Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Donating to the Food Bank

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:55:46 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
>> >
>> > Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> > power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove
>> > is
>> > useless and they can't cook anything.
>> >
>> > Janet UK

>> I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
>> on their home. If this is not the case, please correct.

> There is a property tax payable on each dwelling, but it's not always
> payable by the inhabitants. Homeless mothers with children are often
> accommodated in a Bed and Breakfast (one room): they don't pay CT, or
> have access to cooking facilities or washing machine.
>
> But if
>> these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
>> utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
>> year??

> The name of that tax is Council Tax. Some people supported by certain
> state benefits are not charged CT.
>
>> If they work, then they take showers at work or a local hostel?

> Showers provided at workplaces are the exception rather than the rule
> here.
>
>> Where do they wash their clothes if they have no power at home
>> to do their laundry?

> Some people wear the same clothes every day and don't wash.
>
> Or do they have water at home to use the
>> bathroom or do they visit a local gas station, quick mart, etc.
>> to take care of bodily functions?

> Have you never been in a public lavatory and wondered why there's
> someone in there washing her hair or feet in the sink?

I have never seen either. Then again, we have plenty of beaches here and
they usually have showers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
web.com...
> "Julie Bove" > Wrote in message:

>>> Oh, and as I told Julie, DO NOT buy food just to give it to the food
>>> bank. Just donate the money you would have spent directly to the food
>>> bank.
>>>
>>> The food bank buys food from their USDA contractors (food
>>> manufacturers) at about an 80% discount. That box of Tuna Helper you
>>> bought for $1.75, the food bank could have bought 4 boxes for that
>>> same price, and had $.35 left over to help pay for their facilities.

>> You did tell me that. But that being said, I still donate items. I can
>> get
>> items for free. Currently I have people in my own life who are needy. So
>> give to them. Otherwise I would give to the food bank.
>>

> I love that you take advantage of coupons and free offers to give
> to food banks. I need to remember that when I see the same types
> of offers. Sometimes I'll see a BOGO and give the freebie to my
> neighbor because they struggle too sometimes but I don't always
> think about it f for canned food and other non perishables. But
> if I see a buy one 5lb bag of potatoes and get one free I always
> grab that free one even though I'd never use it myself
> --

I have never seen such an offer on potatoes here. But my friends and I do
sometimes swap things out, including potatoes. One is elderly and lives
alone so she can't finish off a bag. She might take a few potatoes in
exchange for something she has too much of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In article >, says...
>> >
>> > There's going to be a big event/food bank drive on Dataw on
>> > 10/29/17. It's in conjunction with a golf tournament.
>> >
>> > The organizers are going to set out 19 collection bins around the
>> > island that morning for food donations. One of the bins will be
>> > just down the street. I'll be donating.
>> >
>> > They're asking for canned food due to the long shelf-life. Also,
>> > the collection bins will be sitting outside for hours. No frozen
>> > or refrigerated food, please. Oh, and the people coming around to
>> > pick up the donations that afternoon won't have any way to guard
>> > against glass bottles/jars breaking so they'd rather none of those,
>> > either.
>> >
>> > I was told along with canned vegetables the emphasis is really on
>> > protein. Peanut butter (in plastic jars) was suggested. Along
>> > with canned beans, I'm thinking dried beans.

>> Dried beans need plenty of cooking, People who are homeless don't
>> have facilities and poor people often don't cook because of the fuel
>> cost... so rice spices and dry herbs might not be usable. Best to
>> give stuff that can be eaten cold from a tin (tuna,salmon, fruit,
>> canned rice) or just warmed up quickly (baked beans).
>>
>> Janet UK

> I'm sorry, it may not have been clear. This isnt just homeless with
> USA foodbanks, but those on limited income who do have pots, pans, and
> ability to cook. Just short of money and leading to eating dog or cat
> food if they don't have help.

At my food bank, many are homeless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> They can't turn peoples electric or gas off here in the winter.

They can here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:58:48 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>> > ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>> > that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>> > to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

>> That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food
>> bank
>> *are* homeless.
>>

> Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

Jinxy! You think everyone is dumb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:58:45 PM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> >
> > In article >,

says...

> > > I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
> > > on their home. If this is not the case, please correct.

