated as wild forms in the Peru-Ecuador-Bolivia
> > area of the Andes.
> >
> > You can kill plants with chicken, or rabbit manure, as well as alfalfa
> > powder.

> I will be careful. I don't use anything the CSA farmer hasn't
> told me too.
>

> > Farmers will drench their tomatoes, because it adds weight. It also
> > dilutes the flavor, so beware hot house tomatoes, and farmers who over
> > water.
> >>
> >> Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
> >> No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
> >> have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
> >> the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
> >> so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

> > Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
> > water, and no more nitrogen.

> Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
> and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
> then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
> that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
> very, very little fruit.

Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
wants to survive.

> >> Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
> >> crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

> > Welcome to agriculture.

> I really respect what real farmers have to go through.
> A combination of high tech and time honored, old
> fashioned methods. And one hail storm ...
>
> The local CSA farm has added two Franken Carp (that is
> gold fish to non-trout fisherman) ponds to the mix.
> They swim, eat, and poop. Then the poop water gets
> sprayed on the crops, along with chicken poop from
> their local flock of egg laying ladies. Tubes and
> hoses everywhere. You have got to marvel at the
> ingenuity/technology.

Franken Carp? Like Franken Food: GMO?

Irrigation reservoirs aren't very efficient (too much surface area), but
better than nothing.

> >> This year, I am using their plants and following their
> >> recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
> >> of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
> >> 15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
> >> One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
> >> got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
> >> per recommendation.

> > 2 Tbls/ gallon

> I have a gallon jug I fill up with water, then guess
> at 2 Tablespoons. I wear tossable rubber gloves to
> keep the stink off.
>

> >> So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
> >> my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
> >> they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
> >> Now that is a FIRST!

> > It's not rocket science.

> You have never had a black thumb. Yes it is.

Each plant has its own needs for soil, nutrients, sun, and temp. You
just need to get to know them better. Feed the soil, and the soil will
take care of the crop.

> >> I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
> >> on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> >> pan.
> >>
> >> I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> >> going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> >> their offspring for a drive in the country and
> >> figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

> > Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

> Where is the fun in that! How did you know, by the way?

It's that time of the year, when people start locking doors to their
homes, and vehicles, because they know that gardeners will be dumping
zuchs.

--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 09:52 PM, Karen wrote:
> > I have been blanching and freezing the excess.

> Hi Karen,
>
> Okay, with my "Black Thumb" this may be wishful thinking
> that I would have enough to freeze, but how do you do
> this? Do you have a link with directions?
>
> -T

You can also just grate, and squeeze out the excess water. Divide into
useful amounts, bag, and freeze.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >
: > Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
: > water, and no more nitrogen.

: Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
: and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
: then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
: that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
: very, very little fruit.

Dint fertilize any more. too much and you get great plants with few
offspring.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Todd > wrote:
>> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>>
>> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
>> incubating. Plan
>> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
>> : pan.
>>
>> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
>> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
>> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
>> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>>
>> : I am babbling.
>>
>> : -T
>>
>> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>>
>> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
>> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
>> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
>> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
>> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
>> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>>
>> Just my view on these vegetables.

> I don't think the giant ones are very flavorful, even though zucchini in
> and of itself really isn't very flavorful. I used to be gifted with giant
> ones all the time when I worked in the Garden Shop. I would just grate
> them and make them into zucchini bread which I mostly gave away.

I went to a local farmer co-op today where the woman was bringing fresh
picked zukes in, a couple were fairly large and I bought them. I roasted
them in the oven with some red peppers and the squash was really good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 01:26 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>>>
>>> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
>>> incubating. Plan
>>> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
>>> : pan.
>>>
>>> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
>>> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
>>> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
>>> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>>>
>>> : I am babbling.
>>>
>>> : -T
>>>
>>> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>>>
>>> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
>>> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
>>> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
>>> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
>>> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
>>> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>>>
>>> Just my view on these vegetables.

>> I don't think the giant ones are very flavorful, even though zucchini
>> in and of itself really isn't very flavorful. I used to be gifted
>> with giant ones all the time when I worked in the Garden Shop. I
>> would just grate them and make them into zucchini bread which I mostly
>> gave away.

> I went to a local farmer co-op today where the woman was bringing fresh
> picked zukes in, a couple were fairly large and I bought them. I roasted
> them in the oven with some red peppers and the squash was really good.
>
> Cheri

Oh Man!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 10:32 AM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:

>> Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
>> and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
>> then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
>> that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
>> very, very little fruit.

> Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
> summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
> Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
> coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
> wants to survive.

Thank you. I will be careful.

> Franken Carp? Like Franken Food: GMO?

No, I am just insulting the things. Koi or domesticated common
carp (Cyprinus carpio) eat, poop and poop and poop and poop, add
tons of nitrogen to the water, cause algae blooms, starve off
the oxygen from the water, and make things miserable on trout.

Someone, probably thinking they were settings them free, released
a bunch of them in one of my favorite urban fishing ponds. The
word is to catch and kill. (There are a lot of trash can around
the pond.)

Much better just to unceremoniously flush them down the toilet
or give them to a farmer with a pond. There their excess pooping
an be put to good use.

And, Koi and UGLY too, hence the term "Franken Carp".

>>> Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

>> Where is the fun in that! How did you know, by the way?

