Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Zukes!

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/22/2013 11:39 PM, Billy wrote:
> > Cut back on the water to the tomatoes, and they will taste even better.

> Hi Billy,
>
> Lets see:
> Diabetics: food is involved, so check.
> Food: tomateos and zukes are food, so check again
> Alt: I am a bit (only a bit!) weird, so three checks.
> Therefore, I pass the on topic test.
>
> You are not the first one to tell me this about the water.
> Thank you.

Chez Panisse founder Alice Waters is a fan of the Early Girl tomato,
telling an interviewer "[O]ne of the best tomatoes Iıve ever had was an
Early Girl that was dry-farmed up in Napa at a friendıs house."

> I am even worse at gardening than I am at cooking. I
> have had yield problems for the past three years
> and the ones I did get, tasted mushy.
>
> I finally figured out who to talk to. It is the
> farmers at the CSA farm. Duh! Not nursery operators.
>
> What they told me is this. My pot needs to have drainage.
> It does. Tomatoes are an Amazon vine. The get their butts
> DRENCHED every day like clock work. Something like 12 inches
> worth. The trick is that the roots can't stay wet all
> day (drainage). Next, liberally fertilize with organic
> compost and amendment (fish head fertilizer). It must
> be organic, as organic fertilizers can not burn your
> plants if you overdue it. (What? Me overdue it? NEVER!)

Cultivated tomatoes originated as wild forms in the Peru-Ecuador-Bolivia
area of the Andes.

You can kill plants with chicken, or rabbit manure, as well as alfalfa
powder.

Farmers will drench their tomatoes, because it adds weight. It also
dilutes the flavor, so beware hot house tomatoes, and farmers who over
water.

> Too little water and my flowers turn brown and fall off.
> No fruit. I made this mistake in a grand fashion. We
> have adiabatic drying winds (means the wind sucks all
> the water out of everything) here in the high desert,
> so watering takes on a whole different dimension.

Yes, they aren't drought resistant. Once they flower, cut back on the
water, and no more nitrogen.

> Last year, when I finally got it right, I had a huge
> crop, but it froze two weeks later. S---!

Welcome to agriculture.

> This year, I am using their plants and following their
> recommendations to the "T". I already have a huge crop
> of green ones. Looks like I and going to have about
> 15 ripe ones by Sunday (the day I usually pick).
> One of the plants has yet to produce any fruit. It
> got drenched in fish head fertilizer yesterday, as
> per recommendation.

2 Tbls/ gallon

> So far, so good. The six I picked last week made
> my wife and my eyes roll in out heads. She said
> they actually tasted better than the CSA farm.
> Now that is a FIRST!

It's not rocket science.

> I have a HUGE club sized Zuke incubating. Plan
> on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> pan.
>
> I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> their offspring for a drive in the country and
> figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.

Eat them small, and stop terrorizing your neighbors.

> I am babbling.

Have another glass ;O)

> -T
>
> WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)

You might want a consultation, if they start telling you that you are
the illegitimate son of the Emperor of the Universe, and that there are
assassins, which look like your neighbors, who are after you. In which
case you may want to commit yourself, or reconsider terrorizing your
neighbors with your zuchs, which look like the cocoon of an Antares
Dragon Wasp, their natural predator.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>