Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default Zukes!

On 07/26/2013 06:19 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> <snip interestin gardening advice>
>
> : I have a HUGE club sized Zuke
> incubating. Plan
> : on cooking it Sunday. Should fill my entire saute
> : pan.
>
> : I wonder how much longer these dumb-dumb plants are
> : going to buy my cock-'n-bull story about taking
> : their offspring for a drive in the country and
> : figure out what I am REALLY doing with them.
>
> : I am babbling.
>
> : -T
>
> : WHAT? Plants don't talk. Oh please! :-)
>
> Do you realy like those giant zuchinni? most prefer the small ones and
> have the giants oly because they kind of got away form them. If I get a
> giant, I always stuff it king of like a stuffed canal boat, as it tastes
> better that way. when Ibuy, I always go for the small yong ones. they
> taste beter in all the simple day to day preparations like microwaving,
> grillingas halved sliced lengthwise.
>
> Just my view on these vegetables.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

From the store, ABSOLUTELY! The big ones are also
more bitter and really tough.

But, these are not store varieties. These are an
heirloom Costa Romaneco:

http://www.rareseeds.com/costata-romanesco-/

And, they are 20 minutes to the pan. They have not had a
chance to sit around and dehydrate.

I am really tickled because I can let them grow bigger and
get a lot more food out of them, they are as tender big
as small, and they are not bitter!

According to my CSA farmer, if I let them, they will
grow four feet long. Then they are a problem. (The
plant will go to seed too, as it will think it has
done its job.)

If you live in a long growing season (I don't), Rareseeds,
told me a trick to out witting squash bugs, is to plant
them late in the season. If you live in one of these
areas, you still have time. All you need is a dirt pot
and some organic soil and compost. Plus not too much water
and a bit of love.

You can try talking to them, like I do, but I am suspicious
that their response might be the wind. :-)

-T