> It's that time of the year, when people start locking doors to their
> homes, and vehicles, because they know that gardeners will be dumping
> zuchs.

You know you live in a small town when you have to lock your car
doors when you visit your neighbors, or you will find your back seat
filled with zucchini.

By the way, I am still waiting for that abundance of zukes
everyone keeps telling me about. And, yes, I do have friends
that would lie to me like that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 12:31 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : >
> : > Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
> : > water, and no more nitrogen.
>
> : Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
> : and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
> : then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
> : that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
> : very, very little fruit.
>

> Dint fertilize any more. too much and you get great plants with few
> offspring.
>
> Wendy

Thank you. I will just let nature take its course.

Now, I have to hunt for the dreaded squash bugs!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:20:00 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 07/27/2013 10:32 AM, Billy wrote:
>> In article >, Todd >
>> wrote:

>>> Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
>>> and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
>>> then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
>>> that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
>>> very, very little fruit.

>> Excess water, and fertilizer tells your plant that it is an endless
>> summer, and that they can grow, and grow, because there is no rush.
>> Cutting back on fertilizer, and water tells the plants that summer is
>> coming to an end, and that it had better produce seed (fruit), if it
>> wants to survive.

Actually the changing weather and shorter days plays a bigger role.

>Thank you. I will be careful.
>
>> Franken Carp? Like Franken Food: GMO?

>No, I am just insulting the things. Koi or domesticated common
>carp (Cyprinus carpio) eat, poop and poop and poop and poop, add
>tons of nitrogen to the water, cause algae blooms, starve off
>the oxygen from the water, and make things miserable on trout.
>
>Someone, probably thinking they were settings them free, released
>a bunch of them in one of my favorite urban fishing ponds. The
>word is to catch and kill. (There are a lot of trash can around
>the pond.)
>
>Much better just to unceremoniously flush them down the toilet
>or give them to a farmer with a pond. There their excess pooping
>an be put to good use.
>
>And, Koi and UGLY too, hence the term "Franken Carp".

>>> Where is the fun in that! How did you know, by the way?

>> It's that time of the year, when people start locking doors to their
>> homes, and vehicles, because they know that gardeners will be dumping
>> zuchs.

>You know you live in a small town when you have to lock your car
>doors when you visit your neighbors, or you will find your back seat
>filled with zucchini.
>
>By the way, I am still waiting for that abundance of zukes
>everyone keeps telling me about. And, yes, I do have friends
>that would lie to me like that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/27/2013 10:14 AM, Billy wrote:
> Families are important in crop rotation, but most people consider Ancho
> Gigantea a pepper (Genus: Capsicum, species: annuum), as opposed to a
> tomato (Genus: Solanum, species: lycopersicum,). Other members of the
> Solanaceae Family, besides peppers, are potatoes, egg plant, Datura,
> Mandragora (mandrake), and Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade). The
> last 3 should not be consumed.
>
> Gardeners are mostly interested in Families for crop rotation, Species
> for cross pollination (usually unimportant with tomatoes), and Cultivars
> for specific color, size, or taste.

Thank you!

Can you imagine what the first humans to try and hybrid
tomatoes/potatoes/peppers went through before they came up with
something non-poisonous? "Hay Fred. Try this red thing.
No Sam, you first."

Any tips on squash bugs?

I have a sprayer of organic pyrethrin. They buzzards like under
my squash and are quite sociable. So lift and one spray gets
them all.

But apparently, there larvae get inside the zuke stems/tubes
and liquefy the leaves and stems from the inside out. Then
the adults lay eggs in the soil to amuse and confound the next
year. I hate the things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 05:27 PM, DonOpple0paad wrote:

> Actually the changing weather and shorter days plays a bigger role.

Interesting. Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/27/2013 01:26 PM, Cheri wrote:

> >> I don't think the giant ones are very flavorful, even though zucchini
> >> in and of itself really isn't very flavorful. I used to be gifted
> >> with giant ones all the time when I worked in the Garden Shop. I
> >> would just grate them and make them into zucchini bread which I mostly
> >> gave away.

> > I went to a local farmer co-op today where the woman was bringing fresh
> > picked zukes in, a couple were fairly large and I bought them. I roasted
> > them in the oven with some red peppers and the squash was really good.
> >
> > Cheri

> Oh Man!

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

> Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
> sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
> care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/28/2013 10:15 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:
>
> Squash bugs:
>
>> Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
>> sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
>> care of the exposed bugs.
>>

> Hi Billy,
>
> Thank you!
>
> 1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
> have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
> they are there? How do they get at them?
>
> 2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
> work in the morning?
>
> 3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.
>
> -T

4) raw or cooked? I would tend to use the cooked so they
would not germinate.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

> On 07/27/2013 12:31 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> Todd > wrote:
>> : >
>> : > Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
>> : > water, and no more nitrogen.
>>
>> : Hmmmm. Last year, the CSA farmer had me add their bat poop
>> : and worm casing compost/amendment and a lot of water,
>> : then I got my two week bumper crop. Frustrating, before
>> : that, the plants grew like hell, lots of flowers, but
>> : very, very little fruit.
>>

>> Dint fertilize any more. too much and you get great plants with few
>> offspring.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Thank you. I will just let nature take its course.
>
> Now, I have to hunt for the dreaded squash bugs!

The groups working on free software occasionally hold bug squashing parties.
Different kind of bugs :-)