Kathi Jones

Default growing zukes....preserving zukes

Hi all,

Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
something....

Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and even
THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and strawberries
got me wondering....

I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small ones
raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
cars, sheds etc.

So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess? Any
really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I remember
my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think I
could do that maybe once for old times sake.....

thanks, way in advance,
Kathi

George Shirley

Kathi Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
> something....
>
> Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and even
> THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and strawberries
> got me wondering....
>
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
>
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess? Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think I
> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
>
> thanks, way in advance,
> Kathi

Mine froze fairly well for use in soups and stews. The relish I made
with some was horrible, might have been tastier if I had put some green
food coloring in it to fool the eye. Never tried zuke pickles but if
you do let us know. I just never could get enough of them battered and
fried.

George

The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> Hi all, Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
> something....
> Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and even
> THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and strawberries
> got me wondering....
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess? Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think I
> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
> thanks, way in advance, Kathi

Maybe George can tell you about how many *not* to plant. This recipe uses all
kinda veggies. I don't see why you couldn't double up the squashes. They just
never stay crisp because of BWB, but if you use bigger chunks (walnut size)
they are pretty solid. OTOH, you could keep a pile of it in the fridge and not
can
it for a crispier do. Won a third at county fair, not packed tightly enuf.
Edrena

From _The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch
Preserving_,
by E. Topp & M.Howard, Firefly Books, c. 2001
Winter Salad Pickle [Sweet]
Makes 4 pint jars.
2 cups cauliflower florets [about 1/2 a cauliflower]
1 cup peeled pearl onions, or larger onions, quartered
1 cup thickly sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup thickly sliced zucchini [!!]
1 cup yellow beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into squares
3 cups white wine vinegar or Herb Vinegar
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons pickling salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika [I used hot, was not spicy]
1. Combine cauliflower, onions, celery and carrot in a large bowl.
Combine zucchini, beans and peppers in a separate bowl.
2. Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt and paprika in a large stainless
steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Add
cauliflower, onions, celery and carrot and return just to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in zucchini, beans and peppers.
3. Remove hot jars from canner. Remove vegetables from liquid with a
slotted spoon; pack into jars. Pour liquid over vegetables to within 1/2
inch of rim.
Process 10 minutes for pint jars and 15 minutes for quart jars.
Variation: use any combination of vegetables for a total of 8 cups.
Notes - broccoli and broclirab are not good for this. I thought the
beans a waste of time, but broad beans might be nice if not too tough.
Sugar snap peas got limp. I parboil the carrots 3-5 minutes - using baby
carrots is nice. Add baby corns, whole or in pieces! I had to add
processing time for altitude. Double the cauliflower & red pepper!
Green pepper will fade to a nasty color. Use a brightly colored jalepenyo
if you like. This stuff sold like hotcakes at the Farmers' Market.
*To go sugar free: reduce salt by half, delete sugar, use 1+ cups
Splenda, tasting as you go. Do not use Equal.

The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> Hi all, Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
> something....
> Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and even
> THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and strawberries
> got me wondering....
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess? Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think I
> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
> thanks, way in advance, Kathi

Maybe George can tell you about how many *not* to plant. This recipe uses all
kinda veggies. I don't see why you couldn't double up the squashes. They just
never stay crisp because of BWB, but if you use bigger chunks (walnut size)
they are pretty solid. OTOH, you could keep a pile of it in the fridge and not
can
it for a crispier do. Won a third at county fair, not packed tightly enuf.
Edrena

From _The Complete Book of Year-Round Small-Batch
[...]

Judith Umbria

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small

ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
>
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess?

Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I

remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think

> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
>
> thanks, way in advance,
> Kathi

The grated ones freeze perfectly well and can be used in a variety of ways
in winter.
Otherwise, while they are fresh look into regional Italian cookery, because
people here will buy them throughout the year for any price because they are
in so many things.

Judith Umbria

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small

ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
>
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess?

Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I

remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think

> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
>
> thanks, way in advance,
> Kathi

The grated ones freeze perfectly well and can be used in a variety of ways
in winter.
Otherwise, while they are fresh look into regional Italian cookery, because
people here will buy them throughout the year for any price because they are
in so many things.

Deb

> > So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess?

Any
> > really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I

remember
> > my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I

think I
> > could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
> >
> > thanks, way in advance,
> > Kathi
> >

> Mine froze fairly well for use in soups and stews. The relish I made
> with some was horrible, might have been tastier if I had put some green
> food coloring in it to fool the eye. Never tried zuke pickles but if
> you do let us know. I just never could get enough of them battered and
> fried.
>
> George

Kathi-
You have the opportunity to make new friends with the excess. Where do you
live? My garden never performs to my expectations. ;>

George-
I have made relish for years. The recipe calls for green food color and
every time I try way too hard to make it come out some color that looks
halfway natural. (Green food color + tumeric can easily turn ones stomach)

This past year I was lucky enough to get younger zukes and didn't have to
peel the tough rind off. I used multi color bell peppers instead of just
green and the relish was delightful. Speckles of red, yellow, orange, and
green looked a lot more enticing than the usual "sick calf' monochrome.

It was delightful in potato salad and deviled eggs.