> > There is a property tax payable on each dwelling, but it's not always
> > payable by the inhabitants. Homeless mothers with children are often
> > accommodated in a Bed and Breakfast (one room): they don't pay CT, or
> > have access to cooking facilities or washing machine.
> >

> Property taxes here are paid by the owner. If a person rents a home
> they don't pay the taxes.
> >
> > But if
> > > these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
> > > utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
> > > year??

> > The name of that tax is Council Tax. Some people supported by certain
> > state benefits are not charged CT.
> >

> Ok, that would be termed the projects here and they don't pay property
> tax. But they have to meet certain requirements to be able to live
> in these dwellings.

You might be confusing UK "Council Tax " with UK. "Council Housing".
Council Housing is liable for CT in just the same way privately owned
or rented houses are. Private owners can qualify for CTax exemption.

Whether or not people receive CT benefit (or any other state benefits)
is unrelated to their type of housing. The inhabitants of Council
Housing are not classed as low-lifes and it's certainly not the case
that most criminals live in Council Housing.

> Usually, not always, if there is any crime or
>criminal activity it mostly originates in these low income housings.

Really? Lots of crime here is committed by affluent people who own
several homes. Plenty of Council House occupants are hardworking
respectable people who don't commit crime.

When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
dumping ground.
The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
shortage of social housing for those in need.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_Tax

> > "Council Tax is a local taxation system used in England, Scotland and
> > Wales. It is a tax on domestic property which was introduced in 1993 by
> > the Local Government Finance Act 1992, replacing the Community Charge
> > (popularly known as the Poll Tax). Each property is assigned one of
> > eight bands (A to H) based on property value, and the tax is set as a
> > fixed amount for each band. Some property is exempt from the tax, some
> > people are exempt from the tax, while some get a discount."
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> Sounds at least as complex as our system.

Right now, the highly complex state benefit system in UK is undergoing
a universal much-needed changeover to a much simpler more streamlined
one. The changeover from old to new system includes a badly planned
hiatus in payments which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for the
some of the neediest recipients.

Janet UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:57:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 7:04:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:12:52 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm assuming people in the UK have to pay property taxes each year
>> >on their home. If this is not the case, please correct. But if
>> >these people you speak of have homes but can't afford to pay their
>> >utility bills how are they able to pay the property tax bill each
>> >year??

>> = rates in the UK
>>

>Explanation, please.

Apparently that has changed, see S. Veimiesters post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:37:37 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
>the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
>had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
>property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
>dumping ground.
> The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
>stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
>council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
>shortage of social housing for those in need.

Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> snip
>

>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>> some things are packaged.

> snip
>
> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
> food.

Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
bit of respect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
> the food bank bin?

http://www.hostpic.org/images/1710121731370096.jpg

:-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Maybe he's thinking of someone living in a clearing in a tent in the
> woods... who could dig a small pit and put rocks around it. Gather
> kindling and wood. I do hope he has some matches.

Ya know, that is one of my "bucket list" things to do.
Starting a fire with no advantages.
Just use dry wood and maybe strong fresh vines.
I will have a knife though. I've got a good Buck hunting knife.

I've watched so many survival shows about it.
Seem like the bow and drill is the best way.
Needs some strong vines though for the "string".

I plan to try this someday on the beach and start a fire
and eat some oysters harvested just offshore.

heheh I'll certainly write if I ever do this but don't
hold your breath. I've been planning this for years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:37:37 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> > When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
> >the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
> >had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
> >property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
> >dumping ground.
> > The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
> >stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
> >council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
> >shortage of social housing for those in need.

> Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

Not what I've heard. MT was a good PM but only the liberals hated
her just like at the time the liberals here hated Reagan. IMO,
both were damn good at their jobs. In my lifetime, Reagan was the
best President we ever had. Let the bombs fly and burst now from
all the liberals wailing and gnashing their teeth. hahaha
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:37:37 +0100, Janet > wrote:
> >
> > > When Margaret Thatcher was PM she offered all Council House tenants
> > >the chance to buy and own their home and many did. In other words, they
> > >had a sufficient steady earned income to obtain a mortgage; and the
> > >property and its community were desirable places to live, not a social
> > >dumping ground.
> > > The money raised should have been ringfenced to build replacement
> > >stock of social housing for rent, but wasn't. As a result, so many
> > >council houses passed into private ownership, the UK now has a dire
> > >shortage of social housing for those in need.

> > Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

> Not what I've heard. MT was a good PM

as usual, you're misinformed.

http://historylists.org/events/10-ke...d-to-margaret-
thatchers-resignation.html

Margaret Thatcher lost her PM job in the most public, brutal and
humiliating way possible, in mid-term, forced to resign by her own
Conservative party Cabinet ministers because she was a political
disaster.

Telegraph is a right-wing Tory supporting paper.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-
thatcher/9980358/Margaret-Thatcher-Brought-down-by-the-sharks-in-the-
water.html

"When the longest premiership of the modern age came to a crashing end
in November 1990, it was neither the Labour Party nor the British
electorate that defeated Baroness Thatcher. It was her own colleagues. "

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>

>>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>>> some things are packaged.

>> snip
>>
>> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
>> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
>> food.

>Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
>bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
>bit of respect.

I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
Cans can survive that, glass not so much.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-12, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

While I can agree on some things, pickles, relish, beets!, etc,
howzabout them jams and jellies? You know, the little things that
make a poor person feel "normal".

In fact, getting so it's hard to find anything made of glass, anymore.
Syrups, honeys --even booze-- and the like, are now sold in plastic
containers. A person hasta go outta his/her way to even find glass,
anymore.

Bottom line: if a person is hungary enough, (s)he will find a way to
prepare/eat ANY food.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-10-12 11:17 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 08:32:46 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
>> bottles and jars. They are donations and can be treated with a little
>> bit of respect.

> I am not familiar with a situation where careful comes into play. Like
> Jill's situation, I see collection bins on a pallet. Like those huge
> boxes you see watermelons in, or pumpkins or winter squash. You dump
> your offering in and someone behind you dumps their offering. There
> are semis parked nearby and a guy with a front-end loader is picking
> up these pallet boxes and running them into a truck. There's no
> little old lady sitting at a table accepting 6 cans of tuna. There
> are cars in a block long line behind me waiting to off load their
> stuff, often little children are helping drop things into the box.
> Cans can survive that, glass not so much.

Okay then. Their problem is with the process. I have worked on food
drives where volunteers went door to door. There had been advance notice
and some people had filled bags and left them on the porch. Someone with
a pickup truck was with the group and they would load the bags of
donations into the truck. The trucks then drove to the organization's
depot and unloaded them by hand...carefully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2017 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> No cookies! No Pop tarts! No Pancake syrup! M

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 3:45 AM, Janet wrote:
> The changeover from old to new system includes a badly planned
> hiatus in payments which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for the
> some of the neediest recipients.

**** THE POOR!

It's the englie way after all..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 4:31 AM, Bruce wrote:
> Margaret Thatcher is a universal symbol of how not to run a country.

You're a know-nothing leftarded MORON!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 7:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Any other suggestions for shelf-stable and/or or canned items to put in
>> the food bank bin?

> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1710121731370096.jpg
>
> :-D

Has that been declawed???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 7:22 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ya know, that is one of my "bucket list" things to do.
> Starting a fire with no advantages.
> Just use dry wood and maybe strong fresh vines.
> I will have a knife though. I've got a good Buck hunting knife.

Ya know, screw purism, add this to your knife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQIvjhN-FjE

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnes...ter-66560.html

Magnesium Fire Starter
Item#66560
Start a fire easily even in damp conditions with the magnesium fire starter

Compare Similar $3.99 Only: $2.99

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 8:41 AM, Janet wrote:
> Telegraph is a right-wing Tory supporting paper.

Vinegar tits and reality =/ no match.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 9:03 AM, Janet wrote:
>> I teased you but I retract that.

> You said I was lying. Now you're the one with no credibility left,
> except as a crawling gobshite.

You give vinegar:

https://fi.realself.com/original/b002-36114.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
> snip
>

>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>> some things are packaged.

