Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Zukes!

On 07/27/2013 10:14 AM, Billy wrote:
> Families are important in crop rotation, but most people consider Ancho
> Gigantea a pepper (Genus: Capsicum, species: annuum), as opposed to a
> tomato (Genus: Solanum, species: lycopersicum,). Other members of the
> Solanaceae Family, besides peppers, are potatoes, egg plant, Datura,
> Mandragora (mandrake), and Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade). The
> last 3 should not be consumed.
>
> Gardeners are mostly interested in Families for crop rotation, Species
> for cross pollination (usually unimportant with tomatoes), and Cultivars
> for specific color, size, or taste.

Thank you!

Can you imagine what the first humans to try and hybrid
tomatoes/potatoes/peppers went through before they came up with
something non-poisonous? "Hay Fred. Try this red thing.
No Sam, you first."

Any tips on squash bugs?

I have a sprayer of organic pyrethrin. They buzzards like under
my squash and are quite sociable. So lift and one spray gets
them all.

But apparently, there larvae get inside the zuke stems/tubes
and liquefy the leaves and stems from the inside out. Then
the adults lay eggs in the soil to amuse and confound the next
year. I hate the things.