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

Cow Whisperer

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
> something....
>
> Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and even
> THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and
> strawberries
> got me wondering....
>
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small
> ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
>
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess?
> Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I
> remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think
> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
>
> thanks, way in advance,
> Kathi

Grated and frozen in 2 cup amts is perfect for zuke bread, which is very
good (and easy).
Cow Whisperer

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, Ellen was wanting something to read, so I thought I'd post
> something....
>
> Even though there is still a foot or so of snow on the ground, and
> even THINKING about the garden is 2 months away, Edrena's onions and
> strawberries got me wondering....
>
> I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the
> small ones raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in
> George's shoes and have to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in
> the neighbour's front doors, cars, sheds etc.
>
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the
> excess? Any really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes
> out there? I remember my Mom grew them when we were kids and she
> stuffed the big ones - I think I could do that maybe once for old
> times sake.....

> thanks, way in advance,
> Kathi

I've a recipe for bread and butter-type pickles using zucchini. IIRC,
it's about the same prep as using cukes. AFAIK, I'm the only person who
can't grow them. I buy them at the farmers market. Get your baby
blankets ready, Kathi. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Deb" >
wrote:

> George-
> I have made relish for years. The recipe calls for green food color and
> every time I try way too hard to make it come out some color that looks
> halfway natural. (Green food color + tumeric can easily turn ones
> stomach)

Eeew. Doesn't that lead to blue?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Deb" >
> wrote:
>

>>George-
>>I have made relish for years. The recipe calls for green food color and
>>every time I try way too hard to make it come out some color that looks
>>halfway natural. (Green food color + tumeric can easily turn ones
>>stomach)

> Eeew. Doesn't that lead to blue?

My last year's sweet pickle relish had a lot of really ripe red bell
pepper in it. Came out a beautiful shade of red so I didn't put in
coloring in it. Normally about 4 drops of green in a big pot of it turns
it a rich green. Did have some blue corn once, startled the DW when she
came back to the stove to stir that cream of corn. She keeps the food
coloring locked up now.

George, also up at 0430 this morning, wish it had been a grandbaby
instead of back pain that got me up

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Deb" >
> wrote:
>

>>George-
>>I have made relish for years. The recipe calls for green food color and
>>every time I try way too hard to make it come out some color that looks
>>halfway natural. (Green food color + tumeric can easily turn ones
>>stomach)

> Eeew. Doesn't that lead to blue?

My last year's sweet pickle relish had a lot of really ripe red bell
pepper in it. Came out a beautiful shade of red so I didn't put in
coloring in it. Normally about 4 drops of green in a big pot of it turns
it a rich green. Did have some blue corn once, startled the DW when she
came back to the stove to stir that cream of corn. She keeps the food
coloring locked up now.

George, also up at 0430 this morning, wish it had been a grandbaby
instead of back pain that got me up

Deb

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Deb" >
> wrote:
>
> > George-
> > I have made relish for years. The recipe calls for green food color and
> > every time I try way too hard to make it come out some color that looks
> > halfway natural. (Green food color + tumeric can easily turn ones
> > stomach)

> Eeew. Doesn't that lead to blue?
> --

Maybe - if I'da kept going. It was more chartruese and kept getting worse
every time I added another drop or two of food color..

But the batch I made last year with baby zukes didn't need food color.
'twas 'relish' color with the little bits of green, red, orange, and yellow.
My young buddy who helped 'man' the grinder called it 'Confetti Relish' and
was overjoyed that he got to take some home and some to Grandma's house.
(He said it was better'n Grandma's -- there can't be any higher praise)

Deb
--
In Oregon, the pacific northWET. NWF habitat #32964

The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> ... I'm thinking of planting zucchini this year, because I enjoy the small
> ones
> raw and stir fried, but I don't want to end up in George's shoes and have
> to secretly stash dozens and dozens of 'em in the neighbour's front doors,
> cars, sheds etc.
> So, here's the question - if I plant 'em, what'll I do with the excess? Any
> really favourite relishes and crunchy pickles recipes out there? I remember
> my Mom grew them when we were kids and she stuffed the big ones - I think I
> could do that maybe once for old times sake.....
> thanks, way in advance,

Kathi - was doing some file maintenance and ran across this. Edrena

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:29:48 -0500
From: zxcvbob >
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking, rec.food.preserving

I finally made that zucchini* cobbler, and it tastes exactly like apple.
And the texture is the same as apples.

I cut up about 4 cups of peeled and seeded overripe zukes, and mixed them
with a 1/2 cup frozen concentrated apple juice, 1/2 cup sugar, a heaping
tsp. cornstarch, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice. I made a batter with 1
cup self risin' flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 stick margerine, 1/2 cup milk, and a
tsp powdered egg whites (I was out of fresh eggs.) Poured the batter on
top and baked at 375 degrees in my electric roaster out on the back porch
for about 40 minutes.
The only problem was, the zukes have so much water, they shrink a lot and
the topping soaks up their juice -- so you end up with too much topping and
not enough fruit. Next time, I'll use twice as much filling, and I'll
probably use 1/4 cup of lemon juice instead of the apple juice concentrate.
Using up twice as much next time zucchini is a good thing.
Best regards, Bob

*Not really zucchini, but that tatume squash I mentioned a couple of
weeks ago. Giant zucchini would work the same, or probably a small
green pumpkin.

End of Growing Season Brooklyn1 General Cooking 9 07-10-2016 09:38 PM
Zukes! Todd Diabetic 45 03-08-2013 03:29 AM
Zukes Up The Greasy Kazoo Brooklyn1 General Cooking 27 24-08-2011 02:04 PM
Gad zukes - the aftermath Paul M. Cook General Cooking 7 07-08-2010 07:06 PM
growing zukes....preserving zukes Kathi Jones Preserving 0 03-03-2005 10:17 PM