> snip
>
> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
> food.
> Janet US

In my OP I mentioned the donated food will be placed in containers
around the island. Voluteers are going to drive around and pick the
food up in their personal vehicles. They shouldn't have to worry about
glass breakage. People who want to donate food in glass containers
should drive it to the actual food bank facility. They asked for canned
because it doesn't break and it stores for a very long time. Ditto
dried pasta and such.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 8:32 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-10-12 12:34 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:58:24 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>

>>> They are getting pretty picky of they don't want glass. That is the way
>>> some things are packaged.

>> snip
>>
>> Glass containers can break, particularly in a food drive situation.
>> The contents from broken containers spill and ruin the surrounding
>> food.

> Okay. They can try to be a little more careful. Some things come in
> bottles and jars.Â* They are donations and can be treated with a little
> bit of respect.

That's nuts. Did you read my original post? These are volunteers
collecting/transporting food from bins around the island. In their
personal vehicles. No skin off your nose if they have a bottle or two
break in the trunk of their car, eh?

They asked for canned food for a reason.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 18:58:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message

>>> But those are not canned and...
>>>

>> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

>That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food bank
>*are* homeless.

Um, typically the homeless frequent soup kitchens.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:06:05 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:04:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> That's not necessarily true. And in this area, many served by the food bank
>>> *are* homeless.
>>>

>>Is that not what I said, dumb ass?

>Do you know how this makes YOU look?

Several tiers more intelligent than you. NYC probably has more
homeless than any other US city and they rarely frequent food banks
mainly because they have no facilities for cooking or refrigeration.
The homeless dine at soup kitchens and NYC has many. Even Long Island
has a lot of homeless, but most of the churches maintain a soup
kitchen and that's where they go for a meal. When I lived on Long
Island there was an elderly homeless man who pushed a shopping cart
that contained all his worldly belongings and his cat. I wouldn't
give him money as he'd spend it on booze but each day I'd leave cat
food in my rural mailbox, in warm weather canned, in freezing weather
a zip-loc of dried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/12/2017 11:00 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:26:28 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 17:41:33 -0300, wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 16:32:59 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Good point Dave! They shouldn't be allowed anything comforting to
>>> them! I would love to think you might fall on hard times sometime in
>>> the future!

>> Worse, is the people who want to dictate what food banks/pantries can
>> distribute. No cookies! No Pop tarts! No Pancake syrup! Make them
>> eat beans and rice!
>>
>> -sw

> I think poor people need those little comforts more than anyone else.
> It's about having access to 'normal.'
> Janet US

Absolutely. Unless you've been up close with some of these people you
cannot understand the situation. People that have just about nothing
are also more willing to share than people that are better to do
financially.

There are many reasons for their situation too. Yes, some may be lazy,
but they are the minority. Some just don't have the ability, others get
caught in layoffs in a poor economy, others just can't handle the
pressure any more. I know of a few situations, like a former accountant
working as a machine operator where little skill is needed. A lawyer
working second shift on an assembly line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 19:06:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Janet" > wrote in message
.. .
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> Learn to read, dummy. Jill's post said they are requesting
>>> ***shelf-stable AND/OR canned items.*** About the only people
>>> that will be, if any, eating directly out of the can are going
>>> to be transients aka drifter/hobo/homeless.

>> Don't you believe it; I've encounterd people who have a home with no
>> power, heating or light because they can't pay the bill; so the stove is
>> useless and they can't cook anything.

>Yes. I went to school with a family of kids who had no electricity or
>running water most of the time. When they did have electricity, the only
>thing they had to cook in was a popcorn popper. I never saw the thing but my
>friend said that canned soup could be heated in it. They did own the house
>but the appliances had long since broken.

I say bullshit... I've been using air poppers most of my life, no way
will a can of soup fit... and even if it could I doubt condensed soup
would heat through before it would begin to burn. And cans of soup
not condensed wouldn't come close to fitting.
Besides most any thrift store will have several small electric
appliances one can cook with one can buy for like 2-3 dollars.... I've
seen lots of electric woks at yard sales. electric percolators too.

Anyone else donating food to the occupiers? Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 148 14-10-2011 12:58 AM
Food Bank Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 60 01-10-2008 08:05 PM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 14 26-10-2006 08:40 PM
Food Event -- Foothill Unity Center, Inc. & L A Regional Food Bank Harriet Neal General Cooking 0 06-04-2006 05:32 AM
Food Bank! jmcquown General Cooking 32 13-05-2005 10:27 PM